Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#976   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-15, 08:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Patient resources on Dr Fung's site seem to be accessible again.

WOW, many thanks, they ARE BACK!
Anyone interested SAVE what you need now. And to any member here I recently sent five key documents...there are MORE documents on his site, things like Mindful Meditation not so critical to how to do a IDM fast plan. https://intensivedietarymanagement....ient-resources/

Wonder if he did get so many requests from the Diabetes Summit (which btw, is also still there if you saved the direct link ) or because of today's LLVLC podcast. Whatever...great news.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-08-15 at 13:01.
Sponsored Links
  #977   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-15, 10:25

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
But from the other side--if we're living off of our fat stores, the lower our fat stores get, the more we'll need to lean on dietary fat for energy.

I thought even in the very lean there is still a great abundance of calories available from fat?
  #978   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-15, 11:28

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Patient resources on Dr Fung's site seem to be accessible again.
Thanks for the heads up. I've now saved the rest of his patients' resources to my computer in case they get protected again. I don't think the Fasting FAQs were there before.
  #979   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-15, 13:00

Podcast is available, and yes, there will be a book also he will be starting a series on how to do fasting, mentioned both blog posts and shorter videos about the topic.
http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-08-15 at 13:17.
  #980   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-15, 14:57

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Podcast is available, and yes, there will be a book also he will be starting a series on how to do fasting, mentioned both blog posts and shorter videos about the topic.
http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/

Good news about the book. I'm sure he'll do a great job on it.
  #981   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-15, 18:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkor
I thought even in the very lean there is still a great abundance of calories available from fat?

There is--but that doesn't mean that fasting is the metabolic equivalent of eating fat. Insulin may be low in both cases, but insulin isn't the only thing going on. There are hormonal effects of eating--as well as more direct effects of how the fat is digested that affect the metabolism. For instance, during the absorptive phase of digestion, blood lipids will have a peak that wouldn't be there during a fast. More free fatty acids may be available to the liver for ketone formation at this time, than during the fast.

A keto-adapted person will be spared the discomforts due to glucose withdrawal during a fast. But glycogen stores aren't the only thing under stress during a fast, there's also the protein stores. Any fasting person will dip into both protein and fat stores during a fast, and leaner people and animals tend to burn more protein vs. fat. I'm not sure why this is so. It may just come down to availability of fat, lean people might still have enough to easily supply their energy needs, as long as the body's willing to tap into it--but maybe they lack the sort of surplus that's available to somebody who's overweight or obese.
  #982   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-15, 22:55

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 308/247.5/182 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hey, question. ....

In one of his Dr. Fung's videos, he mentions that someone fasted for 3 weeks? Does anyone have any insight on whether that is 3 weeks straight or intermittent....one day on,one off?

is there a cycle to follow, or is it continuous?

Also, I want to vent that I just bought a 2lbs bottle of whey protein powder that I now can't use since whey increases insulin.

Last edited by JoeMama : Wed, Apr-08-15 at 23:08.
  #983   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 03:48

That patient Margaret and her husband are interviewed at the end of this lecture: https://intensivedietarymanagement....-video-lecture/. Entire lecture good, she starts around minute 42.

Yes, that was three weeks straight fasting, no eating. She was obese and very sick to start, but said it was easy. She was monitored weekly; this might not be something you should attempt on your own, esp if on meds! After three weeks, her family urged her to eat and she has been fasting alternate days since.

Sorry about that whey, but it keeps for a long time! I still use it occasionally for a break from eggs or a light lunch. Mark Sisson, who sells whey naturally has a different view. Search for his whey protein article from Nov 2014, his website appears down at this time.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Apr-09-15 at 05:32.
  #984   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 06:40

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Today I plan to evaluate what I am doing and why. I continue to do a 12-16 hour fast daily but although I have intended to stretch my fasting period out I find myself getting too hungry and shaky and needing to eat, especially in the morning. I have cut my carbs down from 20 to 12 and I am keeping my proteins strictly at 60 or less and that seems to have allowed my bg's to go lower. So today I am going to try to determine if I should just go with where I am and not try to tweak things further in this bordering on obsessive kind of playing with my diet I have been doing. So my overarching question today is "what am I trying to accomplish?" I suspect that I need to relax and go with how I am now eating and instead focus on including more exercise into my life. I will never become a gym rat but I think getting back to strength training is a good first step. I do walk the dog daily and now that the snow and ice has mostly melted (although it snowed a bit last night) walking a fair distance every day is possible without having to worry about slipping and breaking bones.

Jean
  #985   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 07:20
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Jean,
The "what am I doing and why" part changes for me. My body seems to adapt to a rhythm. I think I need to change the rhythm and trick it into doing what I want.
At my age, circulation is a big deal. I've been walking at least 3 miles before dawn for almost a year now. I seem to have stalled and my circulation isn't improving. I'm going to walk fewer steps in the morning and go to my local gym to walk again later in the day and do some yoga, too.
Yesterday, I waited past my usual 24 hrs to eat and I think I ate too much at once because this morning my FBG was up a few points. So today I will eat 3 meals for the first time in many days. Just trying to break the rhythm. I'll see what happens.
  #986   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 07:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Jean,
The "what am I doing and why" part changes for me. My body seems to adapt to a rhythm. I think I need to change the rhythm and trick it into doing what I want.

I agree that the what and why part changes as the body changes and adapts to the current regimen (food, exercise etc) and because we are all aging. I am 67 and I have to keep getting my head around that fact and the changes aging can bring about. Always a work in progress.
  #987   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 07:49
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Jason Fung
Stats: 173.4/144.2/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Today I plan to evaluate what I am doing and why. I continue to do a 12-16 hour fast daily but although I have intended to stretch my fasting period out I find myself getting too hungry and shaky and needing to eat, especially in the morning. I have cut my carbs down from 20 to 12 and I am keeping my proteins strictly at 60 or less and that seems to have allowed my bg's to go lower. So today I am going to try to determine if I should just go with where I am and not try to tweak things further in this bordering on obsessive kind of playing with my diet I have been doing. So my overarching question today is "what am I trying to accomplish?" I suspect that I need to relax and go with how I am now eating and instead focus on including more exercise into my life. I will never become a gym rat but I think getting back to strength training is a good first step. I do walk the dog daily and now that the snow and ice has mostly melted (although it snowed a bit last night) walking a fair distance every day is possible without having to worry about slipping and breaking bones.

Jean

I am right where you are. Needing to decide what it is I want to accomplish. I'm going to be 60 years old, how do I want to live out the rest of my life? I am still floundering around reading everything I can and sometimes the info is conflicting, such as the whey protein, Janet. Joe, I personally have a big container of pea protein that I'm not sure I'll ever use now. I read a comment on the patient protocol where a patient was thanking Dr Fung and Megan for helping him set up his fasting schedule . He skips breakfasts every morning, has lunch every day and has dinner 4 times a week. Basically, he has a 12 hr fast and then an 18 hr fast. I'm wondering if that might work for you, Jean, as you would be at the end of your fast during the morning hours instead of the afternoon.
I started that protocol yesterday, but was busy and didn't get my lunch till the twenty hour mark...I should've just kept going, I guess. I feel great, but am concerned I guess, because I still log on my fitness pal, and I am only getting 800 calories (or less) on non fasting days. Granted , they are calories from fat, and carbs are still at 20-29 a day, but is that enough? It's hard to re-train the brain to believe I'm not doing damage to my body. I read everyone's posts, here, you all sound SOOOOO knowledgeable about this, sometimes it scares the crap out of me! (But fasting can cause constipation, as you know, so maybe that's not a bad thing...... ) I did find a naturopath here that is in my network, so I will be calling her for a consult, otherwise, I'm trying to do this on my own (and with this support system here) I'm taking 250 mg metformin twice a day instead of 500....so close to being off of it. It DOES work!well, something is working, anyway. :-( Thank you all for allowing me to ramble on and on

Last edited by Barb8toes : Thu, Apr-09-15 at 07:54.
  #988   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 08:11
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Jason Fung
Stats: 173.4/144.2/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb8toes
I am right where you are. Needing to decide what it is I want to accomplish. I'm going to be 60 years old, how do I want to live out the rest of my life? I am still floundering around reading everything I can and sometimes the info is conflicting, such as the whey protein, Janet. Joe, I personally have a big container of pea protein that I'm not sure I'll ever use now. I read a comment on the patient protocol where a patient was thanking Dr Fung and Megan for helping him set up his fasting schedule . He skips breakfasts every morning, has lunch every day and has dinner 4 times a week. Basically, he has a 12 hr fast and then an 18 hr fast. I'm wondering if that might work for you, Jean, as you would be at the end of your fast during the morning hours instead of the afternoon.
I started that protocol yesterday, but was busy and didn't get my lunch till the twenty hour mark...I should've just kept going, I guess. I feel great, but am concerned I guess, because I still log on my fitness pal, and I am only getting 800 calories (or less) on non fasting days. Granted , they are calories from fat, and carbs are still at 20-29 a day, but is that enough? It's hard to re-train the brain to believe I'm not doing damage to my body. I read everyone's posts, here, you all sound SOOOOO knowledgeable about this, sometimes it scares the crap out of me! (But fasting can cause constipation, as you know, so maybe that's not a bad thing...... ) I did find a naturopath here that is in my network, so I will be calling her for a consult, otherwise, I'm trying to do this on my own (and with this support system here) I'm taking 250 mg metformin twice a day instead of 500....so close to being off of it. It DOES work!well, something is working, anyway. :-( Thank you all for allowing me to ramble on and on

Oops. I miss-spoke, the fast I mentioned as 12-18 hrs is actually 18-24.
  #989   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 14:51
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Hi all. Been a while since I've posted. In the middle of trying to get 100% of senior project done by Monday. I have stuff to report. First: saw my doctor today who did my A1c. I went from 10.6 to 6.3. I have lost total from my first visit in early January of 14lbs. (3 months) my blood pressure was 127/74.

As for as fasting goes, still doing MWF fast till dinner and I notice in the last two weeks that instead of slightly bigger dinners on fast days that I am eating less than I do on eating day's dinners. I just am not that hungry. And all my meals are Keto and just a reminder I am type 2. My doctor change my description to Diabetic well controlled She doesn't even care that I don't take any meds she tells me to take. She was thrilled. But not as much as I was.
  #990   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 15:31

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

"what am I trying to accomplish?" and "what am I doing and why" are the key questions to keep coming back to. It is so easy to make ourselves crazy I know I have to keep coming back to these as a check and balance. My goal: lower my blood glucose. Not lose weight. Not eat the perfect amount of fat. Etc. The one thing I am trying to make myself do is if I want to change ONE thing in my plan that I commit to it for a specific length of time before I make another change. This slows down the rush to implement every new idea I read about. And it allows for an easier time in evaluating if the change made any difference to my overall goal.

Lessara, those are fabulous results! I hope someday the health care provider will write on your record: Diabetes - Resolved!!!!!
Closed Thread