Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-16, 21:16

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 245/190.1/185 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 92%
Question Blood tests?

Hi everyone. I'm 41 and about 6'0''. I have lost *most* of my weight on a traditional ketogenic diet with IF. After i loose my weight i'm going to transition to Carb Nite and see how it works out for me. I'm right at about 190 pounds. My goal weight is 185. My starting weight was ~245. I started in early march of this year. I'm going to my PCP in about a month and want to research what blood tests to ask him form. I think i'm already going to ask him for a testosterone, HS-CRP, A1c, Vitamin D,Lp2A, Fasting Glucose test & the following thyroid tests:

TSH

Free T4

Free T3

Reverse T3

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies

Thyroglobulin Antibodies

First question is do you see i'm missing any test that i should get done? Second am i getting to much done? I don't want my PCP to freak out when i ask him for the slew of blood tests i'm going to be asking for. If you list some tests you think i need please for each one say whey they are generally covered by insurance or not. I think from above that Reverse T3 is not covered and i'll have to pay for that. I just don't want a $1000+ bill after i get out of the doctor . Depending on my results, of course, i plan to get some of these tests yearly. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-16, 03:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi and welcome.

First off, you might want to fix your stats. Right now, they say 240/240/190, which means you haven't lost a pound yet. They should say 245/190/185. That might confuse people.

As for blood tests, is there any reason why you're concerned about your thyroid? If you're having symptoms, bring them up with the doc and s/he can investigate other causes, as well.

How about a lipid profile for the heck of it? It's fun to have record-breaking HDL and practically non-existent triglycerides and just keep it to yourself that you eat 70-80% fat. Tell the doc you just "don't eat sugars or processed foods" (which is not a lie.)

I would suggest not messing with Carb Nite until after you get your baseline tests done. Then you can see if anything changes afterward.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-16, 04:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Are you in the US? On private insurance or some version of Medicare? What tests are covered for a regular "check-up" are pretty limited. However if the doctor has a reasonable concern to order them, then other extra tests might be covered. Without any symptoms, could see him refusing to order thyroid.
Depends on your PCP's practice guidelines, and the insurance you have.
That said, I have been happy buying my own tests from a direct to consumer lab. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467301
I'd suggest a fasting insulin with the fasting glucose, but most doctors have no idea how to read that. It's cheap to buy myself.
Dr Richard Mauer of The Blood Code even has his recommended group of tests at one DTC lab. http://www.saveonlabs.com/category-s/1899.htm

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Aug-08-16 at 05:05.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-16, 08:41

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

D3 status, read about it here and other places.

http://www.vitamindsociety.org/

Whoops, I see you have it on your list now.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-16, 18:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi and welcome.

First off, you might want to fix your stats. Right now, they say 240/240/190, which means you haven't lost a pound yet. They should say 245/190/185. That might confuse people.

As for blood tests, is there any reason why you're concerned about your thyroid? If you're having symptoms, bring them up with the doc and s/he can investigate other causes, as well.

How about a lipid profile for the heck of it? It's fun to have record-breaking HDL and practically non-existent triglycerides and just keep it to yourself that you eat 70-80% fat. Tell the doc you just "don't eat sugars or processed foods" (which is not a lie.)

I would suggest not messing with Carb Nite until after you get your baseline tests done. Then you can see if anything changes afterward.

I think i fixed it . No reason to be concerned with my thyroid other than i'm just trying to get a full workup to make sure everything is humming along smoothly. Not a bad idea at all to get a lipid panel. Ya i'll probably get all my tests before i start carb nite and then get one 6 months later to see how its working out for me.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-16, 18:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Are you in the US? On private insurance or some version of Medicare? What tests are covered for a regular "check-up" are pretty limited. However if the doctor has a reasonable concern to order them, then other extra tests might be covered. Without any symptoms, could see him refusing to order thyroid.
Depends on your PCP's practice guidelines, and the insurance you have.
That said, I have been happy buying my own tests from a direct to consumer lab. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467301
I'd suggest a fasting insulin with the fasting glucose, but most doctors have no idea how to read that. It's cheap to buy myself.
Dr Richard Mauer of The Blood Code even has his recommended group of tests at one DTC lab. http://www.saveonlabs.com/category-s/1899.htm

Yep in the US. I'm on the health insurance plan with my employer. I'm definitely going to tell my doctor i want to results and don't want them to just call me and let me know if he see anything wrong. Not to may physicians versed in the needs of low carbers these days.