Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 14:09

Plan: the zone
Stats: 130/140/130
BF:
Progress:

thanks for your reply lauralynn. i appreciate the feedback. firstly, i would just like to clarify that i do not eat the high carb veggies sich as corn and potatoes. i eat the lower carb ones such as lettuce, broccoli, peppers, radish, etc. istay away from tomatoes as they weaken they weaken the spleen and mine is slightly sluggish (i follow a lot from chinese medicine). yes, i like my fruit. i am guilty of that. i have been eating it according to the zone diet (balance of protein, carbs and fat at EVERY meal) so that it regulates insulin levels. i read the atkins diet years ago and gained weight from it when i tried it. i am a holistic nutritionist so many of the high protein diets do not sit well with me. i believe in balance. you are right in the sense that perhaps it it not working for me in the sense that af has not arrived yet, but i have only been following this WOL since july 2nd. i have already lost 7 lbs so that is working well for me. your food ideas are great, thank you.

in response to your question: I guess you need to ask yourself, "How badly do I want to control my PCOS symptoms? What changes am I willing to make?" i believe that i have made many changes since july. i also believe that moderation is key. i do not work well under extremely difficult situations (specially when i am super stressed with my move and all). i am doing the best that i can given the situation. i know you are only trying to help me and kick me into shape. i appreicate this. thank you. but at the same time, i only learned about all this stuff over the last 1.5 months so i every day is a learning experience. i will try the higher protein diets after my move is complete and i am less stressed. but for now, i will continue with the zone diet as i also believe in what it has to say. i will definitely look to you for some support and advice in a few weeks time when i am ready to tackle the high protein way.

andrea
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 23:31

Plan: protein power
Stats: 149/142/132
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default andrea

Hi! I am just a "tell it like it is" type of person. Just my personality I guess. Sometimes I can be a little blunt... So thanks for not taking it personally.

I wish you the best with everthing after the dust settles for you. yea, it is definetly hard to follow any plan precisely when your life is chaotic.

I honestly know only a little about the Zone. maybe it will work for you if you give it more time. You definetly need to do what you think is best for you. Different people can respond completly differently to the same thing. Just "fyi" though , very few PCOS'ers seem to follow the Zone. I think perhaps because it allows to many carbs to drastically reduce the insulin level. PCOS'ers have more severe problems with insulin resistance/high insulin levels than the "average" person. We need a more drastic aproach (atleast in the intital phase) to bring our insulin levels under control. Once our levels are more controlled, we can gradually start increasing our carbs.

By the way, Adkins and Protein Power are not necasarily "high protien". It may be just a "word thing" but...
In Protein power, you do calculations to see how much protein you need to simply maintain your current muscle mass. It is an "adequate" protein diet to maintain your muscles. Without enough protein, we can loose muscle and even become emaciated looking. Strong muscles are fat burning machines. Protein power really emphasizes this...In the book they sordof go overboard to point out the difference between "high protein" vs "adequate protein".

You may find Adkins/protein power more balanced than you think. The first phase of each plan is strict, but after that it gets better.

I am so very wordy with everything. I just have a hard time being brief...
You'll probably be glad to know (haha) that I am going out of town and won't be posting for awhile.

But really, I am no expert.... do what you think is best for you. These are just my "two cents" worth. Check out the Zone section of this forum...they may have some tips for you.
LauraLynn