Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 07:23

Plan: keto
Stats: 174/165/140 Female 5
BF:
Progress:
Question newbie hoping to find answers

Hi all. I started the ketogenic diet 2 weeks ago. I feel great both physically and mentally. This week however my strips are reading nude color--which to me indicates I have fallen out of ketosis. So confused on how this could happen when I am drinking so much water, eating minimal carbs and digesting tons of good fats. I am even fasting through the morning until about 1130ish when I eat a meat and veggie for lunch. My snacks are pickles, olives, pork skins, almonds or cheese stick. Occasionally when I know my evening is going to be rushed I have a keto friendly protein shake in lieu of dinner. I do drink coffee and usually add coconut oil to it..although at the beginning of this week I also included half/half. The only thing I changed this week was adding the half/half to the coffee and I started taking 2 vitamins from Zhou (magnesium and goat weed). Any thoughts on why it seems I am out of ketosis??? Not giving up just wanting clarity on what I am doing wrong.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 13:13

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome Lizzy.

I haven't used ketone strips myself, but my understanding of how they work (from The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living) is that they only measure one type of ketone, acetoacetate. As I recall, acetoacetate is particularly elevated during the body's transition process into ketosis, but once you're there, most of the ketones you're producing are in the form of betahydroxybutyrate.

So it could actually be a good sign that the strips have faded a bit, because you might have actually settled into full-on ketosis at this point. Others will probably know more than me, though.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 19:02

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

The keto sticks are of limited use. I liked seeing the purple for confirmation and yet over time, the body adapts, and the sticks dont change at all for me.

Keeping yourcarbs down to 20-30 is your best bet. The scale of course, and your clothes. Maybe find an outfit that fits snug, and over time judge the fit.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 23:31

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

#5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 04:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Lizzy,
Another answer why you should not worry about ketosis, especially not the color of a pee stick http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/0...ng-ketones.html
Too much water can reduce concentration of ketones in urine. Drink water to thirst, no need to force extra. Keep your total carbs 20-30g for the day (be sure the Keto Shake is low in Total carbs, not net) and focus on how you feel. You don’t have much weight to lose, you will see progress in body shape, skin, etc.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 07:27

Plan: keto
Stats: 174/165/140 Female 5
BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. Truly appreciate it.