Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 21:59

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%
Default Helicobacter Pylori

Someone mentioned to me that candida-like symptoms can be caused by all sorts of organisms. Recently H. Pylori came up on this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...316#post7774316

I've been having constant gas since last September and I wondered if maybe H. Pylori is involved instead of, or in addition to, candida albicans.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience of H. Pylori? Wikipedia says every other person has it, but many are asymptomatic. It looks like the most common problem associated with it is ulcers; I've never had ulcers.

It sounds like it's extremely tough to get rid of.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 06:24

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

Hey capmikee. This forum seems to have died down quite a bit. You might try this group over on yahoo. It can get kind of technical but I have seen H. Pylori mentioned quite a few times over there. The guy in charge, Duncan Crow (not the moderator but everyone seems to ask him the questions), is really good about responding to questions about treatment for all kinds of gut things.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/candidiasis/
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 17:33

Plan: Atkins/Hhcg
Stats: 155/115/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 133%

capmikee

I know this thread is old, but have you found an answer to your gastro problems? I told my doctor at my last visit that my stomach was not doing well--probably from all the changes she wanted me to do for my adrenal fatigue I assumed, but she ordered blood work. In getting the report back, I was positive for one strain of h pyori, out of 3 they tested. She wants me to have an endoscopy done to find out the reason I feel nausea every day at the same time. I told her it was probably from being in ketosis as she overhauled my diet so much from what it was before, even though I did low carb. She has me on Betaine HCl Pepsin for my digestion (one with each meal) and chromium pic for my blood sugars and it seems to be doing much better. Just thought I would share with you what worked for me!! I believe it is just the Betaine, but I am taking so much supplements it could be a combo of everything she has me on!! I am also taking 1000mg of C with each meal. She did mention if it were hpylori that it would require prescriptive meds. Cause I asked her if I needed probiotics if it turned out to be hpylori. I do hope by now you are better.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 19:30

I'm trying a low-fructose elimination diet right now. I'm aiming for zero fructose, but it's been hard to give up a couple things. It's been two weeks; I've lost a little weight but the gas hasn't improved much. I'll try it for eight weeks and then try something else if it hasn't improved.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 13:48

Well, I did the low-fructose trial, and while it pretty much killed my desire to ever have onions again, I haven't seen much improvement in the way of gas (burping mostly).

TMI alert

I saw a gastroenterologist yesterday. She wants to test me for H. Pylori, so I'll probably get that done soon, though I haven't worked out the logistics of getting a stool sample into that tiny little container and delivering it to Quest.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

are you aware that higher vitamin d status helps fight H Pylori infection?

are you aware that higher magnesium intake helps fight H pylori infections.

Are you aware of the role of probiotics in fighting H Pylori?

High intake of selenium, beta-carotene, and vitamins A, C, and E reduces growth of Helicobacter pylori in the guinea pig.

The efficacy of Helicobacter pylori eradication regimen with and without vitamin C supplementation.To raise vitamin c in plasma levels and keep it raise you have to understand the half life of vit c is 30mins. So knowing this you need to use TIME RELEASE forumulations ONLY. Anything else is pouring money down the loo. You also need to plan one taking 500mg every 4hrs through the day with a double time release dose before going to bed.

The hypothesis that H pylori colonization might confer protection against various other infectious diseases has recently been of interest. In support of this concept, a recent study has shown that another chronic infection (latent herpesvirus) conferred resistance to infection with 2 bacterial pathogens in a mouse model.
Several studies have suggested that H pylori protects against diarrheal diseases, although this relation has not been consistently observed.
Mechanisms for protection might include production of antibacterial peptides by H pylori or the host, activating the immune system as an adjuvant, competition for niche, or hypergastrinemia leading to maintenance of gastric acidity throughout childhood.
Recent studies in West Africa, where tuberculosis is endemic, have indicated that H pylori–positive persons are less likely to reactivate latent tubercular infections.
By providing partial protection against infectious diseases common in childhood, there would be strong selection for the presence of H pylori.
If H pylori increased morbidity or mortality because of other infectious diseases, then there would have been a very powerful selection against its presence. As the incidence of childhood infectious diseases declines, so too would the positive selective pressure for maintenance of H pylori in human populations.
The introduction of clean water supplies, improved sanitation, and less crowding into human populations have resulted in a decreased incidence of lethal diarrheal diseases; these changes would be expected to result in reduced H pylori transmission and reduced selection for maintenance of H pylori.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Tue, Jun-30-09 at 14:30.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 08:06

Thanks for the resources, Hutchinson. I'm really not keen on taking multiple antibiotics. The GI doc recommended an Integrated Nutrition practitioner, so maybe he will be supportive of those options. I've never had my Vitamin D status checked.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 08:50

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Well, I did the low-fructose trial, and while it pretty much killed my desire to ever have onions again, I haven't seen much improvement in the way of gas (burping mostly).

TMI alert

I saw a gastroenterologist yesterday. She wants to test me for H. Pylori, so I'll probably get that done soon, though I haven't worked out the logistics of getting a stool sample into that tiny little container and delivering it to Quest.

Cap ask your provider to order a breath test instead of the stool testing...it is much more effective and with a breath test you get your answer in seconds..you take a tablet of urea then breath in a tube there is a reaction either you have it or not...

stool and blood are old school now that they have this test!

I know this subject very well as I have not only taken care of folks and advised them in this ...but had and ridded myself of this misery...mine was very serious I had a severe ulcer as a result but did fine with treatment and have never had a problem again

I opted for a combo of medication and "natural" remedies and avoided the acid blockers completely

good luck! and really the breath test is the best!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 09:27
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Thanks for the resources, Hutchinson. I'm really not keen on taking multiple antibiotics. The GI doc recommended an Integrated Nutrition practitioner, so maybe he will be supportive of those options. I've never had my Vitamin D status checked.
$40 by post results online in a few daysAim for a level between 50~60ng/mL. 125~150nmol/l.
Lots of other systems depend on getting D3 intake right, calcium and magnesium absorption for a start.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 00:38
Registered Member

Plan: Zone?
Stats: 175/150/145 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

My understanding is that 20% of people are infected with Pylori. Treatment is a 3-drug combo, which includes Metronidazole, or an antifungal also used for Rosacea and Gum disease.
Many people with Pylori in the gut, also have it in there mouth. (of course healthy people have over 600 different kinds of bacteria in there mouth).
Found a study which says Chloride and Flouride make Pylori worse, where as Iodide kills it.

Kind of thinking a NaCl / KI mixture might be a good idea for gut problems... Potassium balances Sodium (ie. Sodium-Potassium pump). Chloride and Iodide can both be used to Sanitize pools and water in general) (kills bacteria and fungus).

Potassium Iodate is a known remedy for Sporotrichosis(fungus), and candida.

Read a study on Providone vs. Chlorhexadine on catheters... seems to say chlorhexadine(Chlorine), kills somes candidas and not others, while Providone(Iodine) kills others.

Last edited by Danaus : Thu, Aug-06-09 at 00:44.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 08:15

All signs point to low stomach acid. I've heard that iodine can help correct that. But I haven't chosen a form I'm willing to take yet. My wife is allergic to shrimp and I avoid it out of solidarity. I eat plenty of carp roe and some anchovies, but I don't know if that's working.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-09, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: Zone?
Stats: 175/150/145 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Ran accross a Pylori article. Seems to like yogurt, Cranberry Juice, and buttermilk.

Prevention of Helicobacter pylori infection using food materials
http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/artic...105A0812329.php
Japan, the Japanese Society for Helicobacter pylori Guidelines recommends the concurrent use of lansoprazole plus amoxicillin and clarithromycin for 1 week. However, the adverse reaction and the appearance of antibiotic-resistant bacteria are common problems. Therefore, many researchers have recently proposed a novel nontoxic and cost-effective therapy using food materials. In this review, we introduce seven food materials of which anti-H. pylori effects have been demonstrated: anti-H. pylori (urease) antibody, fucoidan, cranberry juice, probiotics (yogurt), melanoidin, and polypeptides prepared from buttermilk and whey.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 14:28

Plan: No caffeine, no alcohol
Stats: 175/154/150 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 84%

Two things in my experience help in eliminating h pylori (and candida).

1) Quitting coffee. This allows gaba to function properly calming the intestinal tract, allowing it to inhibit pathogenic overgrowth.

2) Oil of Oregano. A potent antifungal/viral/bacterial:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90908103626.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...11011065609.htm

Last edited by tomsey : Fri, Oct-16-09 at 09:03.