Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 19:06
Registered Member

Plan: semi
Stats: 144/138/130 Female 65 inches
BF:30%/29%/24%
Progress: 43%
Default statins/muscle aches

I would like to know if anyone else besides me has what i think is a side effect of taking a statin drug - muscles aches. i appreciate your input. Thanks
cookie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 19:48

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Muscle aches is a known bad side-effect of statins. Call your doctor up and let him/her know of the problem. Statins can cause permanent muscle damage.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 20:43

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie66
I would like to know if anyone else besides me has what i think is a side effect of taking a statin drug - muscles aches. i appreciate your input. Thanks
cookie
Absolutely!!! Muscle and joint aches, exercise intolerance, memory problems, and many more.

Side effects don't seem to be dose related, nor do they seem to be related to length of time on the meds.

Check out Dr Graveline's web-site for additional information. And be prepared to have your doc deny the pain is caused by the statin. S/he'll likely order blood work, but having normal levels does NOT mean the statin isn't the cause.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 23:59

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Dr. Graveline's site.http://spacedoc.net/

Down on the left.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 13:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I did and they were very severe. I told the doctor that I could not take them and he suggested Fish oil instead. Once I quit, the pain went away. I now tell the doctors that I can not take statins, that I take fish oil and they leave me alone.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 16:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/122/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 91%

My husband has had muscle pain from Statins on three different brands. Dr. just refused to beleive that it was the statin even though his liver readings also went up every time he took them and back down every time he stopped. Now he takes fish oil and tells the Dr. (a new one) that he's allergic to statins,

Glennette
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 17:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 228/216/180 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie66
cookie

yes I have had trials with lipitor, zocor, crestor, and most recently vytorin (lipitor plus zetia), muscle aches and agonizing cramps every time. I simply will not try again, the last time I barely recovered full use of my legs. SIL had the same problem when he was put on lipitor after high chol dx at age 35. he is on niacin.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 21:40

Please read up on some of the recent articles about statins. A meta analysis was done and found NO benefit for women at any age!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 16:17
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Please don't take no for an answer- tell your MD and insist on STOPPING. Mucsle pain is an absolute reason to stop these medications.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
Please don't take no for an answer- tell your MD and insist on STOPPING. Mucsle pain is an absolute reason to stop these medications.
Eno's right.

Check out Dr Graveline's website (http://www.spacedoc.net/) and maybe a stopping statins group on Yahoo (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/grou...yguid=252269729) It's a bunch of people that have stopped or are thinking of stopping statins. Some have been permanently damaged. Many use alternative medicine, or diet or supplements. It's a great group and if nothing else, Fran the list owner had a ton of information about cholesterol and statins.