Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 11:32

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

Raw nuts should be toasted. You can put them in a pan without any oil or anything in it, and just toast them a bit. This is because raw nuts and seeds are harbingers of an (invisible to the eye) coating of surface mold
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 11:40

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I actually have some pumpkin seeds in my toaster oven as I write this.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 14:05
Registered Member

Stats: 127/127/127 Male 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom873
Also, how do you feel about raw walnuts and raw pumpkin seeds? I've been told to stay away from them due to mold being able to grow on them but would like to eat them again for health purposes. Thanks again.

Edit: I also read that green apples are beneficial in the fight against candida. Should I start eating a green apple a day or is it to soon?

Personally, I eat pumpkin seeds quite a bit, and I eat an apple almost everyday for breakfast (I include it in my muesli or oats along with cinnamon). I don't eat green apples though, only red apples. For me, these foods haven't given me any trouble at all. In fact they keep me quite "regular" if you know what I mean.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 14:28
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

HI guys!

Welcome back, KT12! Nice to see you! It's my turn to go away on hols at the weekend over Christmas, so I'll have to read everyone's ideas when I get back too, just before new year!

I'm with honeypie on the roasting seeds thing. It's also that they can have bacteria on them (I'm not sure that heating will get rid of molds so much as bacteria, since I think I heard that molds keep their structure at high temperatures and don't act like bacteria, unless I misunderstood that, but that is why the veggie washes are used to get them off raw veg and salad before eating, since they do respond to chemical or herbal antifungals. That's just my understanding though).

The roasting the nuts thing is partly because of bacteria, though, which can also exacerbate candida, so it's good to roast them before eating.

Pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, sesame seeds, almonds and pecans are all in my book as ok during the treatment phase of a candida diet, but again it's just one book, so don't take it as gospel since other books may include other things.

Tom, don't worry too much about having to avoid cinnamon and other things you're intolerant to at the moment. This may well turn out to be a temporary thing until the candida is under control and you can expand your diet without intolerances. I also have a long list of food intolerances due to the candida and so just use substitutes without thinking too much about the downside of having to avoid it.

IF you make a list of all the things you are allowed to eat, you'll feel a bit better about it since it won't look so much like an exclusion. Plus, you may see other new food combinations you haven't tried before which may help you feel a little better about it.

For example, I just made a holiday sweet potato pie that is low carb and which I like as much as the "original" high carb version of pumpkin pie, so it is possible to adapt and adjust recipes so that they are still a treat for you, although I can't pretend that this is an easy diet for everyone to follow all the time.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 16:18

BF:

Oh,... your post just reminded me annajen... apropos of the nuts and seeds again; because of exactly what you described, it's actually recommended to thoroughly wash and toast all nuts and seeds before eating.

I have to admit; I never bother with the washing. But my mother does - and she's never had candida ever. She just does it for general health and hygiene.

I meant to pm you back Annajen.... my apologoies!!! Life really gets in the way, sometimes!!!

The one niggling thing that I have at the back of my mind all the time whenever I read these types of threads (which continues to bother me, I mean) is that to be be perfectly honest.... I don't think I've ever had any die-off symptoms.

I wonder if it's because I am not consistent enough in taking my anti-fungals and probiotics? I do take the strongest ones I can find of each (ie probiotics w/ a minimum of 50 billion live organisms per capsule, etc), cinnamon capsules, and biotin/pau d'arco capsules ,... and also separate enzyme blends (protease, lipase, serrapeptase, hemicellulase, amylase, etc etc.)

Part of me thinks, with low carbing and with having rotated all of these pills for a year... maybe they're helping something... even if I don't take them all every single day?

hmmmmmmmm......

what a nightmare this thing can be
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 22:39

BF:
Progress:

When you say to wash the nuts and seeds would just running them under water be enough?
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Dec-16-09, 10:44

BF:

I think better than nothing, right? we usually use a combination of a sieve ..... and hands
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 20:08

BF:
Progress:

This may be a stupid question but can you steam nuts/seeds? I've been roasting pumpkin seeds in extra virgin coconut oil and, while delicious, sometimes I would like a quick snack. Or maybe it would be beneficial to steam them before I roast them, as opposed to just running them under water?

Last edited by Tom873 : Fri, Dec-18-09 at 14:05.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Dec-17-09, 23:52

BF:

Well ... I wouldn't imagine that you should steam them INSTEAD of washing. The rinsing will rinse some bacteria and contaminents off... whereas I can't imagine that steaming would just make anything you'd want to get rid of just evaporate, kwim?

Also... you don't need to use the oil for roasting if you don't want to. Do you have a heavy bottomed pan? Like an enamel or cast iron one? You could throw the seeds in that for a couple of minutes w/o the oil. It works very well and is much less messy.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 09:22

BF:
Progress:

Edit: Post deleted

Last edited by Tom873 : Tue, Jan-19-10 at 09:46.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 06:10
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

I usually just put them on a normal baking tray with a little sea salt and mix them up a bit. Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, pecans, and some almonds. I toast them for awhile and then stir them around a bit mid-toasting.

I was told to avoid walnuts, though, due to the high mould content and also cashews.

For a different taste you could sprinkle a few herbs on them when they come out, like dried thyme or basil or rosemary or sage. Just a thought.