Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 06:10

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Good Morning All, Well I just finished W2D3....although in actually other than the first interval, I did week 3's intervals.....I guess I just felt like pushing myself today to see it I could even do next weeks training... It went well, it was tough, but I finished it. I don't know but it does feel like it is getting harder and before I had fully recovered it was time to run again... Since I finished today I'm not sure if I will run again this week or just walk on Friday... Today was definitely one of those days when I thought I was too dang fat for this, but I kept on just putting one foot in front of the other and slowed down when I needed to.

I'm trying not to over train to prevent any injuries to myself... I overtrained in March in an aerobics routine and developed a rotator cuff injury that is still trying to heal... Might need surgery, but hope not. I definitely feel it after my runs. Someone else mentioned exercising on the days off, and I am just using them to recover right now. Because of my weight I just think that is the right thing to do until I lose some more.. Anyway hope that everyone has a good run today and moves on to the next phase.

TJ
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 06:26

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

This is a great program.
I usedit 2 years ago to prep fora 5K & ended up running the Lewis and Clark Half Marathon.

Ive not run very much lately, but I might be interested in joining you here.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by niudog
This is a great program.
I usedit 2 years ago to prep fora 5K & ended up running the Lewis and Clark Half Marathon.

Ive not run very much lately, but I might be interested in joining you here.

Hey Niudog, feel free to jump in when you can... The more the merrier!

Have a great day!

TJ
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 13:20

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Thanks Janine for the advice... I don't have access to one but wish I did.... I've been going very slow and trying to run on the balls of my feet as someone suggested and so far it is working... I actually can't believe I am doing this but it seems to be working....haven't lost any weight though but that is because I have eating junk lately...frustrated with weight loss...since March 15 pounds geez... Was hoping this would give it a boost. Well let's see how I do on my eating plan this week...along with the running...cross your fingers for me ....

I must say every morning that I go out, I surprise myself... It is surely a blessing...

TJ

I stalled for a long time when I started running - even gained. I did a long race (10 miles) and then stopped running to lose more weight. I think the running had increased my metabolism but I was holding on to weight because my body was stressed. I lost 7 pounds that first week I quit and got done with the 30# challenge very quickly. I recently started running again and I'm able to continue to lose because I have minimized the miles I am doing in favor of doing a lot of cross training - swimming, bodyweight exercises in the form of trapeze and a "boot camp" workout. In fact, I am only running 4.4 miles a week right now. When I begin increasing my miles in preparation for my half-marathon I will probably not go over 20 miles per week and I am hoping that keep the weight loss going. Right now, I am losing very quickly.

Running can make weight loss VERY difficult (or very easy, if you're lucky). Don't let is get you down. Your body is getting stronger, you're stressing it alot. Take it easy.

Janine
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 12:38

Hey Janine,

I am taking it slow, very slow so I won't stress my knees....so far so good. I am worried about not having any weight loss. Recently started South Beach so that I can get more carbs and I definitely have more energy than I did on Atkins that is for sure...

You are doing so well, I'm only doing this for exercise....4.4 miles a week is fantastic. My ultimate goal is 3 miles 3 days a week.... I decided that I would wait until I have completed week three to add Pilates back to my routiine... I know I need strength training and that will help...

Have a great day!

TJ
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 05:33

Ok...W3D1....a challenge...did 9 or 10 intervals....almost 3 miles...3 minute jog, 90 minute recovery. Again, it was another day of thinking that I am too dang fat for this! On the other hand, I finished another day and I'm still here...

My mood is a challenge today but I plan on eating on plan and weathering the storm.

TJ
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 07:49

BF:

Quote:
Hey Janine,

I am taking it slow, very slow so I won't stress my knees....so far so good. I am worried about not having any weight loss. Recently started South Beach so that I can get more carbs and I definitely have more energy than I did on Atkins that is for sure...

You are doing so well, I'm only doing this for exercise....4.4 miles a week is fantastic. My ultimate goal is 3 miles 3 days a week.... I decided that I would wait until I have completed week three to add Pilates back to my routiine... I know I need strength training and that will help...

Have a great day!

TJ

I think that's a great goal - lots of people just mindlessly try to add more and more miles, for no reason. I can't remember if I pointed out that I ran for seven months with no loss or even gaining and then recently it all kicked in and I've lost over thirty pounds in a really short period of time - I'm losing 3-4 pounds a week now. Your body may just need the extra carbs to adapt - running puts an enormous amount of stress on the body.

Janine
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-08, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I think that's a great goal - lots of people just mindlessly try to add more and more miles, for no reason. I can't remember if I pointed out that I ran for seven months with no loss or even gaining and then recently it all kicked in and I've lost over thirty pounds in a really short period of time - I'm losing 3-4 pounds a week now. Your body may just need the extra carbs to adapt - running puts an enormous amount of stress on the body.

Janine

Yes, I do remember you saying you didn't lose when you were running which has me worried... This is my third week and today I am down one pound, but I must admit for the last couple of weeks, especially when I started running I was really hungry and was eating planned foods but too much of them... So, that seems to have settled down and now I am back to eating properly again.

Running does put a great deal of stress on my body... Friday's run did me in. I was planning on running again Saturday but didn't have the energy to do it so I decided to wait until Monday to restart and give my body a rest. I'm looking forward to finishing week three next week though....

Again, congrats on your weight loss...wish I could lose 2-3 pounds a week...geez... At the rate that I am losing, it seems like it will take forever....but I must admit South Beach seems to suit me better and give me more energy... It must have something to do with my meds or hormonal imbalance that I have now...

TJ
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-08, 13:20

BF:

I did a race today and, all told, ate five brownies! Yikes! Won't be losing this week, I suppose. I am starting to think two days recovery between runs is optimal for me. I crosstrain with swimming and trapeze, though. Given that reality I am looking in to competing in multisports so I get the variety. It was a 5K as part of a sprint trathlon - I can't believe the people were running after swimming and biking!

Janine
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 06:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I did a race today and, all told, ate five brownies! Yikes! Won't be losing this week, I suppose. I am starting to think two days recovery between runs is optimal for me. I crosstrain with swimming and trapeze, though. Given that reality I am looking in to competing in multisports so I get the variety. It was a 5K as part of a sprint trathlon - I can't believe the people were running after swimming and biking!

Janine

Wow, that is what I call an ATHLETE.... Can't imagine doing that, this true couch potatoe is just barely doing the C25k....

Progress....Well all I can say is woohoo .... I just completed week 3, day 2 of the Couch to 5K Running Program. The intervals today were 10 and they were supposed to be jogged at 3 minutes, and walked at 90 seconds.... Ok, so I did it and even for a bonus did the 9th interval at 7 minutes and the 10th interval at 8 minutes... I felt rejuvenated, it was nice and cool out this morning, not breezy but not humid either. I tried to focus on my jogging style and my music...that seemed to spur me on. I even noticed today that my legs looked a little bit more toned, not much, but just enough to see they are starting to show a little muscle in my calve area... This is a milestone for me and today was a blessed day... So just maybe I'm not too fat for this jogging program after all!....

TJ
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 20:28

BF:

I tried to post earlier but I guess I didn't do it right. Anyway, I was saying how fantastic I thought you were doing! Don't call it jogging! - I read that term was invented to get housewives to run who thought it was too sweaty and masculine. There are people who walk/run marathons in times us mortals can only dream of. The intervals you are doing are chllenging and designed to really maximize your training effort! I wish I had the patience to do them because it is really the right way to train. My 5K time yesterday was 36:19, about 12 minute miles - I am so SLOOOW.

Janine
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 08:28

Hey Janine...I can only imagine doing a 5K. Yesterday's run was the best I've had so far...I felt good while running, and the music really helps me to find my rhythm while running. You, too, did an excellent job and I'm sure you'll only get better and better... Keep up the good work!

TJ
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 09:03

BF:

Quote:
Hey Janine...I can only imagine doing a 5K. Yesterday's run was the best I've had so far...I felt good while running, and the music really helps me to find my rhythm while running. You, too, did an excellent job and I'm sure you'll only get better and better... Keep up the good work!

TJ

You'll get there so quickly - it will be over before you know it.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 06:15

Good Morning all, Just finished my last leg of the week 3, day 3 run. The last interval I ran 15 minutes, not even a mile geez.... Oh well on to week four! I'm frustrated today and almost didn't run because I usually weigh every day and I am up a pound today,....discouraging... Had lost 15 pounds but when I started running I gained back 4 pounds....lost 2 of those since last Wednesday, and gained one back today..... I can't imagine how long it is going to take to take to lose 80 pounds...geez! It has taken me six months just to get this off, very discouraging. Ok, but enough of that. I want to be a runner and running seems to be conflicting with my weight loss goals... One part of me wants to quit so that the scales will move again. I was thinking about running and recalled the man that I see every day when taking my dd to school who is obese and runs every day, or the man who I would see at the park when I would be walking with the beer belly....runs all the time. I don't want to be that person, although I am....that fat person everyone is looking at wondering what is the point. Oh well I said I would give this South Beach diet plan a month and I'm wavering, but we'll see...

Hope everyone else has a better day....

TJ
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 07:08
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

TJ, don't let the scale discourage you. It's common for weight loss to stall when you start exercising. Your body retains water and freaks out and just doesn't know what to do. What you are feeding me less food & making me workout at the same time?

The weight loss will start back up again as long as you are continuing to eat on plan and aren't eating too much extra because of your running. When I transitioned to exercising, my weight loss stalled for a few weeks, and I was pulling my hair out, whining about it constantly on the forum, and ready to chuck it all, but I stuck it out and the weight loss did start back up.

And your running speed will get better relatively quickly. The first 5k run I did was in 42 minutes! It was very slow. In only 3 years of running (and lots of time off due to injury, unfortunately), I've dropped that time to around 27:30 minutes. Your speed will pick up quickly as you progress.