Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 15:12

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 118/127/127 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%
Exclamation I NEED To Stop Smoking!

Smoking has ruined my singing voice and reduced my abdominal strength. These are 2 things I have worked very hard on. As for all the other associated health-risks, don't tell me, I know.
The trouble is: when I get really depressed, I want to smoke pot. It cheers me up like nothing else. When I can't get hold of it for whatever reason, I still want to suck on some sort of smoke and tobacco seems like the next best thing. My partner is also a ciggy smoker and uses them as an emotional crutch.
Before I became too depressed to go to work, it was almost as if I gained some kind of acceptance when I started smoking. Many of my co-workers had weight problems. "Look at D, she's so skinny, she lives in the gym, she has no kids, she won't eat chips or lollies, she is soooo plastic, like she's not even human!" I am not being paranoid in this instance, it was being said. Then I started smoking and it was like, "Geez, you aint so perfect after all!" Well, I never said I was!!!!!!
That's enough excuses as to why I smoke. I know I need to stop. I have sucessfully quit before (gone years without a smoke.) From writing this all down, I can see that my depression is the major issue here, smoking is a mere symptom. I am on medication. It helps, but only so much. What can I do? I feel so stuck!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 17:32

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 118/127/127 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

BTW, if there is anyone else on here who is dealing with depression AND wanting to quit smoking, I would really love to hear from you.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 18:16

Plan: Maintaining
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 7"
BF:I'm/at/GOAL!
Progress: 105%

Hey I quit almost 2 months ago, some days it is a struggle, but you can do it. Look on the bright side - once you get past the initial withdrawls your depression will improve. I think the nicotene promotes depression.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 20:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Delphoene, I think if you are still self-medicating for depression through the use of pot and nicotine even while taking antidepressants, maybe a discussion with your doctor may be in order? Perhaps you need a different dosage or even a different medication? Something else to consider is that since Nicotine has an anti-depressent effect of its own, you may need a higher dosage of your regular medication while you are trying to quit.
The hard part to get past when you are quitting, at least it was for me, was the whole idea that I was giving up something that I enjoyed. As long as I believed that I enjoyed smoking, it was impossible for me to give up even though I knew it would kill me eventually if I continued and I knew all about the health hazards and was even starting to experience some of them.
What did it for me was taking a long, hard look at that idea and realizing, when push came to shove, that I couldn't name one thing I enjoyed about the whole process of smoking except feeding the nicotine addiction.

Quote:
I think the nicotene promotes depression.

Actually, it seems to decrease depression but there are much less toxic methods to deal with depression than smoking.

http://www.psychiatrysource.com/New...&firstpage=true
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-08, 08:18

Plan: Maintaining
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 7"
BF:I'm/at/GOAL!
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N

Actually, it seems to decrease depression but there are much less toxic methods to deal with depression than smoking.

http://www.psychiatrysource.com/New...&firstpage=true

I'm sorry I probably should have typed that differently - I didn't mean it like the medical thinking. What I meant was I think smoking can cause you to feel more depressed, because you want to quit, and if you slip up and have one, than you feel like your a failure. Stopping smoking is hard, it might take more than one try. I'm sorry for the confusion. If you slip up, don't beat yourself up, just get back on track!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-08, 16:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Stopping smoking is hard, it might take more than one try.

Can't argue with you there. I think it was my 7th attempt that finally 'stuck' and I've been nicotine free for 2 1/2 years.