Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 05:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/131/126 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Channel 4 Fat or Fiction programme

Yup, I thought it was pretty balanced, too, considering what we're used to. My take on it is that, as more studies come out, those who would previously have branded Atkins as dangerous are now being forced to rethink - and they're quietly repositioning themselves! So the word is gradually getting out.

These programmes do like their 'human story', don't they? It's about time though that they showed someone who is knowledgeable about where to go for info & support (like this website for starters!) and knows what to do to avoid problems like 'feeling sick with all that fat'. I'm hoping that the Horizon programme which the production team have told me is due to go out early in the New Year will be following some dieters who know what they're doing a little better (or at least know where to go to find out).

Hopefully future programmes will help publicise the good work 'low carber' sites do. In fact, I suggested to Channel 4 yesterday that their list of useful websites at the bottom of their Fat or Fiction programme page had a glaring omission - there were plenty of governmental/food industry/independent health organisations' websites, but none of the 'low carbers'' sites, which as I pointed out, usually have more accurate and up to date information than the 'official' sites. I think they took the point.

Jackie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 06:05

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I sat in front of the TV with a glass of wine ready to start grizzling and moaning (as I have with all the other programs like this that have been on before) and was pleasantly surprised, bit too much focusing on celebrities and the word 'fad' but overall pretty balanced but the girl in the video diary was annoying!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 06:06

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Jackie well done on taking that initiative with channel 4.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 12:47
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
I've just watched the programme in full (as I only saw half of it before I had to leave for work last night). On the whole it was fairly balanced. I have to say though that the girl they followed on her 3 week quest really irritated me. Right from the start you got the impression that she didn't really want to give it her all. She seemed to focus far too much on what she couldn't eat than what she could. It would have been good if as well as following her progress they could have also followed someone who was past the induction phase and giving an indication of how eating Atkins fits in to everyday life.

One thing I did find myself hoping for was low carb stores on the High Street like they have in the US.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 13:14
Registered Member

Stats: 786/786/786 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

I'm probably the only one who thought the program actually did'nt represent Atkins very well It seem s to potray that Atkins is a HIGH FAT diet rather than a low carb high protein and high fat diet... The prof. from Kings College suggested there is no proof it works..for Gods sake ... does he think millions of people are hallucinating that they lost all these weights...?

And that girl... gosh... I was sooo angry at her... They just happend to find such a subject... grrrr
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 04:34
Registered Member

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 124/122/120 Female 65inches
BF:25/19/15
Progress: 50%

HI all,

I thought that the programme was much better than anything I've seen in the past. They at least mentioned the study that found no link between cholesterol increase and the diet.

But Why on earth did they pick that girl to follow? She was such a moaning pain in the a***! I don't care WHAT she was told to do, she didn't want a solution. She was even depressed about losing 4 kilos! I was shouting at the tv too!

But on the whole it was better than the usual.

Best
Alison
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 04:38

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:
Progress: 0%

i watched the channel 4 programme and i was aapauled at that policewoman...trainee.....she was bothered about eating well all she seemed to do was exercise. she never seemed to drink water multivits or proper food. the programme wasnt reality just another farse but better then normal

the daily mirror is now printing every day since monday about the atkins diet , umm they also have changed their mind as they were slagging it off big time

ufffff
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 05:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Plan
Stats: 247/200/140 Female 5"4
BF:Decreasing Slowing
Progress: 44%

I thought the programme was one of the best I've seen so far, but still along way short of being pro Low carb.

The information was ok I guess, nothing new there and not wonderful if u have little knowledge of how low carbing works. Again a few untruths by the establishment and not enough Air time to the LC followers.

The silly cow did my head in, she had the book but didn't seem to understand the principles of LC, perhaps she only flicked thru it? it did look in pristine condition to have been thumbs religously.
No diet will work if u don't stick to it religously and follow it word for word, she didn't seem to understand the importance of cutting down on carbs, and wondered y she still felt outta sorts after eating high carb fruits and big bowls of cereal with milk!

There are always gonna be ppl that don't follow diets properly and are lookin for the instant results and quick fixes, unfortunatly this was one such person. I must admit I did wonder why if she was serious about losing weight and getting fit for her police test then why did she only try to lose weight 3 weeks before, surly if ur that serious she'd have startedthis WOE months before this test? I think again she is one of the many ppl that believe Atkins and LCing is a quick fix diet that u can abandon when the weight is lost. Its a sad reflection on how the media have hyped this diet with one hand, while knocked it down with the other.

When I began this WOE I knew after reading the book cover to cover, that if I cheated I would feel ill and more than likely the diet wouldn't work, this girl seemed to think this didn't applied to herself. Annoying as it was, I feel we should just pity her that she feels she needs these foods in her life to feel healthy and when she cut them out, she thought she was being unhealthy. It was annoying no vitimins and lots of water was mentioned, I don't think that she was even seen to drink one glass of water the whole time. Another pet hate is how she commented on eating bacon all the time.... grrrr if she's eating bacon all the time that shows little intellence on her part to eat other meats and fish... tsk!

I feel this girl would (and according to her) has failed other diets because she seems to lack the basic undertanding of how they work.. I honestly believe no diet will work for her because she seems to not want to put the effort in.

We all know the benifits of LC and thats all that matters
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 15:18

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

I see that the programme - Atkins, Fat or Fiction - is being repeated on Channel 4 on Friday 11th February at 23:10 for 65 minutes. If you are new to Atkins and did not see it in 2003 then it is worth viewing. See earlier posts here for comments on the programme.