Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-15, 12:14

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%
Default Thrive Market

I found a new on line store that carries a lot of items that work well with a low carb woe. It is called Thrive Market. I didn't post the direct link because if you enter the site first time as new customer you get 15% off your first order (unless the special has ended).

They carry lots of coconut items - oil, mana, chips, flour, and more.
Emphasis seems to be on organic items and you can search by gluten free, Paleo, vegan, and other breakdowns.

Their prices on many items were lower than I can get at the store, especially with the extra discount. They do want you to buy a year long membership, but you get one to two months free trial membership to see if you like them.

Just wanted to share.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-15, 17:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf, and Chris Kresser, my favorite Paleo guys, have extra discounts if you add their affiliate codes. Think 20% and x off first order? Giveaways too.
Long advert at start of every podcast, so I have been wondering if I would order enough to make it worth it? With only two of us, Rarely making the items that need nut flours, and a nearby Trader Joes, not sure worth the yearly fee. We gave up Sam's Club because it did not make sense, but I almost want to join just to support the endeavor.

A random on-line review: http://gutsybynature.com/2015/02/22...embership-cost/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jun-10-15 at 17:15.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-15, 17:42

I agree with the on-line review link above. From the items I have checked, Thrive Market does come in lower than Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. They are based in CA and I am on the East coast, so shipping does take several days, up to a week.

Their customer service is excellent. I called with a couple of questions and in moments was speaking to a real person in the US. One concern I voiced was that a number of their products contain sugar (just because it is organic sugar, doesn't mean I want it!). Customer Service rep was positive and explained that they are still in the process of adding many more products to their inventory and were very open and receptive to suggestions on brands and items to carry.

That's funny that the on-line review did explain that they will get a kick back if you link from them. That is the other reason I didn't post a link from me. Didn't want to try to make a bonus if any of you guys joined.

Received part of an order today and rest is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. DH acted like it was X-Mas with the cans of coconut cream and jars of coconut manna he got.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-15, 22:30

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I placed an order a month or so ago because of what I felt was a good offer through MDA. I have to say, it took some doing to find enough that I wanted to make up the $49 to get free shipping. They do have a lot of things that are probably of interest to many, and their prices are good, but I just don't shop/cook/purchase that way anymore. The free e-books that I got from MDA because of the offer were worth it for me, but I will be canceling my membership before the free introductory period is over. Thrive is essentially a supermarket (with good prices, and a better choice of products) but I don't buy much in supermarkets anymore. Local farmers and ranchers, and (once every couple of months) Trader Joe's takes care of my needs for the most part - except avocados; Oregon doesn't have too many local avocado orchards :-) . I can't see that I would make up the $60 membership fee, though can easily imagine that others with less time than I have (I'm retired), and less inclination to cook from scratch, would find it a practical solution. I would like to continue with it, because it sounds like their business model is one which I could endorse. But I don't buy much with labels, and that is what they sell. [From my first, and only, purchase I augmented my tinned fish pantry shelf quite nicely, but I don't think I could make up the yearly membership fee in tinned fish alone :-)]
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-15, 23:12

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm trying to see what they sell but they want me to sign up first, I guess. I can only see one page with kale chips and green grass stuff in a jar.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 11:33

It is weird to get into the site to look around. If I remember correctly, they just want your email. You aren't actually joining until you fill out info, give credit card, and place an order.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 12:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieshops
That's funny that the on-line review did explain that they will get a kick back if you link from them. That is the other reason I didn't post a link from me. Didn't want to try to make a bonus if any of you guys joined.

Thank you for that.

Just a reminder in case anyone else is tempted to post their personal link .. please note that affiliate codes/links are considered promotional and thus a violation of the forum rules. It will be removed, so please don't do it.

#8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 13:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sorry! Didn't notice that, I purposely left off the three Paleo guys links but didn't carry my thought process through to a comparison review.

Thanks Verbena, we seem to be at the same place. If I was buying bars and protein powders it might make "cents" , but a few bags of almond meal, not so much.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 14:24

I just received the rest of my order today and am very happy with everything. Well packed and cushioned in sturdy boxes. At this point, I am going to keep my membership for the year. Thrive does appear to be adding more items to their store almost daily. Browsing the website can be a little time consuming until, but fun.

Items I ordered and was happy with value and quality:
Macadamia Nuts, roasted and salted, Now Foods
Coffee Beans, the actual BulletProof coffee (for DH)
Sea Salt, Himalasalt (pink)
Simply Organic - assorted spices
Tahini
Coconut Cream unsweetened
Coconut Manna - Nutiva

Also good items for kids or family members not as low carb:
Food Should Taste Good, Sweet Potato Chips (just sweet potato, sunflower oil, sea salt)
SeaSnax, grab and go seaweed snack (95 cents)
Turkey Jerky, New Primal
New Primal Just Beef Grass Fed jerky

They have added more nuts and nut butters too.
I can see myself placing an order every 3 months or so and the savings will more than pay for the membership along with the fact that it looks like a business I would like to support.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 16:08

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieshops
I just received the rest of my order today and am very happy with everything. Well packed and cushioned in sturdy boxes. At this point, I am going to keep my membership for the year. Thrive does appear to be adding more items to their store almost daily. Browsing the website can be a little time consuming until, but fun.

Items I ordered and was happy with value and quality:
Macadamia Nuts, roasted and salted, Now Foods
Coffee Beans, the actual BulletProof coffee (for DH)
Sea Salt, Himalasalt (pink)
Simply Organic - assorted spices
Tahini
Coconut Cream unsweetened
Coconut Manna - Nutiva

Also good items for kids or family members not as low carb:
Food Should Taste Good, Sweet Potato Chips (just sweet potato, sunflower oil, sea salt)
SeaSnax, grab and go seaweed snack (95 cents)
Turkey Jerky, New Primal
New Primal Just Beef Grass Fed jerky

They have added more nuts and nut butters too.
I can see myself placing an order every 3 months or so and the savings will more than pay for the membership along with the fact that it looks like a business I would like to support.

And fun too!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 16:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I was excited about ordering the primal mayo mentioned on MDA. But didn't realize at first that you need to pay upfront for a membership and just not willing to do that now. It just seems you'd have to order a lot to make up the cost of the membership fee.

So far I order most things from iherb, they apply discounts for larger orders and the shipping is usually very fast. Good prices for nut flours, coconut milk, etc.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 16:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

What is the yearly fee?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 17:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
What is the yearly fee?

hi Arlene,

Verbena mentioned in her post above that the yearly membership fee is $60.

hth
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-11-15, 13:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia
I was excited about ordering the primal mayo mentioned on MDA.

MDA sells it himself. The Paleo Mayo is GREAT.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 15:45

Plan: LCHF & Paleo
Stats: 170/150/140 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Love the idea and the products at ThriveMarket. Too bad they don't ship to Canada though.