Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 05:08
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 185/173/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default First Doctor who listens.

Well, I talked to the Doctor yesterday and he said it is pssible I might have candida. He actually sat down and talked to me for over 5 minutes. He said he could either go ahead and prescribe the medicine or test for yeast in my stool. I told him I wanted to try the medicine first because I know sometimes the stool test can be unreliable. He agreed and prescribed me a 30 day supply of diflucan.

He said he could prescribe nystatin if I wanted him to because it was cheaper. I went ahead and got the diflucan because it actually gets into your system when nystatin just stays in your bowels. I have to go back in 30 days so he can see how I'm doing.

I'll start the diflucan tonight and let everybody know how it works. I guess I'll know something if I start to feel like crap ( die-off ).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-10, 05:13
Registered Member

Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Justin!

Glad you found a doctor you can work with!!!!

You're right---the stool test can be unreliable because to some extent, everyone has yeast in their stool anyway.

Let us know if the diflucan works, although it may take a few days to see the effects.

Hang in there though!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-10, 17:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/171/170 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 95%

I think with the diflucan it is particularly important to also take a probiotic, it is effective at killing the candida but you want to have re-established healthy flora when you go off the diflucan.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 13:35
Registered Member

Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

My doc said the same thing as amazednow. He put me on a strong probiotic, and some also suggest a combination of prebiotics and probiotics, since apparently it takes a long time for the bacteria from the probiotic to actually make it into the gut. Quite a few don't make it, so the idea is a probiotic plus antifungal over a long period of time, apparently.

I found some prebiotics OTC and started using them too. They suggest having them before a meal (I guess the idea might be that the meal will push them through the gut so they can establish themselves a bit better?)

How is the difulcan working, Justin? Any news?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 19:02

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Hey, justin1984. Any updates?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 15:20
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been around too much but I've been a little burnt out on the computer. I had to take a little break. I've been doing a lot better but I still have some issues. Mainly just a little intestinal pain (constipation). On the bright side, my fatigue, headaches, and diarrhea seem to be completely gone. Knock on wood.

I figured since I probably got this candida killed off I need to repair my gut now. They say it can do a # on your digestive track. I went and purchased L-glutamine, Dgl, live probotics, and some kind of intestinal rejuvination mix drink. I started today on all this and what I do is mix it all together in a drink with water and I'm supposed to take it 4 times a day. I've been reading alot on L-glutamine and I've come across some pretty amazing stuff. Anybody else take this before? I also got some stuff for liver support.

I talked to a guy that works at the health food store I got this stuff from and he said he went through all this when he was 22. He's 28 now. He said it mainly just takes time. It took a year for him to get over it. He thinks alchohol and dairy caused his problems. He was real helpful at helping me pick my stuff out. They do colonics up there for $75 a pop. They said it wouldn't be a good idea for me to get one because I might have a leaky gut now. I guess I could have a blowout. They said to drink all this for a month and then come back to see em.

Overall, I feel like I'm definetly on the right path. Just not there. All of you know what I'm talking about because when you're better you just know it. Anyways, thanks for asking about me. See ya!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 15:57

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Hey,justin, glad to hear you're feeling better. I was taking diflucan/fluconazole for a while but had to stop due to stomach problems. Once, my stomach gets back to normal I plan on taking it again. I have a question though. While taking the diflucan, have you also been taking other antifungals, like GSE or coconut oil?

Last edited by Tom873 : Sat, Feb-20-10 at 21:20.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 22:00
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom873
Hey,justin, glad to hear you're feeling better. I was taking diflucan/fluconazole for a while but had to stop due to stomach problems. Once, my stomach gets back to normal I plan on taking it again. I have a question though. While taking the diflucan, have you also been taking other antifungals, like GSE or coconut oil?

I took candida cleanse by soloray and candigone by renew life I think. I've also ate raw garlic too wich was kinda hard to do. Sorry to here you had to stop taking the diflucan cause your stomach.

Are you taking something for your stomach? Maybe for the acid? I wouldn't take any ppis man, I've read alot of stuff about how it changes the cells in your stomach and how it can make gastritis much worse and take longer to heal.

I take that dgl, (starting today) and it's supposed to help the lining in my stomach and intestines by reducing acid. It's known as the lining tamer. I can't vouch for it yet but I do know it's all natural. If it helps, I will for sure, let you know.

Sounds like you need to get your stomach under control. I guess that is one of the side effects of the diflucan though. My stomachs' not all that great but I could tolerate the diflucan. Did you try to start at a low dose?