Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 09:34

Plan: Atkins-Gastric Bypass
Stats: 285/178/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 79%

John, you are my inspiration. When I get down and wishing for that cig/food, I think of you. You are battling several demons at one time...food/alchohol/nicotine...and on top of that you have a tendency to be bi-polar. My God...you are incredible.

If you are having a hard time.....NO DUH! You are battling many foes. You have been successful on most fronts, so don't beat yourself up over the slip, just get back on track and keep getting back on track. I applaud your efforts.

I wrote earlier that my craves for cigs are temporary and if I keep that in mind it helps. Funny, but I was going to mention at that time that it was like depression (maybe I did say this, don't remember). I learned that depression is temporary too. Although it lasts longer than a 30 minute crave for a cig, it is no less temporary and will go away. You must realize this too having suffered from depression, but sometimes it helps to point this fact out. That way when it is at its worst, please remember, that it is a temporary state of being and will pass. It will pass!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 11:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Wink Thanks for the kind words kodi10 / gwilson38

Feeling much better recently. I stopped taking the anti-depressents. Started feeling dead inside. That is, no drive, ambition, or motivation in general life and work. After a day or 2 now, I seem to be back to my "normal" self. (whatever that is...lol )

Also only had to take the heart medication 2-times in the last 2-3 days. Seems normal now,... the heart beat.

I, for some reason now, have a handle on both addictions, cigs and the booze. I have been able to have 3-5 cigs a day without going crazy for one. Some days none. It's like a "treat", if you follow me on this.

Also have gone out to the bar / grill and had dinner and a couple drinks without the problems coming up, with being out of control, like I tended to be years ago. Seem to have "balance" in all things now?!?

Very weird but as long as this trend continues, who knows. If it get's out of control, like in the past, I'll stop, until then I'm gonna ride with it for now. I seem more relaxed as well by doing this. I don't "crave" either one badly.

Again thanks for the support and good job with your conquest too.

Cheers, John
  #48   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 16:05

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hey John

Glad to hear things are looking up for ya!

There have been times in my life when it seems like too many things have been going on at once (relationship problems, career decisions, weight issues, health issues) and that's when I have decided to take a step back and decide what the most important thing was to work on at the moment. Sounds like that's what you are doing now, and I wish you all the success in the world. It's times like this that we need to remember that we are all "works in progress". Face one battle at a time and you are more likely to win them all in time.

We're all rooting for you!!

All the best,
  #49   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 22:33

Plan: Atkins-Gastric Bypass
Stats: 285/178/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 79%

John, you have me a little concerned. Let me explain. I know that if you are, in fact, bipolar, then you will have a tendency to want to come off your meds when you are going through the manic phase. (Who wants to bring themselves down when feeling great). But this is a double edged sword because it also prevents the depressed times from getting so bad. Only you know whether this is what you are doing, but please talk to your doc about meds. Wouldn't want it to cause more problems down the line.

I think if you can control your cigs to 2-4 a day, and your drinks to a minimum that is great, but is that really what you can do? I could not do that, but always wished I could. Just be watchful of the "just one more" syndrome. You know, when you are sitting there and reflect on the fact that you have already had four cigs, but just one more, you can have just one more......you can handle it........same with drinks.

Keep us posted on your progress. I still have not lit up, but I did bum a puff the other day. That is just too scary, cause I liked it too much. Three or four a day would never satisfy me....

Starting back on induction tomorrow, so wish me luck.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 09:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145-1/140/125
BF:
Progress:
Default INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone!
I've never posted here before because it didn't immediately hit me that this particular link has something to do with me! I'm in my late 20's, and have been smoking since I was 14 (perfect time to start, wouldn't you say?? ), tried to quit 3 times to no avail.
Then an ex-smoker friend of mine suggested a book that might help me. A BOOK. Oh, please, I thought. No book could ever succesfully shield me from my nic cravings!(a pack-packandahalf/day)No way. I was a hardcore, confirmed smoker- pathetically even smoked while pregnant
One day I finally picked up the book and read it after having it in my posession for some time (I think I was bored that day). It took me about 1 month to finish. You can finish it in a day if you want to!
See, the book operates on the basic principles of hypnotherapy. It actually speaks to your subconscious. Sounds hoakey, I know, believe me but I've been a non-smoker since THE BOOK told me to put out my last cig. (You smoke the whole time reading it- he actually advises AGAINST cutting down)
That night I went out for drinks with friends. NO problem! I remember thinking that I SHOULD be wanting one...but I'm not! And I haven't in 6 months!
The name of the book is "Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking". I bought the book for a ton of my friends and family that Christmas. So far a friend of mine has quit (after 11 yrs), my sister (after 20 yrs) and the one that makes me so happy I could pee --- my MOM has quit after just over 35yrs!!!!!!The others haven't read it yet. They will!
Please give the book a chance. It's a tad repetitive, but know that 's the method behind the madness. For some reason a lot of people I know from Europe are familiar with this method and it's successes. Yet not many Westerners do. Go figure. Something to do with big buisness, I'm sure.
If this solution has already been posted, please forgive me. Just take this as an incredible success story. I was suckin' on those things like there was no tomorrow(note the irony ) And I'm a singer! UGH!
Much much love and strength!
xoLilshug
  #51   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 16:48

Plan: mostly paleo
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

hi lilshug. Great suggestion!

What you could do is repost this info under a new thread on this forum--use a title that will help others find the info if they want it.

I quit biting my nails through hypnosis--worked like a charm, but of course nail biting doesn't involve a physical addiction to a set of drugs!
  #52   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 15:14

Plan: Atkins, BFL
Stats: 182.5/160/125
BF:
Progress: 39%
Thumbs up Congrats!!

Congrats on y'alls decision to quit smoking!!

With the help of Nicorette gum (2mg), it's been 15 weeks without any cigarettes for me. I've been off the gum for the last 3 weeks, and I feel wonderful. I found that when I cut down on carbs, the last of my nicotine craving was totally gone too.

I work with a bunch of people who smoke, and sometimes I felt like they didn't want me to quit!! I mean....they'd be blowing smoke in my face and constantly offering their cigarettes to me even though they knew I was trying to quit. But I did it!! Now it doesn't bother me to see other people smoking because I don't have to need to smoke. I can smell a lot better now, and food tastes much better too!!

Good luck on quitting!! It's definitely worth it!!

#53   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 20:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/225/155
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs up Congrats!

Know what you mean! Those first couple of days are a killer but, you're past them now. You are going to start feeling great, I quit 6 months ago for good(I had tried several times before), the only way for me was cold turkey too. I think I sweated out the nicotine though (the chills in the night).

It takes a tremendous amount of willpower to do what you have done and my thought on quitting cigs is: If you can quit smoking there is nothing else you cannot do!

Keep up the great work and be very proud!

Sharon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do not follow the common path. Go where there is no path and leave a trail.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 22:50

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry I can relate to that...

when it feels like those around you don't want you to quit. I have a friend and we used to be smoking buddies as we live in the same building and neither of us smoke indoors. She kept saying things like, "Oh well, don't feel bad if you fail" and other comments that were veiled to sound supportive but I felt were actually quite non -supportive. And one co-worker just said, "you'll be back". Nice.. thanks for the support, jackass!

Just remember, you are stronger and better than any old addiction, and you can just prove all the naysayers wrong by continuing to be a non-smoker. That's my plan!

We all have something to be proud of!

Three cheers for us!