Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 09:53

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 145/145/125 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:
Default The Program - Too Much Carbs?

Hi, I am new to the Schwarzbein Principle and new to this forum.

I just read the latest book and was surprised to see Dr. S. recommends quite a lot of carb's each day. Is that a change from her earlier books? I've read back on threads from this forums and looked at people's journal entries and I get a different picture - less carbs.

Weight loss aside, I actually feel better when I eat less carb's. It seems like I feel hungrier when I eat more carb's, and my digestion isn't as good. Maybe I am eating the wrong carb's, although I am being careful to eat non-refined, rotate types of carb's, limit gluten, etc.

I would love feedback/insight/etc.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 14:17

Plan: Any low-carb
Stats: 280/270/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 11%

do atkins it has less carbs
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 13:13

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

I am reading the first book, its called "The Schwarzbein Principle" and she has a chart that lists 15- 75 carbs per meal. The amount of carbs you eat depends on your lifestyle, you have to be extremely active to eat 75 carbs per meal.

I fall in the 30 carbs per meal range and I have been eating that since January 2007 with the Insulin Resistance Diet, the only principle I didn't follow of theirs is the "lowfat" principle and it hasn't hurt me, little did I know that I was doing the "Schwarzbein Principle" eating this way, choosing whole foods and balancing my meals. I love eating this way! I love that food obsession is gone and I am choosing whole foods that nourish my body and my metabolism.

I am finally free
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 06:13

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your feedback, Jill. I wonder why Dr. S. changed the carb. recommendation so much from Book 1 to the latest book. Anyway, I appreciate your perspective.

Sara
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 15:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheart
Thanks for your feedback, Jill. I wonder why Dr. S. changed the carb. recommendation so much from Book 1 to the latest book. Anyway, I appreciate your perspective.

Sara

What does she reccomend now?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 07:14

BF:
Progress:

I think it is more like 150 grams of carb a day - maybe even more.

I went to a nutritionist a few days ago and came up with a good plan - very healthy - some carbs, but low glycemic. I am happy with the plan. Based on my experience, it will work for me to feel good. I hope I lose weight, but if not, at least I will be healthy and energetic.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 11:09

Plan: Schwarzbein/Bernstein
Stats: 355/240/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have Type 2 diabetes and started out on Schwarzbein after deciding to go low carb. Her recommendations for diabetics is 15 g per meal of "real carbs" (beyond non starchy veggies). Using my glucose meter, I found that carbs such as grains, potatoes, & high sugar fruits raised my blood sugar. I later found that if I cut out starches all together, my blood sugar is even better. Now I pretty much get my carbs from non-starchy vegetables, nuts & seeds, and a few low sugar fruits.

Bottom line, the idea of protein, fat, & non-starchy vegetables, with some nuts, seeds, and low sugar fruit, works for me, but most other carbs are pretty much off limits or eaten only occasionally. I'm doing better on a lower level of carbs than Dr. S recommends.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 11:27
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I have no idea why she increased her carbs in every book. I have them all and have read them all and have tried plans from each of her books. She also seems to bad-mouth LC plans more and more in each book.

I have taken some advice from her last book and applied it to my life (more sleep, more downtime, less exercise). But the thing I had the hardest time from the last book was the statement that even if you feel better on lower carb you should eat the amount she recommends. I just don't get that. Why in the the world would I want to eat in such a way that makes me feel worse?

I ended up back on Atkins. Lost the weight, feeling great. I was able to quiet the "noise" without eating carbs.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 06:20

BF:

I eat about 120 grams a day eating 30 carbs per meal 3 meals and a snack. The way I eat fits right in with the first book. If I added another snack it could easily send me to 150 grams.

What I got from the book was "balance" that my eating should be whole foods and balanced. That's what the IR Diet is all about, so it was a pleasant surprise to read about balance in another book.

She states that an unbalance isn't good either way, too much insulin or too little. That's why she says not to go extremely LC, b/c insulin is needed to make repairs eventually your body will get run down, tired, depressed, etc... It makes sense to me that if balance is the key- going off one way or the other can send my body out of whack.

Sara- what did the nutritonist put you on?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 07:35

BF:
Progress:

The nutritionist worked with me on my experience about what sustains me, what causes cravings, what is satisfying to me and helps me not feel deprived. Then she suggested a few tweaks to lower my saturated fat, lower my calories a little bit, and increase my carb's a little bit. Here is a typical day's food:

Breakfast:
4 oz 1% cottage cheese
1 cup berries
AM Snack:
8 nut thin or rice crackers
1 hardboiled egg
Lunch:
salad
1 tbs dressing
3 oz chicken
small apple
2 tbs peanut butter
Aft. Snack:
8 nut thin or rice crackers
1 oz reduced fat cheese
Dinner:
veg
protein (tofu, turkey, chicken, fish)
1 oz reduced fat cheese
carb (e.g. corn tortilla, small sweet or white potato, 1/3 cup grains) (sometimes I put this with my PM snack – then I have ¼ cup Kashi “grapenuts”)
1 tbs fat
PM Snack:
4 tbs half and half or 2 tbs cream
1 cup berries

So far I am feeling good on this plan. I don't know if I will lose weight. I hope so, but if I feel good that may have to be enough.

I really enjoy reading your posts!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-07, 09:59

Plan: Like to start Scwarzbien
Stats: 298/290/119 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi I am new to this site and having a hard time navigating it. I am HappyHeart. At first I didn't see any new posts, but somehow I stumbled onto this place. Hope I can find my way back.
It appeared that there weren't any new posts after about 2002, and only 1 from Lanny wondering where everyone was. I was thinking the same thing since I have just finished Dr. S's books and would like to go on this as it looks much healthier.
From what I remember is that at to the carbohydrate she said 15 grams to start out with especially if probably insulin-resistent and burned out adrenals. Is that still correct?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-07, 10:53

Plan: Like to start Scwarzbien
Stats: 298/290/119 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Yea! Found my way back. Have a question. I am Type 2, and my blood sugars are still a little above 100--(115 to 180) fasting, should I be careful how much carb I add in? Dr. s suggests 15 to start, but even at no carbs, I'm still above 100. Been eating good low carb veggies more than I did, that is what lead me to reread her book, rereading her book made me think perhaps this is what I should try to do, both for myself and my son. Hope somebody reads this in the next few days!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-07, 16:00

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I lost over 50 pounds a few years ago on her plan, 15 grams per meal and 7.5 per snack, 2 snacks allowed. I had 60 grams of carbs per day and felt fantastic. I've been following a more paleo lately but my energy is getting bad so I am going back to the 60 grams per day starting tomorrow (had to eat out all day today) and can't wait to feel great again!

I read and have her first book, read thru her second book quickly and then a kid spilled a drink on it and ruined it and I can't remember what all it said about amounts. Haven't read any of her newer books.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-07, 07:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4boys
I am reading the first book, its called "The Schwarzbein Principle" and she has a chart that lists 15- 75 carbs per meal. The amount of carbs you eat depends on your lifestyle, you have to be extremely active to eat 75 carbs per meal.

I fall in the 30 carbs per meal range and I have been eating that since January 2007 with the Insulin Resistance Diet, the only principle I didn't follow of theirs is the "lowfat" principle and it hasn't hurt me, little did I know that I was doing the "Schwarzbein Principle" eating this way, choosing whole foods and balancing my meals. I love eating this way! I love that food obsession is gone and I am choosing whole foods that nourish my body and my metabolism.

I am finally free

This is very encouraging to me, thank you for posting. I love Atkins but I can't lose on it for some reason, and I'm hoping Dr. Schwarzbein's theories are the key to my problem. I'm finding the transition to be very unsettling, so your post reassured me. You posted a few months ago - are you still basically eating this way?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-07, 07:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1231
I lost over 50 pounds a few years ago on her plan, 15 grams per meal and 7.5 per snack, 2 snacks allowed. I had 60 grams of carbs per day and felt fantastic. I've been following a more paleo lately but my energy is getting bad so I am going back to the 60 grams per day starting tomorrow (had to eat out all day today) and can't wait to feel great again!

How did it go? Did you stay with it?
Best wishes to you.