Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 15:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 341/284.0/210 Male 72
BF:Unknown/32.5/17
Progress: 44%
Default Icing Help!

Looking for a good recipie to make an icing for cake and still be low carb. I know one of the main things in icing is sugar and I assume it can be swapped for splenda is this correct!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 15:58
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I make icings with cream cheese, heavy cream or half and half, and flavored Davinci syrups.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 10:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I make icings with butter, cream cheese, sweetener, chicolin, and flavouring extracts. Splenda does not have the bulking ability that icing sugar has. If you can find chicolin in a natural foods store it will provide the bulk that icing sugar does, with a little bit of sweetness.

I don't have a recipe because I rarely make icing. When I do, I just mix it all together to taste.

If you go to the Contents at the top of the Sweet Treats Forum and scroll down to Sauces, Frostings, Spreads, and Toppings, you'll find a few recipes for icing.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 04:37

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Karen, if you like inulin (chiculin), then I'd highly recommend giving polydextrose a try. It provides the same sugarlike bulking properties/prebiotic health benefits as inulin with a few less carbs/calories - at a fraction of the cost.

For instance, the chiculin you're getting from WholeApproach is $14 a lb. The polydextrose I buy is $1.80 a lb. That's a huge difference in price for two products that mirror each other's abilities.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-04, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb,low-mod. protein
Stats: 116/116/114 Female 62 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 0%

I've tried frostings and icings with all combinations of those suggested above. One of my favorites is buttercream (butter, cream and a powdered sugar alcohol--like maltitol or erythritol) whipped up. If I want more of a frosting I'd omit the cream and just use the butter and sweetener, maybe with cream cheese added. I intend to see what polydextrose does in the frostings....I just ordered some and am waiting for it to arrive. One of my favorite things to do is to make a "ganache" ...a second topping that usually gets poured over the first icing, drips down the side of the cake (and can also be used as part of a layering effect in a layer cake).....that one is VERY easily made by chopping up your favorite already-sweetened low-carb chocolate bar (white, milk or dark) into tiny bits....or using the sugar free mini-chocolate chips....and then pour hot cream over it and stir it until melted. Just use enough cream to do the trick. Once it is smooth and blended together let it thicken slightly, then pour over the top of your already-iced cake (or layer within a cake) and put it in the refridge where it will solidify. This not only taste good, it looks great, especially if you are making a chocolate ganache over a white frosting or vice versa....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-04, 18:50

BF:

Lscoop, when you give the polydextrose icing a shot, please let us know how it goes. I'm sure you're aware of this, but I highly recommend blending the polydextrose into a fine powder for icing, since it has similar texture/melting properties as sugar and could make your icing grainy.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 04:12

BF:

Karen, when you add the inulin to your icing do you do anything special with it? Does it dissolve like powdered sugar does?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 04:41

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

One of my favorite icings is pretty simple. I use 1 oz cream cheese, 2 tbsp butter and splenda to taste. I use it to top my lc treats and especially for "stuffed" mock french toast. I was craving the icing from red velvet cake and now it's become one of my favorite toppings. Very quick and easy.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 10:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Karen, when you add the inulin to your icing do you do anything special with it? Does it dissolve like powdered sugar does?
It does, but I add a little liquid to the icing when mixing. I only use inulin in thin, glaze type icings. For big fluffy icing, I make buttercream.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 16:06

BF:

Great, thanks!