Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 16:18

Plan: Dr Atkins changed to CAD
Stats: 80/8/60
BF:
Progress:
Default CAD vs CALP???

I have the the CAD book and started CAD 4 days ago. I have not managed to find a copy of CALP - I was told that it is in reprint (Australia).

I am rather confused about the reward meal. In CAD balance is mentioned - but nothing about 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. as in CALP.

Was CALP written after CAD and therefore its research is more advanced and the woe then takes the place of CAD woe - or is the reward meal as mentioned in CAD still ok.

I am loving this woe. Yesterday I almost went on a binge - but turned it into my RM instead and came out an hour later with none of that old guilt and also with much less junk in my stomach than if it was a real binge - I actually ate quite healthy stuff.

Shira
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 09:32

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Shira,

Welcome to the group!

CALP is subtitled 'A personalized plan for becoming slim, fit and healthy in your 40s, 50s, 60s and beyond' so I don't know as it really replaces CAD or complements it. I have both and they are so similar that keeping the details separate can be difficult.

The approach that I take is to follow the CALP RM guideline of a salad followed by 1/3 portions as much as practical - if I am cooking a regular meal at home, this is exactly what I shoot for. This is how it works most days. However, if I go out to a restaurant or to someone's house and ballpark balancing is not practical, I enjoy the meal guilt-free and be sure to start & stop totally within 60 minutes. At restaurants I do aim for balance in my choices from the menu - ie I would tend to order chicken & veggies over spagetti w/ marinara, but not stress about the exact portions.

Keep us posted on how all this works out for you!

Lila
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 17:23

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

CALP was written after CAD. I believe the first CAD was written in 1991. In my copy there is no mention of a balanced reward meal, only the warning to keep within the hour. I also have an updated version of CAD that does talk about balance in the RM. It also offer 5 different weight loss plans

entry-CM, CM, RM

Plan A-CM, CM, RM, CS (snack)

Plan B-CM, CM, RM

Plan C-CM, CM, RM plus salad

Plan D-CM, RM with salad

I usually follow plan c mostly because I like salad.
There are specific criteria that tell you which one is right for you-let me know if you want that info!