Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-16, 22:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 372/372/220 Male 70
BF:
Progress:
Default Low carb shakes

I'm looking for some good low carb shakes that I can make with almond Milk? I have several boxes of health one shake mix vanilla and chocolate but I would also like to add fruit and veggies if possible.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-16, 06:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Bubba,
According to MFP, a Health One mix has 24g of carbs, and 20g of that are SUGAR. That to me is not a low carb shake and adding fruit only makes it worse. One concern would be a fast-acting hit of sugar like that will continue to stoke your carb and sugar cravings. LC works because the cravings and hunger are reduced. If you are following Atkins induction, http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482 it blows right through your daily carb limit with one drink.
I make a shake with a few berries, greens and almond milk, but the protein mix used has Zero Carbs.

Consider introducing yourself here http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37. Tell us more about your goals and other members can suggest alternatives.
All the best,
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 12:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 372/372/220 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, I don't eat greens, but would like to get the health benefits from them which shake could I make that would hide their flavor and would have a berry, vanilla, or chocolate taste?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-16, 05:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

First suggestion would be to eat real food an egg and bacon breakfast (which can be made in advance for the entire week, just grab 'n go out of the fridge) is a great start to day.
If you need to have a shake for some reason, you should try various brands and flavors to find ones that appeal to you, and are easily available. Every LC brand has chocolate and vanilla. Quest protein powder (and bars) is now sold at Walmart, in reasonably priced 2 pound canisters. Easy for me to buy, I like the chocolate milkshake, (vanilla seems too sweet to me..but you may like it). To that I add frozen berries, big handful of "power" greens, almond or coconut milk (full fat canned makes a super high fat drink), sometimes nuts or flaxseed for healthy fats too. Quest has just introduced a Ketogenic Shake but not at my Walmart.
Designer Whey is at Trader Joe's, and IsoPure Zero Carb at many health stores like Vitamin Shoppe. ISopure brand has the advantage of many flavors like Strawberry and Banana Creme but they come in large expensive canisters. Only a few flavors on-line are sold in smaller paks to try (I did not like berry but love the banana..matter of taste only) Sure there are more brands, I don't use them often and don't seek out the zillion new LC options you might find at bodybuilder stores. These all still have some type of artificial sweeteners, they have to, whey protein tastes horrid by itself. AS or the dairy proteins can send insulin up for some and derail your LC diet.
#1 tip is still...JERF. Just Eat Real Food. Healthier, more satisfying and nutritious, even easier to prepare with some planning. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Dec-25-16 at 07:30.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-16, 07:57

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I like Jay Robb egg white protein mixes. Expensive, but I don't make smoothies that often, and when I do it's usually chocolate with added cocoa. You can disguise some greens in this formula, or at least raw baby spinach works.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-16, 09:04

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I prefer the Jay Robb "whey" protein powder. You can buy it at Kroger, and my favorite flavors are vanilla or chocolate. You can also buy it from his web site. It has a really good taste, is low carb, and made with good ingredients.

I mix my shake with one cup of water (or almond milk if you prefer), a splash of heavy cream, one scoop of protein powder, a handful of blueberries or a couple of strawberries and crushed ice up to the max fill line on my bullet.....then I blend it in my Nutribullet pro. I also throw in a tablespoon of flax seeds and chia seeds.

I really like it in the morning....drink on my way to work with my coffee.

here's the link to read about it........https://www.jayrobb.com/protein/whe...ein-vanilla.asp

I tried adding a few spinach leaves, but prefer it without.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-16, 09:41

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Picking up on Janet's comment of JERF, I often add chopped spinach to my scrambled eggs.

Stir fry chopped spinach in residual bacon fat for 2 or 3 minutes, add eggs, cook till done, add a bit of cheese if you can tolerate. It's quick, nutritious, and lasts for many many hours.