Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-06-07, 01:47
Happy Loser!

Plan: Atkins food, IF 20/4
Stats: 287/238/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Erythritol in Australia?

Am I right that the only place from which one can buy erythritol in Australia is http://www.health-smart.com.au/inde...n=category&id=9 at $55 a kg?

Has anyone found anywhere else that's started stocking it over the last year or so?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 03:37
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hmmm I had to do a net search for this one - never heard of it. In picture it looks like the same manufacturer (just by the packaging) as xylitol, which is avail in Aust. Have you tried this?

What do you like about erythritol as a sweetener? I'm a Stevia user myself so very curious

e
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 18:14

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 199.0/179/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:46.8
Progress: 25%

Hi,
I use xylitol, i got it from Go-Vita in Woy-Woy, it was $15.90 for 500g, it has no carbs and it so sweet! i have used it in quite a few things now with no problem. I tried Stevia which was too expensive, i am on a limited budget, and splenda had carbs so i thought that the xylitol was the way to go, i get my sweetness without the carbs!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 19:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I haven't ever seen erythritol anywhere either. I'm not sure why it is not available in the health food shops, but maybe it will appear one of these days.

I use a combination of xylitol and Splenda. The beauty of combining sweeteners is that you only need half as much in total, ie if the recipe calls for 1 cup of sweetners, you only need ¼ cup each of the two sweeteners. Works out much cheaper, and it definitely tastes better, too.

And BTW I only ever use Splenda tablets, as they have far fewer carbs - only 0.075 per tablet.

Roz
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 05:35
Happy Loser!

Plan: Atkins food, IF 20/4
Stats: 287/238/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

My apologies for not getting back to this thread sooner, I managed to miss Erika's reply, sorry Erika!

The difference between xylitol and erythritol is that erythritol doesn't cause gastric distress. I really can't eat xylitol at all for this reason, even in small quantities unfortunately. I guess I have an overly sensitive digestive system, which is no surprise given how much of a mess my digestive system was before I went low carb.

At the moment I use liquid splenda which I got via a friend from the US. It's great stuff, 0 carbs and the 2 oz bottle I have will last me for literally years and years.

However, as Rosebud says, having a second sweetener really helps with both sweetness and taste generally.

I've also tried Stevia but wasn't very impressed, although I imagine that different brands and batches would differ greatly since it's such a natural product.

So yes, still on the hunt for erythritol, but I certainly don't want it enough to pay $55 a kilo for it!

Thanks for the suggestions though ladies.

Emma
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 08:29
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Oh I use liquid stevia for the reasons stated

But I guess you need to try them all and figure out what works for you. I'll keep an eye out for erthritol if I see it too

Didn't know that about mixing sweeteners! Why would you only need half as much? I don't understand how they'd enhance the sweetness of each other ...

e