Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-06, 11:26

Plan: Neandergirl
Stats: 145/131/122 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:36/34/19
Progress: 61%

sharon I have noticed that the crankiness for me goes away after being on induction for a while, and also means I am losing
no matter what method wieght loss I look at crankiness and sleepiness as a sure sign of loss-I reallly sucks to be cranky with a newborn so I can relate

I had to do meat and egg to get the weight off last time, I will do it again this time too. I will feel so much better with 20 llbs off me!!!

Last edited by pinkquinn : Mon, Oct-30-06 at 11:28. Reason: left out words
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-06, 17:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184.5/180.4/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Meat and eggs....and nothing else? Was that to give your metabolism a kick? Like a radical induction?
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-06, 18:27

yes, some people need this to feel what true and deep ketosis is, its also for people who hit a true stall.

go to countdowns and buddies or challenges (or something like that) some people do it as a way of life
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-06, 19:27
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks. I'll read up about it.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 00:11

Plan: Atkins Phase I/CCLL = 40
Stats: 187/165/135 Female 65 inches
BF:?%/30%/25%
Progress: 42%

Excert from interview on Larry King Live...

"KING: Are some under risk switching to low carb?

ATKINS: Very few people. I would say it shouldn't happen to a pregnant woman or a woman who is feeding her infants. It shouldn't happen to a person who already has kidney disease. But a few statements like that which we make, but basically other than that, very, very few people get in trouble from carbohydrate restriction. "

"KING: OK. Aurora, Illinois, hello. CALLER: Hello. Hi.

I have just had a baby two and a half months ago and wondered why it wasn't safe for me to do the Atkins diet.

ATKINS: Well, it is safe for you to do the maintenance level of the diet. But you don't want to give the keytones to an infant if you're feeding them breast milk.

KING: And she would be getting the keytones from what?

ATKINS: From being on a strict version of the diet. But you wouldn't be getting them if you're just on a low carbohydrate maintenance level. "

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRI.../25/lkl.00.html
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 15:13

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Atkins was a cardiologist, not a paediatrician. He was a world reknowned authority on ketosis as it applied to adults, especially those with health problems, but not on pregnancy or breastfeeding.

I'm assuming that as he never mentioned it in any of his books, he didn't know that a healthy breastfed baby spends its first six months in ketosis, until solids are introduced. He never quoted any figures from the World Health Organisation showing that women in famine and emergency situations, who are mal-nourished and almost certainly in ketosis, do breastfeed very successfully. Mortality rates for breastfed babies in these situations are almost the same as non-emergency rates for that country. They only increase when exclusive breastfeeding stops.

Knowledge has moved on. At the time Atkins was working, it was a general assumption that ketones might pass into breastmilk, but no-one actually checked if it did. It doesn't. I checked my own breastmilk at regular intervals, and I have since asked some of the leading authorities on breastfeeding in Ireland, who have access to all sorts of clinical studies.

Make your decision on whether or not you plan to be in ketosis while breastfeeding on current research, not an out-of-date radio interview.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 15:54

helen, you are my hero

btw I have read that human breast milk has more toxins like pesticides in it than is leagal for cows milk

what do you think? especially since my first is autistic and there are questions about the implications of pesticideds and such in contributing to autism. I have even read some research that says more austistic children where bf.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 16:44
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, thanks for that sensible post, Helen.

I also think that a lot of those kinds of comments are just super-cautious where pregnant and lactating women are concerned because of fears of future litigation.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 16:45

BF:
Progress:

Toxins are obviously going to vary from person to person, depending on where they live and what they eat etc, but even at worst, breast milk is individually formulated for each baby to provide it with with it needs. It's got to be better than processed and modified cow's milk.

Can you send me a link to that research about autism? I'd like to check it out. Sometimes studies are either very badly conducted (like the "Women shouldn't exercise" one) or don't actually show what the headlines say.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 23:26

yes, give me some time to find it
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 15:20

BF:
Progress:

While you are looking, take a look at this website, and its take on toxins in breastmilk.

http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.p...id=60&Itemid=85

Dr Jack is probably the leading authority on breastfeeding in the world right now. I've been to lectures from him, and he really knows what he's talking about.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 01:51

great article, it made me feel soo much better

I went to the thread on my board about the bf and autism link and there was no refference, just hear say. sigh of relief....
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-06, 10:21

BF:
Progress:

I'll have a look for anything I can find on breastfeeding and autism, but to be honest, I'd be very surprised if there is a connection. Not only is breastmilk the best food for optimal brain development, I get the very strong impression that most autistic children are not breast fed for more than a few days. From all I can gather, it's more difficult to nurse an autistic child so most of them end up on bottles very quickly.