Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 09:20

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 242/231/217 Male 6ft 3 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Low Carb Alcoholic Beverages

Hey, now summer is looming closer and we hopefully get some decent weather so we can sit out in the garden and enjoy a few beverages, I was wondering what peoples choice of drink would be so that they can maintain their low carb intake but still get a bit merry? Obviously there are a lot of bad options out there so I'm looking for something I can enjoy without feeling terribly guilty afterwards. By the time summer is in full swing, I should have reached my goal weight so its important I stay there. Been thinking about trying to find some low carb recipes and attempt making my own fruit based alcoholic beverages in preparation. Maybe find a cheap cider press for sale and try making some low carb fruity ciders, cocktails, punches etc. Either way, some cool tips and suggestions would be good, thanks.

Last edited by gottahav1 : Thu, May-05-16 at 08:42.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 09:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I can only speak for myself. But alcohol in any form tends to lessen my ability to say no to carby junk. So, I just don't.

My best "get merry" advice is to have it come from inside, not a mood depressant, like alcohol. But in the course of doing that, I have found that a wonderful nearly zero carb substitute is a mojito made with just sparkling water, plenty of mint leaves, sugar free brown "sugar" and limes. For extra deliciousness, and another gram of carb, add one or two raspberries before muddling.

(We are seriously into mojitos at my house. I grow mint every summer, and have a good quality muddler to mash the wonderful juices from the mint and the limes.)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 12:16

Stats: 200/143/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Gottahav1- I am like you. LOVVVVVE a good cocktail on the patio, but yeah... carbs...I mean seriously the carb count in a standard margarita is enough to make one cry! I have a book called 1001 Low Carb recipes by Dana Carpender. She has a whole cocktail section for when you want to live the cocktail lifestyle but not sabotage your plan. Everything I have made of hers is really good. I recommend you take a look at her book. She has tons of boozy coffee drinks and has a low carb answer for most of your favorite cocktails. She gives nutritional info for each as well so you can see what works for you in your plan. Good luck!

Last edited by glimmergai : Wed, May-04-16 at 12:17. Reason: typo- missed plural
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 15:30

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

My drink of choice is Dry Vermouth on ice with a wedge of lemon.
It's carb count is only .2 gr per ounce so you can have a decent sized glassful and still be under a gram. I actually like the Bianco vermouth (Martini & Rossi) better, and the only info I can find (including from M&R) is that it is also only 0.2 carbs, but it is quite a bit sweeter, so I just don't belive that. Sometimes I mix the two to get a mid level sweetness. It is extremely refreshing!
Alcohol doesn't set me back, but I only have a white wine or vermouth maybe once a week.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 20:39

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

I love a good mojito! I will give that a try
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 23:43

BF:
Progress:

Thanks guys, that's the kind of inspiration I was looking for. I'll check out the suggestions.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 01:09

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

Vodka soda. My favorite is Skyy Blood Orange vodka with club soda and a lime wedge.

In colder weather, you'll find me sipping bourbon when out for drinks with friends.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 07:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

when out:
dry white wine like pinot gris, chardonnay, sauvignon blanc.....just a few carbs per glass. worth the splurge to me. I also like dry sparkling wine like prosseco or cava.

vodka with club soda- just make sure they give you soda, NOT tonic which is basically as sugary as a pepsi.

I avoid rum and diets, because with bacardi in my soda, i can't tell if it is diet or not (tastes same to me) and i have had numerous occasions where i was served regular and was very sick from it (I'm type I diabetic).
Also, stay away from any bar that advertises a "skinny margarita"-- i have tried these 3 different places and always ended up with high blood sugar. i think they might be using agave nectar.....

at home:
i have used variations of this white sangria- zinfandel? ew! i use dry reisling.
you can also play around with skipping rasberry tea and using torani raspberry syrup and club soda to make it "sparkle."
for the fruit- play with any mix of raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, lemon and lime. blackberries and lime, and strawberry/blueberry/lemon are my favorites:
https://www.atkins.com/recipes/white-wine-sangria/1417

here is a company that makes all kinds of sf mixers. i ordered them once. liked them. but found i can make stuff at home, just as easily:
http://www.bajabob.com/orsugfremarm.html

you can make daiquiri type by putting vodka/clear rum, ice and crystal lite packets in the blender- might need a little water, depending on your blender/preferred strength. crystal even makes a mojito flavor now, as well as a few other cocktail inspired varieties. personally, i like vodka with crystal light lemonaide the best.

ocean spray makes a ton of diet (NOT LIGHT) "juices that have 2 carbs er cup- perfect with vodka. beware the light line has 10 carbs.

here is another fun margarita recipe, with 2 carbs per drink:
http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/to-...argarita-recipe

this is a handy overview:
http://www.hungry-girl.com/newslett...-survival-guide

and here are some great recipes- some aren't suitable for a truly low carb diet, but some are!
http://www.hungry-girl.com/newslett...cktail-round-up

ahem, can you tell i started my low carb journey senior year of college
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 08:43

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
when out:
dry white wine like pinot gris, chardonnay, sauvignon blanc.....just a few carbs per glass. worth the splurge to me. I also like dry sparkling wine like prosseco or cava.

vodka with club soda- just make sure they give you soda, NOT tonic which is basically as sugary as a pepsi.

I avoid rum and diets, because with bacardi in my soda, i can't tell if it is diet or not (tastes same to me) and i have had numerous occasions where i was served regular and was very sick from it (I'm type I diabetic).
Also, stay away from any bar that advertises a "skinny margarita"-- i have tried these 3 different places and always ended up with high blood sugar. i think they might be using agave nectar.....

at home:
i have used variations of this white sangria- zinfandel? ew! i use dry reisling.
you can also play around with skipping rasberry tea and using torani raspberry syrup and club soda to make it "sparkle."
for the fruit- play with any mix of raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, lemon and lime. blackberries and lime, and strawberry/blueberry/lemon are my favorites:
https://www.atkins.com/recipes/white-wine-sangria/1417

here is a company that makes all kinds of sf mixers. i ordered them once. liked them. but found i can make stuff at home, just as easily:
http://www.bajabob.com/orsugfremarm.html

you can make daiquiri type by putting vodka/clear rum, ice and crystal lite packets in the blender- might need a little water, depending on your blender/preferred strength. crystal even makes a mojito flavor now, as well as a few other cocktail inspired varieties. personally, i like vodka with crystal light lemonaide the best.

ocean spray makes a ton of diet (NOT LIGHT) "juices that have 2 carbs er cup- perfect with vodka. beware the light line has 10 carbs.

here is another fun margarita recipe, with 2 carbs per drink:
http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/to-...argarita-recipe

this is a handy overview:
http://www.hungry-girl.com/newslett...-survival-guide

and here are some great recipes- some aren't suitable for a truly low carb diet, but some are!
http://www.hungry-girl.com/newslett...cktail-round-up

ahem, can you tell i started my low carb journey senior year of college

Wow! Lots to get stuck into there, thanks for all the recipes.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-07-16, 13:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I stick with zero carb spirits: vodka, gin, rum, whiskey, tequila. If they're flavoured, read the label carefully for sugar. Here in Canada, the only flavoured vodka I've found that has no sugar is Absolut. Not sure how they are in the US. Skip all that marshmellow, cookies n' cream, etc vodka. Bad news.

LC beer: Michelob Ultra, Labatt Sterling, etc. Keep in mind that you're not doing yourself any favours by consuming gluten. Whiskey, though made from gluten grains, should be gluten-free because protein shouldn't make it up the still. (Though that's a big 'should', not a guarantee.)

Alcohol is a CNS depressant, not a mood depressant, which is why it's illegal to drink and drive, and it's served at celebrations. Pretty sure every party ever would be ruined if it made everybody sad.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-07-16, 14:13

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Here in Canada, the only flavoured vodka I've found that has no sugar is Absolut.

Skyy Infusions have no sugar. The first time I tried one of them was in Whistler, B.C.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-07-16, 15:45

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Jack Daniels straight or with Diet Coke: 0.0 carbs
Michelob Ultra: 2.6 carbs
Guinness: 9.9 carbs
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-07-16, 16:34

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Thanks for catching that, Kristine, about the CNS depressant.

One of the PIA things about the TBI is that my brain will take a detour when I'm talking, and I don't even notice it.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-09-16, 04:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I personally stick with dry white wine, but there are low carb, sugar-free mixers, BajaBob a long-standing brand. Hysterical to me, a few of their flavors are sold in our local GNC. Health food, 'ya know.
There use to be a brand that was powdered in a pouch, convenient to take on a cruise. Not sure what other brands still on market.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 19:13
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

I second the crystal lite: tequila, ice, double amount of lemon lime CL
Whiskey & diet coke
I'm going to try the mojito :-)