Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 14:17

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Mayonnaise, Itallian Dressing, Ranch Dressing, Yonnaise

I was asked to post these on another thread/forum, so I thought I'd put them here too.

Italian Salad Dressing (based on Good Seasons version without all that sugar)

1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dry pectin
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
Water to make 1 cup with the vinegar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients except the oil in a bottle with a little more than a 2 cup capacity (about 2 1/4 cups at least) and shake well for 30 seconds or so. Add the oil and shake well. It's best if it stands for an hour or so.

I don't refrigerate this dressing and it will last for at least a couple months if you don't use it up first.

This is the "lite" version. When I'm not counting calories, I add water to make 1/2 cup and up the oil to 1 1/2 cups.

Note: When you add the oil, make sure you leave shaking room. If there is not enough room, the dressing won't stay mixed long enough to pour the first time after you shake it. It's best to use a jar that's too large than just large enough.

The pectin helps give it a silky restaurant texture and it will stay mixed a little longer. It does add some carbs, but not enough to worry about. It has less than 1 gram of carbs per tablespoon.

Mayonnaise

2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons lemon juice (preferrably fresh)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons yellow or dijon mustard
lite olive oil

Put all ingredients except the oil in your blender and blend for a few seconds until frothy. With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the oil until it's mayonnaise. You'll need between 3/4 and 1 cup of oil.

I use a hand blender. I like it because I can move it up and down through the mayonnaise as it is thickening.

I'm still playing around with the seasonings, but this is pretty close to tasting like Best Foods/Hellmans mayonnaise to me. The lite olive oil is important since I don't like polyunsaturated oils and extra-virgin olive oil is too heavy for a general mayonnaise.

I usually keep it a couple or three weeks in the refrigerator unless I finish it before then -- the acidity of the lemon juice is what keeps it from spoiling.

Ranch-Style Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup "total" Greek yogurt
1/2 cup half & half
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon salt

Whisk all ingredients together. You may want to add more half & half if it's too thick. Also, this will thicken up as the spices absorb some of the liquid.

I use "total" Greek yogurt I get at Trader Joe's. It's very high in fat (about twice as many grams as whole milk plain yogurt), almost like it's made with part half & half and part whole milk. I like it a lot and use it in place of sourcream. It has a more robust flavor. It's also a lot lower in calories than sourcream, which comes in handy when I'm counting calories.

Yonnaise

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup total Greek yogurt

Mix together well.

I use this as a dipping sauce for a lot of vegetables, especially artichokes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 12:31

Plan: Atkins,prev Radical diet
Stats: 161/154/136 Female 1.74m
BF:
Progress:

Is greek yogurt allowed during the induction phase? It seems so high in carbs...