Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-11, 18:02
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%
Default Chicken and Leek Stew

http://lowcarbmadeeasy.com/2011/02/...-and-leek-stew/

Ingredients:

2 leeks, white and tender green parts only
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into small pieces
1.5 cups chicken stock or broth
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/8-1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
Preparation:

First things first, thinly slice your leeks. Put them into a bowl of water as there is often sand nestled in between the leaves. Strain and rinse one more time, and set aside.

Next, cut your chicken. I did mine slightly smaller than bite size pieces so it would cook up quickly.

Grab a skillet, and get it warmed up over medium heat. Add some olive oil, and then add your leeks in. If you look in my photo, I also added 2 chopped baby red potatoes. I’m not including them in my counts because they were just something I wanted, but 2 small (like 1″ diameter) potatoes aren’t going to kill me – especially over the entire recipe. Anyway…add your leeks, and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Once the leeks are done, remove them from the skillet and set aside.

Next, add in your chicken. Cook it over medium heat until it’s completely cooked through. Don’t overcook as you’ll make it tough. Season with salt and pepper while you are cooking. When the chicken is done, remove it from the skillet and set aside with the leeks.

Add your 1.5 cups of chicken stock to the skillet, and bump up the heat to medium high. Let this bubble away and reduce by about half. While this is going on, mix your sour cream and dijon mustard together in a small bowl so it’s ready to add in.

When the stock is reduced, lower the head to medium low, and add back in your chicken and leeks (and potatoes, if you went that route!). Stir to combine, and add just a bit of xanthan gum to help thicken up the soup. Last, add in the sour cream/mustard mixture. This will help thicken it up as well. Stir until just combined, then serve!

Nutritional Information (4 servings):

Carbs: 6.3g
Protein: 27.6g
Fat: 9.6g
Calories: 229
Sponsored Links