Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 14:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/230/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default when you exercise, do you eat more to compensate?

Went to the gym this morning, walked on the treadmill for 35 minutes. It said I burned 267 calories. I think that's a bit high, but I burned something. Which leads me to the question.....If you work out, do you try to eat extra calories to maintain a certain level? I would think that, if I ate 1200 calories, but burned 200 of it away exercising, that the 1000 left would be a very low calorie level for the day.

What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 14:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Most people do, that's why it is being reported so often that exercise doesn't really help for weight loss.

IMHO do it for health, not weight loss. Also, too much cardio can slow your metabolism (it does in some people). So weight lifting or intervals are probably better.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 14:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/230/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

okay, so what's a good caloric level if you're doing some form of exercise? Keeping in mind that I'm a 48 year old woman weighing 229 pounds.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 15:02
Experimenter

BF:

I don't really understand the question. Atkins doesn't involve calorie counting. Exercising will probably stimulate your appetite.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 15:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansdogta
Went to the gym this morning, walked on the treadmill for 35 minutes. It said I burned 267 calories. I think that's a bit high, but I burned something. Which leads me to the question.....If you work out, do you try to eat extra calories to maintain a certain level? I would think that, if I ate 1200 calories, but burned 200 of it away exercising, that the 1000 left would be a very low calorie level for the day.

What do you all think?

Just eat to your daily carb level. Eat breakfast before going so you won't get hungry and you'll have energy to burn...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 15:56
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

To be honest, I don't really notice a change in my appetite from exercise. In fact, I feel calm, peaceful and content for the hour following a workout -- but not hungrier.

Based on my current volume of LC food, I eat at a 1000 calorie per day deficit (give or take a few), I eat until I'm satisfied and generally don't feel hungry between meals. A good walk or weight training makes the deficit even greater -- as I tend to eat the same volume of food everyday.

This may be more true for those in carb burning mode. I'm a fat burner - and if I do feel more hungry after a workout, then my brain didn't get the memo. I'm still far from my goal weight. Perhaps this will change when I don't have that much fat left on me to burn.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 15:59
Experimenter

BF:

I definitely feel hungrier after cardio exercise. Weight lifting, not so much.