Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 21:58
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up Kamalco's Garlic BBQ Chicken

This is a traditional Lebanese dish created by Hickmat Aboulhosn, owner of Seattle's Kamalco's Restaurant (sadly closed since 1995). This was the best chicken EVER in my opinion. These recipes were printed in the Seattle Weekly during the mid ‘80’s and I had to post them here so this special dish won’t be lost to time. I modified the garlic sauce slightly, exchanging cauliflower for potato, making the carb count more reasonable.

Barbeque Marinade
1 cup red wine vinegar
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup water
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
3 tsp chile powder
3 tsp yellow curry powder

Combine all ingredients. Marinate the chicken (whole) in the mixture for about 5 hours, in the refrigerator. For best flavor, cook over an outdoor barbecue (or an indoor grill) for 35-40 minutes. Serve half chicken per plate.

*I didn’t include official carb counts since we don’t actually eat most of the marinade ingredients, but it definitely does affect the numbers a little - I estimate 4 per whole chicken.

Modified Garlic Sauce
½ cup fresh garlic cloves (21)
¾ cup cooked cauliflower (2.5)
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp lemon juice (1)
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp salad oil

Mix all ingredients in a blender until well-blended, but not runny - the consistency should be slightly thicker than that of mayo. Serve the sauce on the side, as it is very potent. About 2.5 net carbs per 2 tablespoons.

*Original recipe calls for 1 cooked potato (31) instead of cauliflower; it changes the net carbs to 6.7 per 2 tablespoons.

Everyone, please enjoy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 22:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Monika, thank you so much for posting this recipe. We used to eat at Kamalco's once or twice a month, and were upset when they closed. Now I can make the chicken again!

Last edited by FionaMcB : Thu, Jun-19-03 at 22:11.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 01:12

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

oh wow Monika this sounds amazing - I'm going to give it a try on Sunday!!!

thanks

Fiona
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:58
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:

NOTE:

The marinade is way TOO salty - instead of 2 tablespoons of salt, I'm trying 2 teaspoons - hopefully this will be better.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-11, 12:05

Plan: none
Stats: 190/190/200 Male 6
BF:
Progress:
Default kamalco restaurant

Hello,

I stumbled upon this thread today amd was very surprised to see my dad's chicken recipe posted on the web.
how has this recipe worked for you over the years? does it taste like we used to prepare it at kamalco's?

i just wanted to say thanks, it's good to know that we still have our fans out there.

sincerly,
Gus hosn
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-11, 14:57
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

This sounds truly awesome, I'm going to give it a try. Does this qualify as Lebanese food? (I have no idea what Lebanese food might be. Here in Oklahoma we are somewhat lacking in decent ethnic options I'm afraid!)

PJ
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-11, 10:27

Stats: 190/190/200 Male 6
BF:
Progress:

yes this is lebanese food, a little more unique than the usual search results but authentic none the less
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 00:03

Plan: the Yano plan
Stats: 185/185/185 Male 74.5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Kamalcoson

My partner and I used to go to your dad's restaurant pretty often, and the BBQ chicken was always our favorite dish (along with the lentil soup and the rice pilaf that came with it). We were very sad to find the restaurant had closed 16 years ago, and we still miss it.

Do you operate a restaurant now? I seem to recall you had one up in the Lynnwood area, and I'd love to renew my association with your family's wonderful cuisine. If you don't, can you make a recommendation, preferably one that uses your dad's BBQ chicken recipe?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 13:21
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Smile

I am so honored to meet you, Gus Hosn!

I wish I'd seen your post sooner, but I don't participate in this forum any longer - I was just here like I always do lately: To spread the word about this wonderful recipe.

Your recipe has become famous in my circle of friends and I always give Kamalco's credit. But no - it's not nearly as wonderful as the real thing, cooking on your rotisserie, fat dripping from one chicken to brown and crisp the one underneath. Yum!

Please pass on to your father, your whole family, how much many of my friends LOVE the recipe and if you ever wish to share the recipe for Shish Tawook, I promise to treat it in the same loving way. LOL

Sincerely,
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-11, 11:40
Registered Member

Stats: 160/160/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I'm going to try this one tonight...looks so yummy!
I'm sure it will be fantastic
Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 01:58

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I am sorry we never tried this restaurant, I married and moved to WA state the year it apparently closed.

Thank you so much for posting the recipe..it looks awesome, and I can't wait for us to make this.