Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 10:31
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi xxx, where are you in NE PA? My parents are in Bethlehem and family has a summerplace at Lake Wallenpaupack...

Liz
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 11:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/194.5/140 Female 5' 9
BF:too high i am sure
Progress: 50%

i have the opposite problem =) my hands and feet are always hot when i am in ketosis, i can always tell i am by how hot my hands are lol
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-15, 11:41

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 200/165/165 Male 184cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Cold extremities

Hi all,

I too have the same problem with cold extremities (even when it is pretty warm) and have recently found a possible explanation. Firstly, calorie intake may be an important factor. If you go too low the body will do what it can to try and conserve energy leading to a reduced level of metabolism and lower core temperature. This is a bad thing as it will also lead to a reduced level of fat burning and general feeling of sluggishness. Following a blood test today after being pretty strict on the low carb model I decided to intentionally binge on carbs and chowed down on 1500 calories worth of flapjacks! A bad food choice I know but seeing as everything else had been followed pretty strictly I though I might test the water. The result was that I felt somewhat warmer. Now for a better explanation of what may be happening:

I have an idea that the problem may be due to thyroid hormones and as cold extremities are a common issue with thyroid problems was looking into this. I found some interesting stuff on the idea that it may not be the thyroid not working properly but more so down to the conversion of the T4 hormone not being converted into active T3. From what I have found, low carb seems to lead to a pretty significant drop in conversion to T3 (the more powerful hormone which accounts for only around 20% of that released by the thyroid). The conversion to T3 happens in the body as opposed to the thyroid but on low carb, more reverse T3 is formed which can block receptor sites for active T3. Reverse T3 is pretty useless as it is inactive yet essential to energy use in the body. This becomes a double whammy when there is also less T3 around (coupled with less receptor sites thanks to the inactive form blocking them!). I have only recently found this potential link and need to look deeper into the problem.

I'm considering low carb followed by a regular high carb re-feed day. Low carb causes the glycogen in muscle tissue to drain to around half of its normal amount and pumping some in perhaps once a week may alleviate the symptoms and facilitate a better body temperature while still keeping insulin levels and fat burning hormones in place for the majority of the time. There are many other issues that can cause such symptoms but for me I think this offers the best solution. I have also tried (currently only a few days in) supplementing with L-arginine and L-citrullene as the combination seems to have a powerful role in the release of nitrous oxide in the endothelial wall lining (an important signalling molecule). The research around this is pretty compelling. It works as a vasculodilator and can significantly lower blood pressure while aiding blood flow (I have seen some impressive results for those with Raynaud's syndrome). It also seems to be pretty protective of the heart and some claims are that it can cause a breakdown of arterial plaque formations! Pretty powerful stuff and worth looking into for CV health and good blood flow.

Has anyone else had problems with this and managed to overcome them yet? I would like to stay low carb permanently but I think sometimes you have to listen to your body and if you're getting cold it may be worth trying a carb day (I've read that T3 levels can return to normal after 4 days) interspersed with low carb. Pick safer starches if this is your choice, I believe rice is one of them (definitely not wheat which is poison and should be banned in my opinion!), sweet potatoes, quinoa (maybe?) and perhaps some oats into the mix. I don't think even popping is some glucose rich sweets would hurt much either. It seems to be fructose (30 times more glycating than glucose and only processed (into fat!) by the liver) that is the dangerous part of the sugar molecule. Anybody have any thoughts on this topic or better still, have you conquered your chilly problems?
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-15, 13:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think it is a fact of life and one we can't really do anything about. The body defends its fat stores by turning down the metabolism. That leads to being colder. Formerly fat people end up with much slower metabolisms than people of the same weight that never lost the weight.

Does this happen to everyone? I don't know.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-15, 17:03

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Rather than grains of any type, if this is what you are thinking of doing, how about looking at the Atkins carb ladder, and adding those, one at a time, while staying at goal?

If you are eating paleo, the goal is not, strictly speaking, ketosis, but staying away from modern foods AMAP. And all grains are modern foods. But root crops (sweet potatoes, etc) and occasional fruits, especially berries, are not. Fructose with fiber, and berries are arguably the highest fiber fruits, is processed much more slowly than any sugars without fiber.

You seem quite willing to read higher level information, and a meta analysis of multiple research areas on grains might be of interest to you. It's called: Grains, Humanity's Double Edged Sword, and can be found in google scholar.

Dr. William Davis, of WheatBelly fame, has a number of in depth articles on maintaining relatively low intake of sugars on an ongoing basis, as well.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-15, 17:15

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I've noticed that the cold comes and goes, as well. I AM hypothyroid, so whenever my thyroid decides it's time to slow down a little more (a fairly common issue for women, especially, as we age) one of the first signs is feeling even more cold than usual.

Losing weight does the same thing. I think that overthinking the issue isn't all that helpful. It's not like one can't put on some socks and a long sleeved shirt or a sweater.

And, once one has hit the newest plateau (LOL, there always is a newest plateau!) the body gets accustomed to it, and the chilliness fades until the next big drop.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 07:25

Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
I'm constantly freezing too. I thought it was because I'm taking coumadin to 'thin' my blood. Maybe it's not. I get a pretty good amount of fat and I exercise 5x per week...maybe I'll try the coconut oil LadyBelle suggested. It's 68 here today!!! I'm wearing a sweat suit!!!

Have you had your thyroid levels checked?
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 15:01

Stats: 193/180/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have had cold hands and feet my whole life. Lately though, my hands feel like they are on fire. I have noticed though, since starting LC I haven't had night sweats or hot flashes.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-15, 15:41

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Well I have the same Issues but with me it's my new heart. All heart transplants I know are cold afterwards. I was flat lined for 2 minuets and 47 secs, then my brain told my heart to work. They were worried lol

I am cold when it is 65 band breezy outside, so the cold hands and feet are common to me. since I have lost my weight on LCHF I seem to be ok.

My doc also told me that your brain tells the body to protect the vital organ and keep most of the blood towards those when needed.

But hey, I would rather be cold and alive with my weight loss then the size I was.