Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 08:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Rider, 100 gms is not low carb. It's lowER, but not low.

You won't reap the benefits without going LOW. That's why I suggest Dr Atkins. Avoid the Atkins website, as it's not his plan, it's the plan of the corporation that uses his name, and wants to sell their products.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 08:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider44
thanks for sharing the page and the video, I enjoyed very much, especially, the real food vs the processed food

I don't eat much sugar, but not sure how much sugar are there in the processed food which I eat:-(, need to take a close look.

Don't get confused by the grams of "sugar" listed on any processed food label. ALL carbohydrates turn into sugar once in your body.

To know how many TEASPOONS of sugar are in any product....

# of teaspoons of sugar equals (total grams of carbohydrates minus grams of fiber) divided by 5.

When you're looking at the label - don't pay attention to the total sugars. That's misleading. You're looking for the total carbohydrates, which turn into the same sugars in your bloodstream that regular sugar is.

And the real kicker...Normal sugar (100 on your meter) in the blood represents approximately 1 teaspoon, or about 5g of sugar!

An excellent visual and explanation here: https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/dia...b-for-diabetes/

Dr Westman uses this information in all his classes, even for the med students. It's a simple math formula, and scary to think what some foods do us when the blood can only handle 1 teaspoon.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 09:24

Mentioned Thin and young Asian diabetics earlier in this thread...
LA Times article about exactly this:
http://www.latimes.com/health/la-me...0419-story.html

Dr Ron Sinha has his own LC Paleo book, South Asian Diet, and podcast.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 12:49

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Rider - Even tho 100g of carbs per day is only "lowish carb," I think your plan to cut down from 200g carbs/day to 100g per day is a good one...especially as you mentioned that 1) you are a long-term diabetic and using glipizide which can easily cause hypoglycemia and 2) you don't need to lose weight.

On half as many carbs, you will need a lot less medication than you are currently taking. It would be really good if you could get a KNOWLEDGEABLE doctor to assist you with determining the proper dosage of your metformin and glipizide to go along with your reduced carbs. But, if your doctor won't assist you and you have to go it alone, then make all changes SLOWLY and monitor the results carefully.

You don't want to go into hypoglycemia. But, if you find that you have a tendency to go that way, the problem is not the lower-carb diet, the problem is too much medication!

Right now, you're driving a car (your body) down the highway with hurricane force winds (a high carbohydrate diet) attempting to push you off the highway in one direction (hyperglycemia). The hyperglycemia side of the road is strewn with rocks and ruts and thorn bushes that get worse and worse the further off the road you get. But, even the shoulder of the road (BG greater than 125) on that side is rough enough that every time you slip off the road on that side, your car takes a little bit of a beating. Maybe not enough to notice it but the tires are wearing out faster than they should, the paint is getting scratched up, etc.

But, instead of teaching you that YOU can actually control the winds by choosing a low carbohydrate diet, the standard medical treatment is to give you strong medications that basically keep the steering wheel of your car constantly turned INTO the wind.

But, of course, if you steer too hard into the wind, your car has a tendency to go off the road in the other direction (hypoglycemia). And, the hypoglycemia side of the road is a steep cliff drop-off that can kill you instantly!

So, knowing that your meds CAN force you off of the road and down that cliff, the doctors tell you "if you start to go off the cliff of hypoglycemia, eat some SUGAR so the carbohydrate winds will be even stronger and therefore can push you back in the other direction away from the cliff!!!

So most diabetics spend their lives constantly veering from one side of the road to the other. And to decrease the risk that their patients will drive off the cliff, many doctors (in fact MOST) tell them to deliberately try to drive along the hyperglycemic shoulder of the road (keep their A1C at around 6.5) even though the doctors know or should know that driving along that shoulder of the road is doing daily damage to their patients' bodies. After all, beat-up tires and a rusty paint job IS better than smashing off the hypoglycemia cliff.

But, wouldn't it be so much better to teach patients how to STOP the glucose winds from blowing? Then diabetics could drive straight down the smooth paved center of the highway like everybody else does! The risks of both hypoglycemia AND hyperglycemia would go away! But then, patients wouldn't need nearly as much medication and drug companies couldn't make nearly as much money off of their misery.

When you cut carbs, the winds WILL drop. You'll need to compensate for the reduced winds by reducing the amount of meds you take.

That's why, for diabetics on insulin or meds like glipizide, it is better/safer to SLOWLY reduce carb levels so they have time to figure out how much to reduce the meds to compensate for each change.

I think, what you're going to find is that it is a WHOLE lot easier to steer your car down the middle of the smooth highway when the winds you're dealing with drop from hurricane force down to merely a stiff breeze. I suspect you'll like the change so much that you will soon decide to drop your carbs even further.

Good luck. Go slow! And keep us posted! Oh, and to keep from losing weight, if you cut 100 g carbs from your daily diet, then ADD in about 10 to 20 g extra protein and 40 to 50 g extra FAT daily to keep your calorie intake about the same as it is now.

Last edited by bevangel : Sat, Apr-30-16 at 13:53.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 13:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Bev, that was kind of beautiful.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 22:41
Registered Member

Plan: based on the book below
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 178cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Don't get confused by the grams of "sugar" listed on any processed food label. ALL carbohydrates turn into sugar once in your body.

To know how many TEASPOONS of sugar are in any product....

# of teaspoons of sugar equals (total grams of carbohydrates minus grams of fiber) divided by 5.

When you're looking at the label - don't pay attention to the total sugars. That's misleading. You're looking for the total carbohydrates, which turn into the same sugars in your bloodstream that regular sugar is.

And the real kicker...Normal sugar (100 on your meter) in the blood represents approximately 1 teaspoon, or about 5g of sugar!

An excellent visual and explanation here: https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/dia...b-for-diabetes/

Dr Westman uses this information in all his classes, even for the med students. It's a simple math formula, and scary to think what some foods do us when the blood can only handle 1 teaspoon.

Thanks, enjoyed the page you suggested. I was so amazed to learned Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution book, and his stories, being over 80 years old, still actively do online seminars and answer questions each month. I found
the book is more suitable for my case, especially, how to monitor and control blood sugar level, how to screen foods which cause less blood sugar fluctuations.

Appreciate your helps very much, I have learned a lot in the past several weeks from you and many other friends from this forum. I have been in many forums, in comparison, this forum is the best.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 22:45
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Rider - Even tho 100g of carbs per day is only "lowish carb," I think your plan to cut down from 200g carbs/day to 100g per day is a good one...especially as you mentioned that 1) you are a long-term diabetic and using glipizide which can easily cause hypoglycemia and 2) you don't need to lose weight.

On half as many carbs, you will need a lot less medication than you are currently taking. It would be really good if you could get a KNOWLEDGEABLE doctor to assist you with determining the proper dosage of your metformin and glipizide to go along with your reduced carbs. But, if your doctor won't assist you and you have to go it alone, then make all changes SLOWLY and monitor the results carefully.

You don't want to go into hypoglycemia. But, if you find that you have a tendency to go that way, the problem is not the lower-carb diet, the problem is too much medication!

Right now, you're driving a car (your body) down the highway with hurricane force winds (a high carbohydrate diet) attempting to push you off the highway in one direction (hyperglycemia). The hyperglycemia side of the road is strewn with rocks and ruts and thorn bushes that get worse and worse the further off the road you get. But, even the shoulder of the road (BG greater than 125) on that side is rough enough that every time you slip off the road on that side, your car takes a little bit of a beating. Maybe not enough to notice it but the tires are wearing out faster than they should, the paint is getting scratched up, etc.

But, instead of teaching you that YOU can actually control the winds by choosing a low carbohydrate diet, the standard medical treatment is to give you strong medications that basically keep the steering wheel of your car constantly turned INTO the wind.

But, of course, if you steer too hard into the wind, your car has a tendency to go off the road in the other direction (hypoglycemia). And, the hypoglycemia side of the road is a steep cliff drop-off that can kill you instantly!

So, knowing that your meds CAN force you off of the road and down that cliff, the doctors tell you "if you start to go off the cliff of hypoglycemia, eat some SUGAR so the carbohydrate winds will be even stronger and therefore can push you back in the other direction away from the cliff!!!

So most diabetics spend their lives constantly veering from one side of the road to the other. And to decrease the risk that their patients will drive off the cliff, many doctors (in fact MOST) tell them to deliberately try to drive along the hyperglycemic shoulder of the road (keep their A1C at around 6.5) even though the doctors know or should know that driving along that shoulder of the road is doing daily damage to their patients' bodies. After all, beat-up tires and a rusty paint job IS better than smashing off the hypoglycemia cliff.

But, wouldn't it be so much better to teach patients how to STOP the glucose winds from blowing? Then diabetics could drive straight down the smooth paved center of the highway like everybody else does! The risks of both hypoglycemia AND hyperglycemia would go away! But then, patients wouldn't need nearly as much medication and drug companies couldn't make nearly as much money off of their misery.

When you cut carbs, the winds WILL drop. You'll need to compensate for the reduced winds by reducing the amount of meds you take.

That's why, for diabetics on insulin or meds like glipizide, it is better/safer to SLOWLY reduce carb levels so they have time to figure out how much to reduce the meds to compensate for each change.

I think, what you're going to find is that it is a WHOLE lot easier to steer your car down the middle of the smooth highway when the winds you're dealing with drop from hurricane force down to merely a stiff breeze. I suspect you'll like the change so much that you will soon decide to drop your carbs even further.

Good luck. Go slow! And keep us posted! Oh, and to keep from losing weight, if you cut 100 g carbs from your daily diet, then ADD in about 10 to 20 g extra protein and 40 to 50 g extra FAT daily to keep your calorie intake about the same as it is now.

Thanks for your many suggestions on how to start my journey, really very helpful
  #68   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 22:47
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Rider, 100 gms is not low carb. It's lowER, but not low.

You won't reap the benefits without going LOW. That's why I suggest Dr Atkins. Avoid the Atkins website, as it's not his plan, it's the plan of the corporation that uses his name, and wants to sell their products.

Thanks, am still in my learning mode
  #69   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 03:06

You are most welcome and happy that you are learning from Dr Bernstein's book, website; His Diabetes University on YouTube will be a lasting testimony to his work. I believe he even still sees patients and they go through multi-day testing and education.
All of the doctors' plans linked previously are similar in that they use very low carb to manage diabetes, but coming from the view of T1, his is the most precise with a 6-12-12 carb meal pattern. Dr Westman is keep it under 20g/day and eat whenever you want, skipping meals is OK and encouraged.
Testing every food/meal is a great way to start..an eye-opening process. Here's a brand new "Eat to Your Meter" article by Kelley Pounds. https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-to-your-meter/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-04-16 at 03:19.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 06:06

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

As a type I diabetic in his early 80's who had a lot of earlier complications of diabetes before developing his diet, I think Dr. Bernstein himself counts as a lasting testimony to his work.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 04:34

Too true he has said something to the effect he's likely the only T1 diagnosed in the early 1940s still alive. Always in awe of an engineer going back to Med School to dedicate his life to helping other diabetics.