Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 05:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default High fasting glucose predicts weight loss on a lower carb diet

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...70612094115.htm

Quote:
Fasting glucose as a marker for greater weight loss on a high-fiber, low-glycemic diet

Researchers from the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, together with colleagues from Gelesis and the University of Copenhagen, presented preliminary data demonstrating that study participants with high fasting plasma glucose lost more weight than those with low fasting plasma glucose when following a high-fiber, low-glycemic load diet.

Presented at the American Diabetes Association's 77th Scientific Sessions, the data suggest that fasting plasma glucose levels -- also called blood sugar levels -- could be helpful in determining the type of diet that is most effective for weight management for people with prediabetes or diabetes.

"Fasting blood sugar is easily measured and our findings suggest that it could serve as a useful measure in advising some patients on the type of diet that is most beneficial for their weight loss," said senior author Sai Krupa Das, Ph.D., scientist in the Energy Metabolism Laboratory at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University in Boston.

"The biggest benefits of the high-fiber, low-glycemic diet were seen in people with high fasting blood sugar levels. Study participants with higher blood sugar levels lost more weight on a high-fiber, low-glycemic diet than those on the same diet with lower blood sugar levels, suggesting that it might be possible to optimize weight loss approaches based on a simple clinical measure," she continued.

Das is the senior author on the Healthy Weight for Living Study which found that workplace-based weight programs could be an effective approach for people with significant weight loss goals. Data from that study was used in this new analysis.

Participants in the six month study who were overweight or with obesity and who had high fasting blood glucose lost a greater percentage of body weight (-9.4 percent) compared to those with low fasting blood glucose (-4.1 percent). Notably, 79 percent of participants with high fasting blood glucose had lost five percent of their body weight compared to 50 percent with low fasting blood glucose.

In addition, 36 percent in the high group, vs. 8 percent in the low group lost 10 percent of their body weight.

"The difference in response among those with high fasting blood sugar and lower fasting blood sugar is important. It might be time to consider glycemic status when advising patients on the best strategy for weight loss," said study author Susan B. Roberts, Ph.D., director of the Energy Metabolism Laboratory at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University.

Participants in the Healthy Weight for Living Study benefited from a behavioral weight loss intervention based on the "I diet" which is a high-fiber and low-glycemic weight loss program that includes behavioral support.

Might as well say elevated fasting insulin as glucose.

This reminded me of the Kevin Hall-Nusi study, which Hall believes falsifies the Carbohydrate/Insulin hypothesis. One of the critiques of the study is that it used non-insulin resistant obese subjects. So if one of the questions asked in that study was "is there a metabolic advantage to a ketogenic diet?" it was more specific than that, more like "is there a metabolic advantage to a ketogenic diet in insulin sensitive obese people?"
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 06:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

A low-glycemic approach is likely to have varying degrees of success based on the individual, as you point out. My issue with low-glycemic is that it never completely eliminated my tendency to have cravings for certain foods, as, for me, it was a really weak way to control the impact of carbs, glucose levels, and the inevitable insulin release that would accompany the feeding. Not until I went strict low carb and ignored the glycemic index completely did I realize the ability to make a LC WOE a long term proposition.

This 6-month study is notable for the reduction in weight for those experiencing high BG after fasting, and the percentage of subjects experiencing a greater weight loss with higher fasting BG is notable, I'm wondering how this would look over 1-2 years. Would a consistent reduction in weight continue, could the low-glycemic approach be sustained over a longer time period, and as the subjects got closer to a target weight, would this dynamic continue? Much to explore here, but for me, low glycemic is just another higher carb diet that is difficult to manage and achieve success.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 08:23

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't know how low carb the intervention actually was though, low glycemic load could mean anywhere from Atkins to something more like the Zone.

The low glycemic index diet for epilepsy bothers me for the same reason you give. It sounds like the sort of higher carb, lower glycemic index diet as used in the mainstream, by the name, but it's actually only about ten percent carbohydrate--more liberal compared to 4:1 or 3:1 diets, but still low enough in carbohydrate that most of the power of the diet is going to come from carbohydrate restriction rather than the nature of the carbs.

Most of my carbs do end up being low glycemic index, but that's because two and a half fruit loops really isn't as satisfying as a bunch of buttery spinach.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 14:44

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

My vision of you bisecting a fruit loop . . . . .
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 16:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

So it was people with high fasting BG BEFORE the diet began, yes?

Quote:
One of the critiques of the study is that it used non-insulin resistant obese subjects.

OooOOoo that's very interesting.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-17, 17:41
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

Quote:
subjects with high fasting blood glucose lost a greater percentage of body weight ...
Oh well I am in that group then with FBS often above 100
If I don't eat breakfast it may continue to rise, but eventually goes down into the 90's or lower

There is a condition many people have called "Dawn Phenomenon" and it's a normal thing.

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Jun-15-17 at 17:46.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-17, 08:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

So it was people with high fasting BG BEFORE the diet began, yes?