Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 12:26

Plan: any
Stats: 143/143/143 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:
Default Anyone intolerant of Splenda?

I have lots of allergies and chemical sensitivities, but no other health issues, not on any meds. Healthy normal weight (modified low carb for hubby). Have used Sweet n Low for 30 yrs. with no problems in coffee and tea. I have had some odd things pop up and am wondering if it is because we switched to using generic splenda (aldi's and walmarts)....I did have a reaction to Stevia mix, (headache, bp spike, shakiness).....just wonder if anyone has had any problems with it and their solution.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 12:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Is it Splenda or sucralose? I wonder if it is the filler. Have you tried sucralose drops? They don't use the corn based filler.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 18:50
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 210/220/175 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress:

I have issues with all artificial sweeteners. Aspartame is particularly bad, and Splenda or sucralose are both migraine triggers for me.

Stevia isn't too bad, although if I have more than a small bit it does get to me. The only hypothesis I'm left with is it has to do with the insulin response.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-15, 07:31

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Splenda or liquid sucralose outwardly appears to cause no problems with me. Aspartame is an immediate trigger for ocular migraines. Stevia, again is no problem for me outwardly; however, I wonder about my insulin response with either stevia or sucralose, so I stay away from all sweeteners at this point and only very rarely (every couple months or more) indulge in some stevia sweetened drink. From other similar threads on this forum, it appears that people's reactions vary on the continuum from no outward reactions to acute reactions.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-15, 07:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Funny thing is, most of those sweeteners also use the same sort of filler: dextrose.

I've never seen any actual proof that non-caloric sweeteners cause an insulin response. Yes, I've search PubMed. All the studies I found showed there isn't any response other than pre-cephalic insulin response, what you'd pretty much expect from anything with a taste.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-15, 06:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

For me, the problem is the large molecules, which keep them from being digested, are similar to eating barbed wire when they get to my intestines.

Pedantic note: Have not actually eaten barbed wire to make this comparison.