Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 09:07

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%
Default Spicy Shortbread

This is a regular in our house - a great 'biscuit' (cookie) with a cup of tea or coffee. You could roll it out and cut cookie shapes, or make balls and flatten them, but I'm too lazy and this way is easier and quicker .

Spicy Shortbread

45 gms Carbalose
30 gms Soy/Whey Protein Isolate
35 gms Coconut, finely ground {total 225 gms of flour-y type sub/mix}
50 gms Ground Linseeds
65 gms Ground Almonds

1 t Baking Powder
2 t Mixed Spice
1/8 t Stevia
10 Splenda tablets, crushed

150 gms Butter, cut into chunks
2 T DaVinci SF Syrup (Caramel or Irish Cream eg)

Mix all dry ingredients and rub in butter (or use food processor for ease and speed). Add DaVinci to bind into a soft dough. Spread and knead the dough into an 8" square silicone pan (or grease an ordinary one) then cut into 32 fingers (8x4). P r ick with a fork (censor-proofed ).

Bake at 160 for about 45 minutes – should be golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. For the look, sprinkle lightly with granulated Splenda or don't bother and just EAT. I store this in a box in the fridge and it actually improves the longer it's stored, but that doesn't really happen in our house very often

This entire recipe has about 20 carbs, so maybe 0.6 per piece.
Babs
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 14:21

Plan: ****
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 25
BF:
Progress: 29%

Thank you for sharing this interesting looking recipe.

What is in your "mixed spice?" I suppose I could make something up, but what do you use?

Is that 160C? That would be 320F for those of us with American ovens?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 19:27

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Mixed spice is sold here as a mix - would that be Allspice with you? I imagine it contains the usual cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, so you could use whatever proportions/spices you particularly liked.
The oven temp at 320 is about right - my oven is a fan oven, so if you're using an ordinary one it might need to be a tad higher.
I hope you try this - it really is easy and tastes great for very few carbs.
Babs
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 23:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
Mixed spice is sold here as a mix - would that be Allspice with you? I imagine it contains the usual cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, so you could use whatever proportions/spices you particularly liked.
The oven temp at 320 is about right - my oven is a fan oven, so if you're using an ordinary one it might need to be a tad higher.

Greetings, Babs.

Over here in North America, the closest commonly available mixed spice thing is known as either Gingerbread or Pumpkin Pie Spice... though those of us with Dutch heritage might know it as Speculaas Spice.

"Allspice" is actually a single spice, despite the name, mildly reminiscent of cloves and nutmeg together but with a nice tang all its own, from Jamaica.
Lovely stuff, I mix it up into my own personal all-purpose mixed "gingerbread/pumpkin pie" spice blend, consisting of Cinnamon, Ginger, Allspice, Nutmeg (or Mace), Cloves. Yummy.

Also, I think the "fan ovens" are known over here as convection ovens, we usually need to set those to a slightly lower temperature on the dial than a standard oven (like my gas oven), so I'd try the recipe at 300F or thereabouts...

Nice sounding recipe, by the way! I must add it to my list of good stuff to be trying...