Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-06, 13:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/196.5/124 Female 63 3/4 in.
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default Old, tired and fat!

I'd really like to find a buddy who is also struggling with the Scwarzbein program. I do believe in it; it's just hard. I've tried many approaches to weight loss but finally realize that I must handle my health first.

I'm lucky because I have a nutritionist to guide me through this, but I'd like to find someone to commiserate with. I know that I also have hypothyroidism, which, according to my nutritionist, is the reason I am so tired. (I'm taking Armour thyroid.)

I read the Schwarzbein Program book recently and experienced a big change in viewpoint. I'm working very hard at eating the most healthfully I can, and I do okay up to a point. The book is very helpful in explaining why I feel so awful, but is there somebody else out there who would like to share these experiences? I'm a 64-year-old retired schoolteacher. I use alternative medicine pretty much exclusively, which is probably why I have never had cancer, heart disease, or anything else life-threatening. I'm just TIRED! (and fat.)

Do I sound desperate? Well, I could use a friend. I'll try not to be TOO whiny.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-06, 17:30

Plan: VLC
Stats: 198/150/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

According to her second book, taking Armor thyroid is probably not balancing your thyroid. She suggests getting your T3 and T4 checked and then take individual T3 and T4 depending on what you need. However, I have no advice about how to get your doctor to perform those tests if he doesn't want to or doesn't know the difference.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-06, 19:48

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Hi shastanan!

I also have hypothyroidism, but I take Synthroid. It takes a few weeks to kick in. When did you start your medication?

I also was on Schwarzbein for a while. I used it to ease myself onto a lower carb WOE. I never lost any weight on Sch. For me, I have to count the calories and the carbs. I felt great on it, but didn't lose any weight.

After a lot of trial and error, I feel best on <90 g of carbs a day, 85-105 g protein, and less than 1550 cal. I usually get pretty close to these numbers. I try to never go over.

Eating all whole foods (although I do have low-fat versions of cheeses and try to watch the saturated fats), low GI fruits and veggies, and adequate protein (it's easy to eat too much protein - I really weigh and measure my portions - 3-4 oz lunch and dinner) gives me lots of energy to exercise every day.

In fact, it was the Sch. book that prompted me to begin in earnest a weight - resistance exercise program. I owe my ongoing success to the weight exercises, as well as walking (my dog) 35 min 6 days a week.

I also would like to add that when I did really low carbs, even up to 70 g a day, I had no energy, felt 'out of it' with brain fog, and became depressed. So, keep an eye on your carbs. Too low may be no good for you, as well.

I hope you find a plan that makes you feel well and that you can live with.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-06, 12:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/196.5/124 Female 63 3/4 in.
BF:
Progress: 2%

Thank you both so much for your input. Fortunately I'm starting to feel a little better. Just took time, I guess.

Fujiwara, my doctor prefers Armour Thyroid because it is a totally natural substance. The difference between Armour and Synthroid is more or less like the difference between food and a drug. You are right though: Getting the T3 molecule into my cells is the big challenge. I've talked to my doctor about changing types of thyroid supplement and she is absolutely opposed to it. She makes a formula of herbs, etc. which I take to help my body accept the thyroid.

Lowcarbbarb, Your story is very encouraging to me. It sounds like you are really doing the right things for your body. And I especially admire that you measure your food. I did lots of that when I used to be in Weight Watchers (years ago.) Now I'm not so patient. Actually the diet I follow is the Plate of Seven, which my doctor put me on about 20 years ago. It is also called The Rainbow Diet, I think. Every now and then I see a version of it in some of the health books I read. It consists of 5 types of vegetables, animal protein, whole grain and moderate amounts of healthy fats. It gets a little boring, so I'm not perfect; but I definitely feel better when I stick pretty closely to that way of eating.

I haven't been feeling well enough to do much exercising yet, but I have an excellent video that includes weight resistance, aerobics, and stretching. I've used it a few times. There is no question that exercise is key to weight loss as well as improved health.

It is so true that you have to eat whole, natural foods. I've been going to our local farmers market (certified organic) to buy vegetables and we have a store not too far away that sells additive-free, free range beef.

Last night I made a big mistake and had pasta from Pasta Pronto. I won't do that again, at least not for a long time (until I forget, probably.) I had a lot of trouble sleeping, and now I am too tired for much of anything. Back to the organic vegetables, brown rice and clean meat!