Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 16:28
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%
Cool South Beach Chat

I'm so inspired by the wonderfulness of South Beach ~ am starting this thread in case anyone else wants to chat about how it's making a difference in their lives. Or just SoBe stuff in general!

Am astonished at how much better I'm feeling already (and I'm only on week two of Phase I after switching over to the beach). Am also shocked to believe I could actually live this way forever and not miss a thing.

Would love to hear anything on your mind re: South Beach!

Cheers,
Sass
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 16:59
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I'm really happy for you that you are having such a good go of it this time!!

It has surely changed my life....
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 18:38
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 154/149.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Judy Im amazed at your weight loss and maintenance. Do you have an exercise regimen, or just the dog walking?

I just want to know what I can do to maximize my results.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 19:27

Plan: SBD
Stats: 230/201/165 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default South Beach Chat

Hi Sass,

happy to hear you're feeling good about SB. I feel the same way too!I'm a return beacher who came back the end of this past Aug and glad I did.I feel
this time around I have paid better attention to what my body was telling me.
Before I just didn't know what was doing what!I added too many things at
once and came to a complete halt. I can't do everything that Dr. A suggests,
but thats the beauty of the program. It has to suit your lifestyle. I feel that
there will not be a problem with this WOE for the rest of my lifetime. I'm comfortable with the good choices we have and I do not concentrate on what
I can't have. Those days are long gone out of my thoughts. I'm still finding out what I can do where my body doesn't gain. However,I'm pretty sure at this time what I can handle. It took awhile but I'm glad I stayed around to do
it right this time. As far as exercise I started walking about a month maybe less into the program with grumpy thoughts because I didn't want to be
bothered. I started with 10 minutes. Now 5 months into program my walking
time is 50 minutes before breakfast everyday with a goal of 1 hr a day.
Healthy eating and exercieing go hand in hand. Judy has been a big inspiration for me and a helping hand. We are all here for one another,so
that is my story up to now. I think this is a good thread to have started.
I feel better then I ever. This WOE has been a vaulable help to my hiatal
hernia and GERD so to me I'm thankful and this is the year my goal will be reached. Lots of success to you..................Sissy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 20:07
one day at a time

BF:

Hi All:

Judy, you have inspired many of us, so it's an honor that you're post number two!!!!!

And Sissy, thanks for sharing your story. (I'm still smiling from the description of walking "with grumpy thoughts"--that's just such a perfect way to describe my forays into exercise, too.) That's wonderful that it's been so great for you! And wow, on the walking practice you've developed. That's fantastic! Am also very impressed with how you are approaching and experimenting and figuring out what works for you and doesn't. I can already tell that I'm nervous about Phase II and may stay on Phase I for a few weeks longer because I want so desperately to lose some before slowing down!!! So any advice on the re-adding of foods is welcome. You are doing great with the loss, by the way!!!! Woohoo!!!

I don't know if I mentioned this anywhere else, but I was looking at People magazine this week and they had the "Half Their Weight" story and one of the women had lost her weight on SBD. Was so happy to see that there! I am always questing around on the web for SBD success stories. Don't think they update them enough on the official SBD site (though JUDY, your story is AWESOME! best one there). Have found them other places around the web, but would love to make a site where there are links to all of them. Just for those days when I need inspiration. Hey, maybe I will do that...to ponder. Hmmmmm.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 22:56
Attitude is a Choice

Sass...I strongly suggest that when you finish your 2 weeks of phase I, that you begin phase II by adding in 1 fruit serving a day ie: 1 serving of berries 3/4 cup.

Thats all...just 1 fruit.....it'll be OK...I promise!!

Second week, you will add 1 starchy veggie ( sweet potato or butternut squash) and go to 2 fruits. I suggest to steer clear of grains for a while.

Some do this for 3 days the first week of phase II....you can do it that way too.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 23:19
one day at a time

BF:

Ok, I will do it, Judy! But only because you promised.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 23:38
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee5155
Judy Im amazed at your weight loss and maintenance. Do you have an exercise regimen, or just the dog walking?

I just want to know what I can do to maximize my results.

At your weight Dee....it'd be great if you started to lift some weights and do some toning ie: Pilates or yoga. It will help your body a lot!!

I did only walking while I was losing but I was huge and could barely do that. I walk 4-5 hours a day and it hurt when I was still 270. I lifted weights this past year and am ashamed that I have not worked out in a while...but want to get back to it as I felt great when I was doing it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 02:08

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 165/135.1/130 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:36%/27.5%/26%
Progress: 85%

Exercise has always been my Achilles' Heel with any plan I've tried. I've discovered that I'm a social exerciser--I love classes and any kind of group exercise activity. I seem to need that kick in the butt to keep going! Right now, I'm part of a small group of friends that meets twice a week to do exercise videos together. It's fun, we mix it up a bit, and I don't miss because I don't want to disappoint my friends! Tonight we did Tae Bo and it was a blast.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 06:17

Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Renee + exercise = procrastiation!
It's been almost 3 months since I did any serious exercising. Basically since starting at the new store. I keep telling myself that I will make the time to do it this afternoon...tomorrow morning....tomorrow night...in a coupe of days...yadda, yadda, yadda. I definitely need to get my butt in gear and just do it already! Maybe this afternoon
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 07:11

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Great Thread.

My story is long so I'll try and make it short.
Started SB in July 2004. Hubby was doing it with me. He made his goal in Dec 2004. Then he lost a bit more and maintained his goal weight since then.

Me I'm still working towards my goal. I've learned a lot about body and what I need to eat to keep loosing.
I added back in too many extras along the way and done a pretty good job of maintaining.
But thats not good as I did this before I reached my goal.

Judy and this forum has kept me going. I know a lot about what not to do now!!!!

So with the New Year, time to just get back at.

Stick to the plan, use the foods, meal charts. It works if you do it by the book.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 08:00
one day at a time

BF:

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for coming to chat.

Skippie, thanks for sharing your story! Very cool that you've learned about what works for you. Seems like I've been trying to figure that out for myself forever!!!

Renee: I feel you...am in the same boat! Drawerful of exercise DVDs and not a second to do them. (Sundancer, I LOVE Tae Bo, too. Very centering and makes me feel strong. Billy is sooooo cool.)

Sigh. Exercise = another goal to add to my neverending Working On It To-Do List!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 09:25
Registered Member

Stats: 154/149.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I agree with Katrina. I'm a social exerciser but I've been getting better. I have work out DVD's at home and I have an elliptical machine. I don't mind the cardio, but I'm not a fan of strength training. A few years ago I had a personal trainer who pushed me and was there showing me what to do and that made me accountable and therefore I did it. Now that Im not working and don't belong to a gym, strength training is a little more difficult for me. I'll just have to become more disciplined, I found a website that gives me tons of strength training exercises I can do without any equipment. Just have to get off my BUTT!!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 09:25

Plan: SBD
Stats: 230/201/165 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default South Beach Chat

Well Good Morning Everyone

Looks like I'm coming around to posting on the boards other then my journal.
Guess I really am a "sissy" at heart.

I was scared of everything when I first started but being as young as I am the score was quite clear to me. Sass,I too didn't want to move on
to P2 but Judy told me the same thing as she is saying to you.It works!
Don't be afraid to move on by adding 1 fruit the first week and then adding
a veggie starch the following. This how I learned about how my bode works.
I eat berries,pea soup and buttenut squash wo any problems. its when I try
putting to many things tog that my bode reacted. For instant one day I did,cranberries,swt potato,wasa,apple etc. and of course for me this show a
gain. Not much but enough to make me aware. So when I'm having swt.
potato,I don't eat the butternut squash same meal or same day, I usually wait
a few days or sometimes a week,but this is what works for my body.
I'm sure I have either totally confused you or hopefully not made you more
scared. But anyway good talking with you and keep up the good work.
I also eat off of a 8 inch plate,a bigger one for salad.
Renee.......I too was bummed out about excercise and it was something you
couldn't tell me that it was the right thing to do. I did not want to period,
But Judy again was the inspiration for my doing this. I'm going to make her blush so I better quit. Have a successful day.

Skippie
I hope you are doing great with you knee and lots of luck to you

Last edited by sissym2004 : Tue, Jan-08-08 at 09:31. Reason: spelling
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 12:38

Stats: 375/309/185 Female 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 35%

This has been a great thread for me to read!! THANKS!!!

My "story"
I have been overweight pretty much my entire life, or struggled with food at anyrate. I had a phase (1991-1994) that I struggled with eating disorders (other than over-eating) I am 6' tall... and for those 3 years weighed about 130-140. NOT healthy. In 1994 I went on the Depo Provera shot... WOW WHAT A MISTAKE for someone with "food issues" I literally gained 80 pounds in 3 months. I spent from 1995-2004 "dieting" yo yoing. but for the most part just going up and up and up.sigh. In 2004 i was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. One of the "problems" with this disease is that my body over produces insulin... so if i eat something that requires insulin (any carb/sugar) my body makes too much insulin for what is actually required, because of that, it causes me to "need" (crave) other sugary things... to use up that insulin... so it is a very never ending circle.

In 2005 my dr said... GO ON SOUTH BEACH. You will feel better with in 10 days. And you will be able to avoid needing medication to deal with this. I did.. it worked. I felt BETTER THAN I"D FELT since before i could remember. I had clarity of thought, energy, motivation, i wasn't hungry all the time, i didn't crave the sweets. AMAZING. I started SBD on May 15, 2005. I followed it "perfectly" (a perfect first 2 weeks, 1 new item every week etc. in phase 2) I lost close to 80 pounds between May and October. Then I started working out. And was HUNGRY. I built up to running 2-3 miles a day. So i added some more food. ANd started adding grains. I didn't have a problem... because i was working out so much. I continued to lose. In January 2006 I was running outside, slipped, fell, hurt my self. And had to quit working out for almsost 2 months... only i didn't quit eating. I got depressed. I ate more.... I kept telling myself "i was ok" but i wasn't. I got sloppier and sloppier.... until i wasn't doing it.

I tried starting again in Jan 07... that lasted about 3 days, because i started "tweeking" the plan that soon. BAD IDEA.

So..... here i am... Jan 2008 and DETERMINED to do this. I LOVED how i felt and looked (even though I still had another 80 pounds to lose... you can hide lots when you are 6' tall!) when i was doing south beach.. BY THE BOOK!

So far, in my 1 week of phase 1.... NO CHEATS. AND i am working out. Not running, but doing yoga/pliates 2x a week, and water aerobics and swimming laps 2 days a week. the other 3 days i am trying to make sure i do "something" active.

For me the BIGGEST FACTORS to success are:
1. eating enough that i don't get hungry. When im STARVING, i am more likely to cheat.
2. being prepared. Having foods ready for when if i DO get to that HUNGRY stage.
3. WATER WATER WATER!!!! and then another glass of WATER!!!
4. REWARDS!!! yep I'll admit it... i do "tricks for treats". Example... my bday is Feb 1.... I've promised myself a PEDICURE (gotta have cute toes if you are doing yoga right???) if ive been PERFECTLY on SB Plan AND worked out NO LESS than 3 times a week between now and then!

Ok, that is a wayyyyyyyyyyy long post... I hope that someone can find something helpful in it, and wasn't too bored by it!

Last edited by Camelle217 : Tue, Jan-08-08 at 12:40. Reason: edited to correct a typo on a date