Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 05:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Map of Cause of Deaths by State

No idea which forum to put this story, but it is really interesting.
Check out this US Map by State, colored by the most "distinctive" cause of death.
How a cause becomes distinctive is in the story. The most stricking to me was heart disease and cancer are not listed that often, though one of the problems is the way certain states define or sub-classify those diseases. But North Carolina is "Other Nutritional Deficiencies". What is that?

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-in-each-state?

Quote:
There's no getting around the strangeness of a map that shows the most distinctive cause of death in each of our 50 states and the District of Columbia.

In Texas, it's tuberculosis. In Maine, it's the flu. And in Nevada, it's the ominous "legal intervention."

But what does it mean to label a cause of death distinctive?

I asked Francis Boscoe, a researcher with the New York State Cancer Registry, who came up with the analysis and the map published last Thursday by Preventing Chronic Disease, an online journal from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Since then, the map has gone, well, viral.

"To be honest, I was seeing these maps about a year ago," he tells Shots. One he points to is a state-by-state map of distinctive musical artists based on the online listening habits of people across the country. In other words, which artist was listened to far more often in one state than the others.

"I wondered what it would look like if you applied this to something more serious, like mortality data," he says. He took advantage of a standardized list of causes of death — 113 in all — that are used across the country and a national database of the underlying causes of death collected between 2001 to 2010.

Boscoe calculated the mortality rates for all 113 causes of death in each state and compared them with the rates for the same causes nationwide. On the map, each state and Washington, D.C., then got labeled with the local cause that was, essentially, the largest multiple of the corresponding national rate.

If you'd like to try it, here's the formula for standardized mortality rate that he used: (See Article for this formula and map)

The biggest of the outliers was Oklahoma, where the rather vague death cause "other acute ischemic heart diseases" was used 19.4 times more often than it was nationally.

Boscoe says the most distinctive death cause in about half the states, including Oklahoma, says more about how people there are classifying deaths than the actual health of people. There are "a few different flavors of heart disease," Boscoe says. "Oklahoma, for whatever reason, is putting them in the other, unspecified category. If you're interested in heart attacks vs. chronic heart disease, you're not going to get a good read on that there, whereas in most states you would."

Other top causes are clearly on the money, he says, such as tuberculosis in Texas and black lung disease, or pneumoconiosis, in the coal-mining states of West Virginia and Kentucky. Those causes are straightforward to diagnose and make sense in context.

The map has limitations. "Some states deserve to have more than one color," he says, because there are a couple of causes that rise above the rest. In Nevada, for instance, he says, atherosclerosis and legal intervention (which is a death in the context of a crime scene and could be either someone in law enforcement or a civilian) were both quite high.

In general, he says, the most distinctive cause of death in each state is at least double the corresponding national rate. He plans on looking at that doubling rule of thumb in more detail.

Boscoe says the map has already sparked conversations with public health officials in some states about how to improve the classification of deaths. And he's been deluged with calls from reporters interested in the prime causes where they work.

While he acknowledges a certain cartoonishness to the map, he says that he doesn't think the work was frivolous: "It obviously works better than sending out a 16-page report that no one would open."

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 06:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

This was most fascinating. And what on earth does it mean that my state's distinctive death is inflammatory disease of female pelvic organs? As always, I blame NYC.

Very thought provoking.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 03:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Your reaction is why this map has gone viral...half the country is saying "what the heck is that disease?" And why haven't I even read about it, much less known someone to die of it. North Carolina is way up there on the chart of obese states, and we are dying of nutritional deficiencies? One local station reported it, but did not expand on the story. Why is this happening? Only that the term is defined as “an inadequate supply of essential nutrients (as vitamins and minerals) in the diet resulting in malnutrition or disease.”

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, May-26-15 at 03:25.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 05:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

"says more about how people there are classifying deaths than the actual health of people"

and

"the map has already sparked conversations with public health officials in some states about how to improve the classification of deaths"

Seems like the only controversy is the classification process.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 08:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
North Carolina is way up there on the chart of obese states, and we are dying of nutritional deficiencies?

Actually, this makes perfect sense to me. We aren't short of calories, heaven knows. We are short of nutrients.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 09:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Most distinctive death isn't necessarily the most common cause of said condition. It was a weird chart.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-16, 20:37

Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I agree with Nancy- not sure what the data is really telling us
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-16, 21:55

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I am in in Texas and don't know of anyone who has died of TB??
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-16, 22:56

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Kind of creepy. I had pneumonia for the first time in my life last month. Still feeling the aftereffects.

Major cause of death in my state is "other and unspecified acute lower respiratory infections". Which would, in other words, be pneumonia, bronchitis, pleurisy, etc.

Creepy.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-16, 23:43

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

And how about that Zeka Virus that's being brought into the US?