Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-11, 07:42

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%
Default *Groan*...why do I do this to myself?

So Monday Oct. 10 was Canadian Thanksgiving. I was hosting. The turkey was fine, the veggies were fine...the bread and the pie were NOT fine...two days later and I'm STILL in pain! I am very bloated, very uncomfortable.

WHY, oh WHY do I continue to do things I know are bad for me? Not just "hey, watch yourself, you're slowly gaining weight" but a full on binge pig out that has immediate and painful consequences? I mean, really.

Anyone else with a carb hangover? Wanna commiserate with me, or just whine? I'm having a full-on pity party! (Just writing that actually makes me feel a little bit better...I know I'll be OK...and any other sufferers will be too...back on the wagon with us!)

American neighbors, take heed! Beware the hazards of Thanksgiving! Pie lurks around every corner, just waiting to pounce! Thousands of Canadians are already suffering...don't do what we did!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-11, 10:07

Plan: Was Paleo...now Zero Carb
Stats: 270/213/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 57%

During a recent visit to my gluten-free house, my mother told me, "Wheat is evil - I understand that now."....and it only took a year of severe migraines, bloating, and general "blah"-ness to get her to realize this important fact.

The biggest thing for my mom is that she's in her 70's and raised to accept anything given to her when she's in someone else's house. I keep telling her, "Mom, you can say, 'No thank you. I'm allergic.' People will understand." She's finally catching on....

(She also can't seem to turn down sweets....but that's another story. ;-) )

I hope you feel better. As they say, "This too shall pass...." I just hope it happens quickly for you!

Anne
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-11, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo-ish
Stats: 156.0/150.6/140.0 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 34%

The non-dark chocolate has been calling to me this week - I blame the hormones! I did a bad thing this evening and had some chips from the fish and chip shop. I feel dazed now, but they were delicious at the time. I'll dust myself off and do better tomorrow.

It's always geing to be challenging around celebration times, like Thanksgiving or Christmas - there's just so much ritual and comfort bound up in the food it's extremely hard to stay on course. Don't beat yourself up, you'll do better next time or maybe you'll decide that a few occasions warrant falling off the wagon. It's the same with me on holiday and at Christmas - despite all my best intentions, the treats call to me. The upside to this is that by Boxing Day evening (or the end of the holiday week), I feel thoroughly sick and more than ready to get back to a normal primal-type diet!

When i'm in a generous mood, I think staying primal/low carb 80% of the time is good enough - it's good to enjoy life (and food) and falling off the wagon temporarily isn't the end of the world. You'll get back on when you're ready. When I'm not in a generous mood, I just feel bad about it and have the chocolate anyway
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-11, 17:12

Plan: Paleo/Neanderthin
Stats: 189/168.8/130 Female 5'5"
BF:

I am so glad I read your post Sue333
I have been wavering about whether I will eat sweets on Thanksgiving and Christmas
Pies are my favorites but after reading your post I think I will skip them or try to make my own substitution so I don't indulge
For me sugar is a total addiction and I have never gone as long as I have giving it up just recently (1 month) but honestly I don't want to go back to that way of life and am seeing results that I want to keep seeing
For me it is all or nothing and my mantra of late has been that I have had a lifetime of eating all these foods and while some people can get away with it, I cannot Its time for me to grow up and go without. I don't feel like I can't watch others enjoy these treats and for me it just isn't something I crave anymore
What I crave now is weightloss and physical fitness.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-11, 20:34
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

LOL Sue. I can totally relate. I went to New Orleans for Thanksgiving and I had a blast and ate everything and I came back and restarted and had a hell of a headache and bloated and just feeling off. Today was the first day I did not have a headache. The good thing is I kept my promise to myself of getting right back on track. Yay me! I was afraid that I would not be able to do it!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 21:12

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 177/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Canadian Thanksgiving has passed, thankfully, but it seems to me that it is the first of the holidays focused around food. In the wind up to halloween, several co-workers have been giving ou candy, or bringing baked goods into work. I caved and hd a couple candies today, and now I have a mild headache.

Anyone have tips for declining and avoiding sweets?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-11, 00:44

Plan: Paleo/Neanderthin
Stats: 189/168.8/130 Female 5'5"
BF:

You know as far as candy goes If someone is handing out handfuls of candy or has it in their hand to give you or leaves it there on your desk- wait till they leave and throw it away. You don't need to feel guilty about that because basically it is poison. If that is too much to have the candy even near you tell them you just brushed your teeth or are full from the previous meal. If they continue to push just look at them quizzically and don't say anything more because they obviously have a problem and might need some help. Haha I hope this helps. I know my sisters used to constantly push food on me and "oh no you don't need to diet" or "oh you can have just a little bit" I wish I had looked at them and said "What is the problem here? Are you Ok?" Haha just remember misery loves company
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 14:45

Plan: whole food
Stats: 210/230/185 Male 5'7
BF:20
Progress: -80%

All of these holidays are nothing but bad times for my fat self.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 14:52

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I was wondering, if anyone else finds one bad day can set you back for at least a week. What I mean is, I sometimes work for a sous chef, and I find that something as small as a TASTE of a piece of choclate cake can show the next day as a two pound gain. I find that you CAN'T cheat on LC or pay big time. Do others find that? My progress is slow (I am in menopause) so it seems even the slightest deviation is deadly. I think I remember Atkins saying that too. Does anyone else find that the tiniest cheat is deadly?