Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would I Make A Free Call for Future Access to Liquid Splenda?
Yes, Right Away! 413 79.27%
As Soon As I Can... 67 12.86%
Maybe Next Week... 27 5.18%
Absolutely Not! 14 2.69%
Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Liquid Splenda (absolutely no carbs)

It's TIME once again to make our voices heard, and to be persisent. There's a very good reason I'm saying this right now. I happened to be having a look at the http://www.LowCarbLuxury.com/featurearticles.html site (US-based) and RIGHT AT THE TOP is a 'rumour' as follows:

Quote:
Here's the scoop! Liquid Splenda will be here shortly –– right on your grocer's shelf! It will first be available at the Splenda website to order online, then will go to general distribution! (Currently liquid Splenda is available only through several online merchants who import it from Brazil, hence it is considerably more costly.)

They're a bit off, the online merchants have lost access to most of the liquid Splenda (rumour has it the manufacturer J&J is leaning on them and the distributors can't get it). The present state of affairs in CANADA is that large quantities only can be sold to commercial operations that use it in products. Ouch.

So, I called the Splenda Canada 'hotline' at 1-800-561-0070 and made a FORMAL request (write this down, take my name and number) for Liquid Splenda at the retail level in this country. Here's the kicker... the lady I spoke to said that in a year she's only had 2 (I'm #2) requests for Liquid Splenda, lots of requests for Brown Splenda, more packets, stuff like that. I gave her a brief thumbnail sketch of the North American growth (explosive) of folks with an interest in zero-carb no-filler Splenda (i.e., hypoglycemics, diabetics and the glucose intolerant, just for starters.

ANYWAY! To make a long story short, if you want access to Liquid Splenda in the forseeable future:
- please call the 800 number above and ask for it, FIRMLY.
- ask your grocery store manager to ask his Distributors for it.
Repeat often.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 12:11
Registered Member

Default Liquid Splenda (absolutely no carbs)

It's TIME once again to make our voices heard, and to be persisent. There's a very good reason I'm saying this right now. I happened to be having a look at the http://www.LowCarbLuxury.com/featurearticles.html site (US-based) and RIGHT AT THE TOP is a 'rumour' as follows:

Quote:
Here's the scoop! Liquid Splenda will be here shortly –– right on your grocer's shelf! It will first be available at the Splenda website to order online, then will go to general distribution! (Currently liquid Splenda is available only through several online merchants who import it from Brazil, hence it is considerably more costly.)

They're a bit off, the online merchants have lost access to most of the liquid Splenda (rumour has it the manufacturer J&J is leaning on them and the distributors can't get it). The present state of affairs in CANADA is that large quantities only can be sold to commercial operations that use it in products. Ouch.

So, I called the Splenda Canada 'hotline' at 1-800-561-0070 and made a FORMAL request (write this down, take my name and number) for Liquid Splenda at the retail level in this country. Here's the kicker... the lady I spoke to said that in a year she's only had 2 (I'm #2) requests for Liquid Splenda, lots of requests for Brown Splenda, more packets, stuff like that. I gave her a brief thumbnail sketch of the North American growth (explosive) of folks with an interest in zero-carb no-filler Splenda (i.e., hypoglycemics, diabetics and the glucose intolerant, just for starters.

ANYWAY! To make a long story short, if you want access to Liquid Splenda in the forseeable future:
- please call the 800 number above and ask for it, FIRMLY.
- ask your grocery store manager to ask his Distributors for it.
Repeat often.

Thank you!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 12:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb I thnk that I might have been that other caller

I too have phoned McNeil (the Cdn distributor of Splenda) to inquire about filler-free Splenda, and received the same spiel as you. What I was told by them at the time is that in fact, pure sucralose is indeed manufactured here in Canada -- McNeil's head office is in Guelph Ontario -- but it is sent to the US to be further processed into the powder and packets, which are then shipped back to Canada ... and we pay for the extra shipping and duty..

I'm doing some interesting (and nauseating) research on the maltodextrin filler ... it's used to bulk up all of the intense sweeteners, not just Splenda .. Equal/Nutrasweet, SugarTwin, Sucaryl, Sweet'n'Low ... the list goes on and on. Scary stuff.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 12:42

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ok, I'm home today and I'll be on the phone shortly.

Thx Judy for the info.
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 15:59
Registered Member

Default way to go, Dot

{can I call you Dot?}

I think Bonnie said she called as well... but perhaps got a different person? Who knows. I believe the key will be repeat calls, and somewhat insistent ones...

On the other subject, I've had my subliminal feeling (not put into words thus far) that maltoD, like many of the manufactured sugars, acts much like fructose and therefore has an impact in the liver that Mother Nature never intended. Remember those commercials about "it's not NICE to fool with Mother Nature"?!? I can just see the finger wagging now...

Keep us posted on the research, dear heart?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 11:14
Registered Member

Question curiosity

So I'm wondering how many of you actually got a chance to make this free phone call?

For that matter, how many of you saw this post before it drifted off down the page under the press of other conversations.... hmmmmmm.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 11:27

BF:

I did! I did! The guy who answered didn't seem all that "aware" of things, but I made him take down my name and info with the understanding that I wanted Liquid Splenda available to the public.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 12:08
Registered Member

Talking Hey Nat!

Nice to hear from you!

You can probably look forward to some free coupons, including one for a full box of the Splenda, from their Marketing department... complete with form letter.

I'm of a mind to (when I get a minute) write back and get a bit snippy about wanting a real response about the possibilities of the liquid, I certainly wasn't scouting for coupons(!) fer gawd's sake....

Ah well.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 12:10
Registered Member

Default PS!

Dearest Natrushka,
as I am not an Administrator/Moderator for this particular forum, can I ask if you will make this Thread/Poll "sticky" so it floats at the top and more people get to see it??

If you could do this, I'd really appreciate it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 12:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Will call

Judi,

Thanks for the tip! I'll call tomorrow when I have time. Life is crazy today, 3 appts in a row. Gotta go,

Ruth
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 12:42

BF:
Default Re: PS!

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
Dearest Natrushka,
as I am not an Administrator/Moderator for this particular forum, can I ask if you will make this Thread/Poll "sticky" so it floats at the top and more people get to see it??

Done!

I will be watching for my coupons. Wonder if it will include any for liquid Splenda?

N
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 06:55

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hiya

I actually ticked "Right Away", even though I will not be able to make the call. It is a bit expensive from the UK...But I would like to see Splenda on our shelves full stop. Liquid or any other form ! I believe they will be selling it in early 2002, but I am not sure, if we will get the liquid version.

Greetings
Sabine
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 20:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/221/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Splenda liquid?

Is it just in Canada?

I looked for it at the grocery store today and they didn't have it. I live in California.

Is the 800 number just for Canada?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 00:06
Registered Member

Default more about Liquid Splenda

Debster, the 800 number is the Canadian number, BUT I might have the US number around here somewhere... though you probably don't need it as you can click directly on http://www.splenda.com and you'll be at the US website (mucho info there) . Also, both the packets and the 'bulk' Splenda ARE available in most US stores, it depends strictly on the stores so ask 'em if they don't have it on the shelf. The liquid Splenda isn't available anywhere except South America right now, and that's far far away from everyone...

Just a sec, I'm going to go rummage... dang, no I cleared that email with the US 800 telephone number but I bet you can get good contact information at the Splenda website above.

MadPiano, I appreciate your support, however remotely applied ... by the way, I could look into shipping, for example, 2 boxes of the 'bulk' to you in England, I'd have the measurements, weight and Splenda-cost of the package, and could estimate what it would cost you in Canadian dollars (or the equivalent in English pounds). PM me if you are interested, with your mailing address? It might be worth it as the Splenda is quite inexpensive in this country... and postage by slow-boat might not be TOO prohibitive.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 00:49
Registered Member

Default Liquid Splenda, the US toll-free number....

Addendum

The US number to call about Liquid Splenda, and your opinion on whether it should be available in carb-free no-filler liquid form, is 1-800-561-0070

Go!