Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 11:39

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I haven't tried the bowl muffins yet. I have read all of the posts and became a bit overwhelmed by all the information and variations. So, I decided to go through and make a condensed version of the thread that includes the original recipe and all of the major variations that you have all tried.

I just wanted to let everyone know and give you a link (Bowl Muffins) in case you would like to see the recipe and variations in a condensed format.

Hope it helps someone else.

Phyllis
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 11:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Good job!

Its hard for me to come up with actual recipes since I kind of cook without measuring stuff and just grab whatever seems right and throw it in.
  #153   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 14:51

BF:

Thanks!
  #154   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 207/192/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Fiesta Bowl Muffin

I mixed some diced green chilie, dried onions, garlic pwdr., grated cheddar cheese, natural protein pwdr, taco seasoning, some water and nuked for 2 mins. Can add a bit of chopped tomatoe. Top with a little sour cream if desired. Sorta like a tamale (yes it is a bit of a stretch ) These things and the different combinations are addictive - I am going to make a coconut cream cheese pie -chopped spaghetti squash, protein pwdr, coconut flavoring, some cream cheese & some s.f. french vanilla syrup (no coconut syrup)- this should be a nice treat for desert for 2 if it comes out ok-I find so far, all the different combinations are edible

Nancy, congrats on losing the 13# - sounds like you have found success

Last edited by waterwoman : Fri, Aug-12-05 at 15:22. Reason: Addition to text
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 03:40

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMariB
and found Bob's Red Mill low carb bake mix.>>

I had never heard of this and they have it at netrition. I'll have to try it after I go through my atkins bake mixes and carbquik. lol

Kelly

Yeah it's good stuff. I always found the atkins mixes a little hard to choke down... they just seemed... I don't know... drier maybe? There was just something about the consistency of them I didn't like.

And then I couldn't find it anymore so the point was moot anyway

But the Bob's Red Mill has a nice flavor to it and whatever it was that bothered me about the Atkins mixes, this doesn't have. I think I've found my brand
  #156   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 05:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

WOW, PML!!! What a loooot of work you put into this (recipe and variations in 1 place). I'm going to print it out. Thank you SO much!!
  #157   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 07:01

BF:

Cajuda, you are welcome! Now, I wish I had made a note of the "poster" for each of these variations because it would be nice to know in case anyone wants to address a post directly to them. But if I had done that... I might still be working on it!!! Maybe I can work on that a little at a time in the future.

By the way, I made a couple of updates to the list. I wasn't sure how I was going to do this so that others could easily locate the new additions. I decided to make a note at the top with the date that additions were made and mark the additions with a big red *. We will see how this works out.

Phyllis
  #158   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 07:25

BF:
Question

MichelleBe,

I made your "bread" version. OMG was it wonderful! It had the most amazing flavor! (I used golden flax that I ground myself.) I made one "batch" and I made a half ham and cheese sandwhich and spread the rest with Laughing Cow cheese. I think it would have been wonderful with butter spread on it for a "dinner roll", too.

Can you give me some idea of how much water you added and the dimensions of your "personal casserole" dish and about how long you nuked it?

In your post you said "water till pancake consistancy". Mine never came close to looking like pancake batter because of the flax... gooey glob... and I think that I may have added too much water. After I got it mixed up, it looked like way too much "batter" so I divided it and nuked it in one of the sandwich size ziploc containers. The first one, I nuked for about 2.5 minutes. I made a half ham and cheese sandwich and the flavor was incredible! However, although the edges really had the texture of bread, the center was still moist and "wet". So I nuked the second one for 5 minutes. It did much better and the edges were absolutely "bread"- like but the center was still moist. So, I put it in the oven to dry it out.

Can you give me any guidance on perfecting the technique? Have you ever tried baking it in the oven?

Thank you so much for this variation! It was fabulous and if I can perfect the ingredients and technique... I can use this for all my bread needs. (I even used the old ucky Atkins bake mix that I have had in the freezer forever... there was not even a hint of it's disgusting taste in the end product!)

Thanks again! Everyone should try this... it is delicious!

Phyllis
  #159   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:10
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ok I have not read all the posts but I want to say thanks for this bowl muffin invention. I had purchased Carbquik but then never used it so I'm grateful to have finally found its purpose. I made the egg and bacon muffin this morning and while the bacon was a bit undercooked it was still tasty. Perhaps next time I will use ham.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to the sweet variety with some frozen blueberries. Thanks again for posting.
  #160   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:15

Plan: no sugar no flour, Atkins
Stats: 196.5/175/120 Female 5 feet 3 inch
BF:JUST HAD A BABY
Progress: 28%

how many calories and carbs do bowl muffins have?
  #161   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:21
empress of fashion

BF:

Depends on which recipe you are following.
  #162   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:22

I have carbsense 0 carb baking mix. What would the carbs be if i used this in place of the CQ
  #163   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:24
empress of fashion

BF:

Well there are 10 pages of recipes - some with fruit, some with eggs, some with bacon, etc. I guess I would just add up the carb totals of whatever ingredients you plan to use.
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 23:39

I mean, before you put the fillings in.
  #165   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 22:33