Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-08, 20:16
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default HIIT - shin splints

Hi,
I just start doing HIIT this week and am having some discomfort in my shins. It's not agonizing....but just a dull ache. Like a sore muscle.

I have been jogging for a while now but it was only at a slow pace.....like 4-5 mph.
Right now I'm doing 6 intervals of 30 seconds at 8mph and then about a 1 1/2-2 minute recovery period.

My question was just to see if this discomfort was normal...... Never had soreness in my shins before so was wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong? or if it's just sore since it's a new form of exercise for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-09, 03:38

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 314/295/250 Male 69
BF:2 much %
Progress: 30%

I will ask you a couple of questions:

1) do your shin splints cause pain that gets better or worse DURING YOUR RUN? If they seem to cause you more pain during your run YOU MIGHT consider getting checked for stress fractures. Just a precaution.

2) Did you get yourself a good pair of shoes for running?

3) Have you been icing your shins, and I mean ICING them alot after running.

I suffered from shin splits for over 35 years, saw doctors etc etc. Nobody could seem to solve the problem. Finally, I decided that I was going to run through my pain and keep running and taking tylenol and using lots of ice. Guess what? I CURED MYSELF of shin splits nearly 10 years ago and have not suffered from them since in any way shape or form.

ICE ICE and more ICE.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-09, 22:27
Registered Member

BF:

Hi EQ

To answer your questions:

1. They seem to be better when I run......they hurt more before and after. And the last time I ran I did make it a point to stretch really well before and after.

2. I do have a decent pair of running shoes.......but it's probably time to get a new pair. I have put quite a bit of mileage on these.

3. I have not iced them AT ALL.

Thank you I have decided to give them a break for a little while but you have some very good points. I'm going to look into some new shoes........and will also try putting ice on my shins after running.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-09, 22:34

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Ice and there are specific exercises that help alot. I could describe them but you'd probably be better off searching the Internet for how-to's. If you've just started they might just go away. I had them at first when I ran and haven't since at all.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-09, 22:37

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 204/203/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hey Chubby, not sure if you remember me or not, but thought I'd say hi. I am getting back on track tomorrow, and i can't wait. Wish you the best of luck girl.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-09, 22:42
Registered Member

BF:

Ok, well........the soreness is gone......and I got some new Nike running shoes. They are ULTRA comfy. Hoping that will help.....

Will also try the ice too.

Thank you guys for all of the input! I will try to report back after my next couple of HIIT sessions.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-09, 15:18
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 180/180/160 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default running barefoot as an alternative to fancy shoes

Hi. I'm going to get some flak for this, but I found that running barefoot actually reduced the pounding stress on my shins, knees, and lower back, compared to running in shoes with thick heels. Basically, when you run barefoot, you automatically land on the FRONT of your foot, and your foot structure, calf muscles, and Achilles tendon, act like a spring and shock absorber combo- like they're designed to! If you dare to land heel-first while barefoot, you'll FEEL it big-time! Most running shoes I've seen have thick, cushy heels that only encourage poor, heel-first running form.
Not only that, in my experience anyways, those same cushy heels didn't cushion my knees and lower back as much as the natural "springs" in my feet (which come into play when landing on the FRONT of my feet)

IMHO, the whole running-with-expensive-shoes-as-a-crutch-for-poor-running-form is a travesty, almost on the same level has the high carb + low fat dogma.

Of note, I'm 6 ft tall and 180 lbs, so I don't have a significant bodyfat excess to hinder running form.
If you choose to run barefoot, start off EASY!! Walk barefoot for a while (perhaps no more than a mile at once), landing first on the balls of your feet, and paying attention to minimizing the shock when your heels contact the ground during follow-through. Once your soles have toughened up, and your calves have strengthened, begin running barefoot slowly, for short distances. No more than a half mile at a shot to begin. If you find this to be too much (say, excessive soreness in the calves or pain/ excess soreness in your feet), cut back! Find the sweet spot that works for you. It may be 1/8 mile, or 1/4 mile--it doesn't matter, you'll eventually work your way up.

Running form should improve automatically when going barefoot. I found that I ran more upright, with slightly shorter strides, and my feet contacted the ground directly beneath me, rather than landing heel-first in front of me Landing heel-first in front of me actually slowed me down a bit (think of the direction of the transmitted forces up your legs when you land heel-first, actually fighting your forward progress!). Also, landing heel-first, even with good shoes, STILL transmitted excess shock to my knees and lower back especially. Running barefoot pretty much cured my lower-back and knee problems. Another benefit; no more smelly, expensive running shoes! My toes are much better off not being crammed in sweaty, nasty shoes.

Some drawbacks to running barefoot;

--You've probably spent your whole life wearing shoes; during work, leisure, running, exercise, etc. This makes it IMPERATIVE that you ease into a barefoot walking/running program. Your muscles, tendons, and bone structure need to get used to the new demands you're placing on them, demands that they've never had to deal with before. Think of it as induction for your feet.

--Watch where you're going! This is self-explanatory. Sticks and stones and broken glass are no fun to step on. After a while, the smaller stones and sticks may be OK to step on, IF you land softly (Remember, your soles will toughen up somewhat, which will help)

This low carb site is a too-well-hidden treasure IMO, and the few barefoot running sites and articles on the web are also hidden diamonds, known by far too few (just like the LC principles espoused here). I hope I didn't anger anyone here, and I hope you do your OWN research and find out more about barefoot running, just like you did your research before going LC.

Last edited by Nginear1 : Wed, Jan-07-09 at 12:44.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-09, 16:26

BF:

I agree with the previous post for people of any size. I would run barefoot but it's not practical for me. I wear the lightest, least "stable" shoes available - New Balance 790's. The people at the running store tried to sell me stability shoes because I am heavy, but they were torture. I really hate overengineered running shoes.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-09, 12:42
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Jschwab; have you heard of Vibram Five-Fingers? They're kinda like reinforced mittens for feet, complete with separate toes and thin rubber outsoles. There's basically no cushioning, so it's easy to land front-first. I don't know their price or durability, but a google search would take care of that. I don't think anything will help their goofy looks, though!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-09, 13:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nginear1
Jschwab; have you heard of Vibram Five-Fingers? They're kinda like reinforced mittens for feet, complete with separate toes and thin rubber outsoles. There's basically no cushioning, so it's easy to land front-first. I don't know their price or durability, but a google search would take care of that. I don't think anything will help their goofy looks, though!

Yes, I've researched it to death! I've thought about these for races, but the goofy looks have put me off so far, along with the fact the shoes I have are so good.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 23:47
Registered Member

BF:

Wow.. barefoot. Never would have thought that would be an option.

I have not been doing the HIIT at all lately. I'm afraid my shins will get sore again. As a matter of fact, I've seriously wondered if maybe I'm just not cut out to be a jogger.
A year ago I was doing alot of running.....and actually enjoying it.......until I started having ankle pain and realized a big part of it was the way I ran/my form. I do not take big strides.....and I was landing heel first.

Here I am a year later trying to run again and it just doesn't seem to come natural for me. I still think my form is off.

Sorry.......I know I'm rambling. I just want to keep trying and hopefully get it right.
I'm open for suggestions.........so I will definitely look into running barefoot.

Thanks guys
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-09, 09:52
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I just googled barefoot running. WOW there is a whole plethora of groups of people who are actually doing this with great success.

So I googled high arch barefoot running, and as it turns out, its beneficial to the muscles! They say that wearing runners designed for high arch feet is deterimental and makes for weak ankle muscles and lazy arches. That is so me!

Very interesting!

Lisa
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-09, 14:49
Registered Member

BF:

Hmm......I think I'm going to try it.
I'm just wondering if jogging barefoot on my treadmill will cause rough feet or callouses? Would it be possible to run with socks?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-09, 18:55
Registered Member

BF:

Ok.....well, that was different.

Went jogging on my treadmill barefoot. Interesting. I did not have ANY soreness in my arches like I did the past couple of times (but I thought that might be normal after taking a break from jogging). I am a little more sore in my calves and the balls of my feet though. I'm thinking of wrapping some sports tape around the balls of my feet next time.......just to make sure I don't get blisters. Does anyone do that? Or any other suggestions?

What was really interesting is ..... there was NO way I could land on my heels while I was jogging. It definitely felt more natural......easier somehow. AND I was able to go longer than I usually do. hmmmm.

Think I'll have to do it a couple more times to see if I like it or not.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-09, 11:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I've barefoot ran off and on for the past year or so; my feet do get tougher and somewhat callused from running on harder surfaces. However, the calluses aren't nearly as bad as expected, because hard, rough surfaces have a "sandpaper effect" that keeps the calluses in check. Unless you run barefoot for extreme distances, on very rough surfaces, with poor form (letting your feet slide significantly upon footstrike), you shouldn't have any problems with wearing the skin too thin.

It likely felt more natural because it IS more natural, according to most sources I read. We've gotten by without shoes far longer than with them. This is somewhat analogous to modern agriculture, hence why we're on this website. Be careful with HIIT while barefoot running; the harder impacts may be too much for your Achilles tendons to fully absorb at first; the effect is like bottoming out your car's suspension over a large bump at speed, and the impact will go straight up your shins, as was my case. If you work it up gradually, you should be fine.

Socks work, too, though they might trap some sweat, which would soften the skin and possibly make it more susceptible to blistering, depending on running surface. I prefer the cooler, drier feeling without socks, and I like to keep my socks hole-free.

Lots of runners-even experienced ones-have problems with foot blisters after long distances. This is due to rubbing within the shoe, compounded by skin softening due to trapped sweat. Not to mention dealing with smelly, $$$ shoes, foot fungus, etc. Too bad running barefoot doesn't work well in wintertime (though I've heard of some diehard runners who do just that!)

Last edited by Nginear1 : Fri, Jan-23-09 at 11:22.