Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 19:40
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 231/225/170
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question Atkin's Cookbook??

I've been using the SP cookbook. Is the Atkin's cookbook good to use? Has anyone had problems with those recipes?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 21:20

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi! I use the Atkins Quick and Easy cookbook for a few recipes...I've also downloaded loads from this site and others to round out my collection. There's no reason not to use them...just add in the extra carbs at the level you're allowed. You'll want to avoid the pork rind coatings etc. if you avoid the deep fried foods as specified in SP.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 21:24
Registered Member

BF:

Lisaf,

Thanks for the tips. I'll be more willing to try their recipes, now.
How long have you been following the SP WOE?

Carrot
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 21:37

BF:

Let's see -- I first "did" the program right after her book came out (fall '99) - lost 30 lbs. Regained and did my second round was August-November, 2000 - lost 25 pounds and then regained plus 5. This time, I started in June 2001 and haven't really stopped.

I do a modified SP in the sense that I don't strictly intake carbs as she outlines. I eat between 50 and 70 g a day (including carbs from veggies and other SP-friendly foods) ... tend to avoid rice, potatoes, oats etc. which makes my diet more Atkins-like without the Induction phase.

I have a pretty detailed journal in the Bootcamp/Journal section. Lately I am eating 6 meals a day as part of the Body for Life program. I also don't worry so much about avoiding nitrites etc and will eat some processed meats (including bacon, salami, etc.). I also eat any cheeses that strike my fancy.

I think the best thing about any of these plans is how great you feel all the time...and tons of energy!

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 07:11
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

Lisa,

I am still a little confused by other plans subtracting fiber grams from total carbs. I don't do this. Do you?

Your story gives me encouragement. I have been following the SP since March 1. Lost some weight first week, but have not budged in awhile. My cholesterol and blood sugar readings dropped substantially, so I am seeing good results in other important areas.

I noticed you are from Ontario. I've never seen a part of Canada I didn't like. Beautiful Country!

Florida is too hot right now. Be glad to send you some of it if I could

Carrot
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 08:45

BF:

I'd love some Florida! I was in Palm Beach in February and it was so wonderful to just walk out in shorts! Its snowing here today so your offer is very tempting!

As for your fibre question: other plans are more carb restrictive and will count the carbs in non-starchy vegetables towards the daily allowance. SP, on the other hand, only counts the carbs in starchy foods. Because almost all veggies have a degree of fibre, other plans have suggested that you can subtract the fibre from the carb count, meaning someone on Atkins, for example, may eat 20g of carbs a day, not including fibre...means they can eat more. Because SP doesn't do this, but the carb focus is on high-fibre foods anyway, you end up with a lot more carbs at the end of the day. Depends on your preference. The reason fibre can be subtracted is that it is not digestible, and passes straight through your system, not causing insulin rise.

I think if you are happy with the plan, and it is working for you, then stick with it. If not, then consider buying some of the other books, reading up and making up your own version.

Keep it up - you're doing great!!! Feeling good is more important than the scale. Consider measuring yourself all over...you can lose inches and not lose a pound! Use the pants-o-meter to decide if your body is changing.

Lisa