Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 23:32

Plan: RAW
Stats: 173/150/20 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default The Rest Of The Story!!!

HELLO!

As I was doing research to what sites and boards have this story I stumbled upon this forum. All of you have excellent questions and I too was very skeptical when I first read their story. However, I got to know the Andressohns after several weeks of phone calls and even formed a coalition and created a website for them. Bottom line is...there are always three sides to every story. The Media, the Andressohns and the truth. I have compiled 12 pages of hard facts in regard to this story and would incite you to come and explore a condensed version for yourself!

Blessings,

Steven Gibb
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 00:46
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

If your so into a 'natural diet', then you should NOT be backing them up. They denied that child the most natural of all foods for a baby, breast feeding, not because the mother was unable to nurse or had medical problems, but because it was uncomfortable and an inconvenience! They murdered that baby as sure as if they had drowned it and deserve to rot in jail.
They also denied their other children natural, healthy foods like meat and fish.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 08:01
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

What a waste of a web-hit. If they were SO concerned about their child, I maintain they should have sought medical help long before her condition deteriorated to that extent.

If a mother is unable to breastfeed, the child absolutely NEEDS an adequate replacement. That child starved to death because of it's parents.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 10:49

Plan: RAW
Stats: 173/150/20 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default Breast feeding!

Hello!

You're absolutely correct. Breast feeding is the only way to go and Lamoy (mother) would have breastfed for a very long time. However, her breasts stated bleeding around the 3 month mark so she was forced to stop. She didn't starve the baby by any means. In fact, the food she turned into liquid was tested and had plenty of nutrients and this is exactly the way she raised her last two children and they we all given a clean bill of health by the STATE medical examiner. Bottom line is, most of the so call facts from all the articles you people have read and posted here..are outright LIES! I have seen and read the actual paperwork from the hospital. I don't know how much more factual you can get. You all know the media thrives on twisted and jaded fasts to get people stirred up to read or watch their poison. This is a rights case and not so much about the food. Now here’s what I call the proof is in the pudding. Lamoy raised the last two children the same way she did the baby who passed on. Her breasts bled at the same time and she fed them the same exact diet and the STATES doctor gave them a clean bill of health. In fact, it wasn’t until the state killed some animals and started force feeding the children meat, dairy, pasta and other processed food that they became violently ill. Add to this the fact that the pathologist (doctor who did autopsy) wrote a report to the former prosecutor (who by the way was taken off the case and demoted..hmmmmm) and told her that the baby did NOT die from mal nutrition rather a birth defect called DiGeorge Syndrome. In fact, he underlined missing thymus twice in his report. The prosecutor decided she was smarter than the doctor and prosecuted these beautiful people anyway. Believe me when I tell you I don't easily place or attaché my name to controversial events such as this one unless I have full belief in the defendants. It took me four moths on the phone everyday with these people asking a lot of questions and reading a lot of paperwork to come to this conclusion. I'm not asking you to take me at face value but I am asking that you consider the un-truths and lies the media will put out there. And, these people are in the hot see for everyone of you reading this post. This case will set precedents for you and the children of the future. The Andressohns know this and are willing to stay on the hot seat for your rights but we must support them! As far as taking the child to the doctor or hospital...the child never showed any signs of being sick or they would have. When she was out of control they did call 911 and asked for help. And, there other four children have NEVER been sick one day in their life.

Recap..the baby did NOT Starve to death and did NOT weigh 7 lbs as you will see stated in some articles. In fact, there were 5 different weights recoded from the hospital. The baby weighted 7 lbs when she was born. Do you think there is a mother in the land who would feed her baby for 5 months gaining no weight and not be concerned...comon people..WISE UP and get a clue!!!
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 11:33

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

Okay Rawfasting, I'll lend support to your efforts. I do accept that those parents probably acted in good faith and like most of us in our beliefs we are often misinformed and are too frequently unaware of it.

The police, by the nature of their work, will seek to establish a case for homicide. If the other children appear to be reasonably happy and healthy, and until the case against the parents is established, there should be no question of not allowing them out on bail to continue caring and living as a family.

Removing children from their parents has disastrous consequences from which the family may never recover so who then is the criminal? Surely the law officers would be aware of whether the parents were distressed at the loss of their child or whether they were emotionally remote. It is not difficult to make this judgement. To then further harm this family is a travesty of injustice. Where is our common law right of being innocent until proved guilty?

For 'authority' to insist that those children eat a normal meal; what indeed is normal? By virtue of the fact that we on this site totally believe in the benefits of LC then we too are guilty in much the same manner as those parents who put their faith in veganism and authority's belief in 'normal' diets.

It is reckoned that more deaths are caused through medical ignorance and malpractice than that which occurs on our highways but do we hear of doctors being treated in a similar manner? Why does the law differentiate? Another interesting statistical fact is that over 80% of the prison population has an IQ under the average; I wonder why? The statistical 'bell curve' would indicate that it should not happen, then why does it? What's that biblical saying about he who is without guilt may throw the first stone?

What a cockeyed society in which we live.

Irrespective of our beliefs or cherished views, this family should be treated with dignity which seems to be lacking.

Last edited by Duparc : Fri, Feb-11-05 at 11:38.
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 11:41
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfasting
Do you think there is a mother in the land who would feed her baby for 5 months gaining no weight and not be concerned...comon people..WISE UP and get a clue!!!
If she was vegan ? YES. Since she 's probably damaged in her brain from lack of cholesterol/fat intake and B12 deficiency. She, and YOU, are mentally disturbed. Like I said before, they deserve to rot in jail for murder.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 11:43
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duparc

Irrespective of our beliefs or cherished views, this family should be treated with dignity which seems to be lacking.

They starved that baby and they deserve NO respect. I'm glad they had their children taken away. All vegans should lose their kids, as they're mentally unstable.
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 12:02
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Bleeding breasts? Missing thymus? These things don't happen for no reason. Could it be diet related?

Wyv
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 12:05
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
Bleeding breasts? Missing thymus? These things don't happen for no reason. Could it be diet related?

Wyv

Hmm, ya think?
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 12:18
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinadal
All vegans should lose their kids, as they're mentally unstable.

That's an unfair statement. People have the right to eat what they want, and raise their kids as they see fit....UNLESS the child is suffering because of it, as in this case.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 12:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

Quote:
... All vegans should lose their kids, as they're mentally unstable.

Any person is welcome to post objective comments as to why they agree or disagree with veganism or any other lifestyle choice. However, hateful remarks that target an individual or group are inappropriate, and will not be tolerated. Persisting in this line of discussion will result in suspension of posting privileges, per the forum rules.

Thankyou for your cooperation in this matter.

Admin.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 12:29

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
They starved that baby and they deserve NO respect. I'm glad they had their children taken away. All vegans should lose their kids, as they're mentally unstable.

Hmm that's a rather broad statement. I don't support the vegan way of life, I think it's not natural or healthy, but I wouldn't go so far as calling them all mentally unstable. How would you like it if some PCRM devote said that your children should be taken away because you feed them meat?

Anyway, those statements you made were disturbing and make low-carbers sound like loonies.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 12:39

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Oh and to get back to the subject of the thread, none of us here would be surprised in any way that the media totally distorted the story and prosecutors acted inappropriately. We are all acutely aware of what the media does, being on the receiving end of it most of the time. So I'm for giving them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully the truth will emerge from the trial.

I still think however that feeding kids a vegan diet is wrong. Their kids will not thank them for it later. Even most of the people here who are firm believers in low-carb will not put their kids on an extremely low-carb diet, to be on the safe side.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 18:38
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfasting
You're absolutely correct. Breast feeding is the only way to go and Lamoy (mother) would have breastfed for a very long time. However, her breasts stated bleeding around the 3 month mark so she was forced to stop.

Cracked/bleeding nipples may force a mother to stop physical breastfeeding .. but her milk can be expressed manually, or with a pump, and fed to her infant from a bottle. If there was concern about the baby being harmed because of some blood getting in the milk, the medical and scientific literature shows that traces of blood in the mother's milk is not harmful to the baby in any way. In fact, it's relatively common for blood cells to appear in the milk during the first days after delivery as the capillaries and blood vessels in the breasts swell due to increased blood flow. Regardless .. cracked nipples heal, and nursing can safely be resumed as long as the mother has taken steps to ensure continued milk supply.

According to the rawfriends website, Woyah's DiGeorge Syndrome was "diagnosed at birth". Who diagnosed this condition? The birth was unattended by trained health care providers, only the husband .. and the missing thymus gland was only discovered at autopsy. DiGeorge Syndrom is very rare, and almost always there are other defects in addition to the missing/underdeveloped thymus gland, such as malformation of the blood vessels to the heart, missing or underdeveloped parathyroid gland, and also cleft palate. Of course, a cleft lip and/or palate would have been visibly obvious at birth. A cleft lip/palate can make breastfeeding very difficult as the infant isn't able to suck properly .. and this can increase the risk of cracked nipples due to irritation. In addition, if the baby can't suck properly she may not be able to take in adequate nourishment from breast or bottle. However, we don't know if Woyah suffered this defect.

A news article published at the time of Woyah's death stated that an inspection of the Andressohn's home revealed an extensive collection of books and literature about raw food nutrition. Testimony from friends and neighbours suggested that Lamoy read everything she could get her hands on about the subject, and she consulted raw food "experts". Of course, this could be just another one of those twisted and jaded media reports that rawfasting mentioned. OTOH, if the baby was diagnosed with a severe defect at birth, shouldn't those "experts" have counselled the Andressohn's to seek qualified medical attention? There are doctors, midwives and naturopaths who are also vegans.

Rawfasting, you are right, there are three if not dozens of sides to this story. The facts will come out in the courtroom, beginning May 31, 2005.

Doreen
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 18:40
Forum Founder

BF:

Judge denies Homestead couple a pretrial visit with children

By Ihosvani Rodriguez, Miami Bureau

Posted February 9 2005

A Miami-Dade County judge on Tuesday refused to allow a Homestead couple charged with starving their 5-month-old daughter to death to visit their other children.

Joseph and Lamoy Andressohn held hands during the brief hearing before Circuit Court Judge Sarah Zabel on the couple's request for supervised visits with their four children, ages 3 to 8.

A previous judge barred such visits shortly after the Andressohns were arrested and prosecutors charged them with aggravated manslaughter.

The Andressohns said through their attorney Ellis Rubin that they wanted to visit the children before their trial scheduled for May. Lamoy Andressohn, who is pregnant, expects to deliver a girl before the trial and wanted the entire family to be together, her attorney told reporters.

Their infant Woyah weighed 7 pounds when she died May 15, 2003, about 6 pounds less than she should have, an autopsy concluded. The Andressonhns have not seen their children since 2003. The state Department of Children & Families removed Woyah's siblings from the home after determining they were also malnourished.

The Andressohns claim that a birth defect, not starvation, killed their little girl.

Theodore Kaufman, a Pembroke Pines attorney appointed to represent the children in family court, told Zabel that the children want to see their parents.

"Even the two younger ones clearly remember their mom and dad, and they miss them and want to see them," said Kaufman, who visited the children recently.

Lead prosecutor Herbert E. Walker III objected to the visits, partly because the older children likely will testify during the trial. Walker said he fears the parents would manipulate the children into falsely testifying.

Walker also said that it would be cruel and traumatic for the children to see their parents before the trial only to lose contact with them if the Andressohns are convicted.

"What we are asking you is to make a compassionate ruling, and let a jury determine what happens," Walker told the judge.

Zabel said she considered allowing the younger children to see the parents but ultimately agreed with Walker. She noted that the Andressohns have not seen their children for more than 20 months and said the couple could endure waiting a couple more.

After the ruling, Lamoy Andressohn hid from television cameras by sitting alone in a hallway bench at the other end of the courthouse hallway. She openly wept.

Ihosvani Rodriguez can be reached at ijrodriguez~sun-sentinel.com or 305-810-5005.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...sfla-news-miami