Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 16:44
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%

Thanks for the reply.....is this the same for soy flour???? I keep seeing it in recipes and was ready to purchase and try.....maybe I should not??!! Any suggestions on use of soy flour would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 13:24

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Thumbs down Yep! Soy is Soy

Soy products are not good for us...at least that is my thinking, based upon what I've read about it and other lentils and beans (legumes). Sure, they have a lot of protein in them, but they must be cooked to get the poisons in some of them to safe levels for human consumption. Limas, Favas, Soy and others are toxic in their natural state. They are full of alkaloids. Most of these alkaloids are cooked out of them when we boil them, or whatever...but there are traces left, depending on how well they have been cooked. Some people are deathly allergic to certain types of legumes...that is why restaurants shuld tell you if they are using soy products...every once in a while, somebody comes in that has a terrible allergic reaction and, sometimes, they even die. Of course, there are probably certain people who are allergic to just about anything. Potatoes, yams, tomatoes, peppers, egg plant are all members of the nightshade family...you know, Jimson Weed, morning glories...datura. Potatoes are posionous in their raw state, too, even if you do sprinkle salt on them and eat them raw. That's not a superstition about eating the eyes of potatoes...the eyes of postatoes are chucked full of deadly alkaloids. My question is this...Why eat something that needs to be cooked to make it fit for human consumption? Did you know that cashews are part of the poison ivy family? That's why you aren't supposed to eat them, raw...they will give you a rash, quite often, that is quite painful and could stop yur breathing. At least, that's what I've been told. So, I stay away from them, too. Dairy products are full of lots of stuff that isn't necessarily good for us, either. Forget grains! They are so full of bad stuff like the bad phytates that they are probably the cause...not just a contributor, but the CAUSE of most human autoimmune disorders like arthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, obesity, lupus, M.S., and cancer. There! Now you have heard from a true Paleo-Dieter! Yeah, we tend to be a little "Neandernutty."
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 15:02
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

well .. while i agree with some of that.. you don't eat chicken raw, why should you eat beans or whatever raw.. either will make you sick.. there are certian types fish that are poisonious but if cooked just right are wonderful ...
just about everything now adays could make you sick though! breathing can make you sick in some cities!
just my two cents
Crysania
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 21:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

yeah i am confused. like....isnt breast milk dairy?? what are babies supposed to drink???
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 14:15

Talking Breast milk is good for babies!!

Breast milk...human breast milk, is generally good for babies, but by the time we arrive at about three years old, we have all become lactose intolerant, even to mother's milk. Milk is for BABIES...of the same species. People will say, "But, Ray!! Surely you jest! Why I have been drinking milk since I was a child and I have no allergy to it...I'm not lactose intolerant." Oh, really? Do you have lupus? How about arthritis? Do you know anyone who has cancer? How about MS? Rheumatoid arthritis...or a cholostomy? Does your skin ever itch? Just a thought, mind you. Are you obese? Why? Is it JUST because you overeat? Think about it. Many people who are overweight don't neccessarily eat any more than some skinny people. Is it that your metabolism is different? Have you ever thought as to why your metabolism is different? "OH! That's a family trait!" Really? Or is it because you come from a long line of milk drinkers? Just a thought, mind you. Or do you get sleepy after drinking a nice big glass of cold cow's milk? You say, "But that is caused by the amino acids in milk that cause you to get sleepy." Oh, maybe...but, then again??? Just a thought, mind you. Since I started this woe (no grains, no dairy, no potatoes, or yams, no refined sugar, or substitutes), I no longer get sleepy after lunch...I haven't had a cold or been sick, in any way for over two years. I was one of those people who was sick during the winter about every three weeks with a cold...I'm a school teacher and always around sick kids...No more! They sneeze all over me. No colds! There is something to be said for my WOE. All of the other teachers miss work because they get colds...Now, I'm just buildng up my sick time for the future when I can retire early to a HEALTHY Retirement. Think of the billions of dollars each year that could be saved in sick time, alone, if people would give my WOE a try. Our paychecks could be larger and we would have more money to do fun things like exercise, and back pack, or go to the races, or sit and do the knitting and darning socks... whatever. Just a thought, mind you
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 17:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

well....i am a teacher also and i know plenty, PLENTY, of teachers who dont get sick at all. does that mean they all eat like you????

oh and just a thought, mind you, just a thought, all my grandparents (all 4 still living) and great grandparents (3 still living) grew up in small villages drinking what.....MILK. goats milk to be exact. making their own cheeses, fresh eggs from their chickens, growing their own vegetables, killing their own meat. lots of hard labor too but not so much nowadays as they are in their 70's 80's and 90's. these people are NEVER sick. no diseases. but nahhhh, that couldnt be because of their lifestyles and the fact that pollution and preservatives have never touched their bodies. i mean, PLEASE, my 76 year old grandmother to this day drinks a glass of milk for breakfast and can still haul the 50 pound chicken feed on her back!
if it works for you great. some things work for me that dont for other people and vice versa. does that mean i am going to become overzealous and impose my views on others? hell no.

"Many people who are overweight don't neccessarily eat any more than some skinny people. Is it that your metabolism is different? Have you ever thought as to why your metabolism is different? "

oh and in order for this quote to make any sense you have to prove that the skinny people dont drink milk. good luck.

just a thought

Last edited by eve25 : Wed, Oct-08-03 at 17:18.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 18:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 385/346/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Pumpkin seeds!!! They are awesome for snacking. It would take HOURS to eat a 5oz bag that has 8 grams of effective carbs.... They are compact, portable and cheap... Get David brand... The others seem to have some white powder coating that is messy...
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 20:11
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/235/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Angie,

Another name for pine nuts is pignoli...They are sometimes put on top of Italian cookies and are added to Pesto.

Slimcat
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 16:07

Talking Well, excuuuuuse me!

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend, but it seems I did. I didn't try to impose my way of thinking on anybody else, but there are lots of healthy people out there who drink milk and Jim Beam, and eat twelve eggs a day and also all the pasta they want. I'm not saying that it effects all people that way. We are the product of our evolution. Millions of years of it. That means there are members of the population who could probably eat most anything and survive. But, if you want to look at populations, you might find some truth to what I have put forward. However, I'm not trying to force this on anyone. Take it or leave it, that's my motto. Just a thought, mind you. Incidentally, the only major change in my life has been this woe. Now, for over two and a half years, I haven't contracted a cold. That says something to me about my immune system being built up. I was on WW for about five years and never had this kind of results even though I lost 117 pounds and was a triathelete. Just a thought. Whatever, DUDE!!!
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 12:15

Unhappy Hi, Eve

After re-reading Eve's note back to mine about my woe, I have some further thoughts...A lot of skinny people eat milk by-products and drink milk. Also, a lot of skinny people have auto-immune disorders. Am I saying that milk is the only cause of such things? No. I'm just suggesting that we don't know what traits we have in our genetic makeup and that when one looks at populations and sees the lesson of history for POPULATIONS, again, we see that the autoimmune disorders seemed to start with the advent of civilization...the growing of grains, raising of root crops, and the raising of ruminant animals for their milk. Their is no 100% proof that this was the cause of autoimmune disorders, but it does make one think, doesn't it? That's where my "just a thought, mind you..." comes from.

My grandparents all lived to be quite old...well on my Dad's side, anyway. They were farmers, too. So was my dad. He ate lima beans and string beans and corn, and potatoes every day and drank tons of milk...he died at 86. At the time he had recently contracted a form of lukemia that probably wouldn't have killed him because he was already so old. He also recently had problems with his heart. Neither of those killed him. His garden did!!!! He fell over a line that was running along his potatoes and basically bled to death in his garden. So! My point, entirely! See? All of those bad veggies got him! Especially, the potatoes, who were lying in wait for him!!!

Again, let's have a little bit of a sense of humor, here. You can beleive whatever you want to believe and do whatever you want. I'm certainly not trying to impose my woe on anybody else. And, I'm sorry, but I don't see that pointing out these "thoughts" is being overzealous. Being Zealous...yeah, maybe...but, OVERZEALOUS? I don't really see that. It seems that someone is a little angry and it doesn't appear to be me.

Slimcat and Michael R., I agree with you. Pumpkin seeds are a great snack and wonderful in salads, too. So are pine nuts. I like to make a combo pack of almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, a very few raisens and a couple of prunes to take along with me to the movies. Then when the wonderful smell of popcorn and fake butter assaults my nostrils, I dip into my little bag and pull out a couple of seeds or nuts and munch away... they can take the whole movie to be done with. I also put a little lemon juice in a bottle of water and drink that, instead of a huge cola.