Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-06, 16:35

Plan: cut out carbs
Stats: 299.2/205.5/168 Female 173cm
BF:41%
Progress: 71%
Default Eczema/dandraft And Pcos

has any one noticed that they have both eczema and dandraft since finding out they have pcos or happen to have a bad case of either who also have pcos?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 21:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/219.5/160 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:OH/MY/GAWD
Progress: 18%

Hi Nicola,

Yes, I have both eczema and dandruff. I have really awful eczema in the coldest part of the winter as well as the hottest part of the summer. I thought at one point it was triggered by something I was eating but if it is, I can't find a pattern. I've always had dandruff but never thought it was linked to PCOS. Do you have any research on this issue? If so, I'd love to read it. Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 18:49

nope thats the problem i wouldnt know where to begin, i also think there is a link in sleep as well, cause i think (self dianostic) that my sleep hormone melatonin is messed up cause of PCOS and is the reason i cant get to sleep easily at night
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 14:49
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

PCOS and eczema are signs of vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D also promotes hair and scalp health so I suppose dandruff can also be linked.

Vitamin D also sets circadian rhythms, i.e. sleep patterns.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 22:49

Stats: 233/219.5/160 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:OH/MY/GAWD
Progress: 18%

I think there's a PCOS link to sleep patterns too. I have the hardest time STAYING asleep once I go. And, because I have such a difficult time, I'm ALWAYS tired. I found something on that a while ago...I'll have to search and see if I can can find it again. If so, I'll post it.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 07:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
PCOS and eczema are signs of vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D also promotes hair and scalp health so I suppose dandruff can also be linked.

Vitamin D also sets circadian rhythms, i.e. sleep patterns.

but i have read that its only the case in people with pcos when it comes to every day tiredness, where as my problem is im never tired enough TO fall asleep but once i am asleep i can sleep 10hours with out waking

but intresting comment in the vit D thing, what foods can i get that in?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 12:54
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnikx
but i have read that its only the case in people with pcos when it comes to every day tiredness, where as my problem is im never tired enough TO fall asleep but once i am asleep i can sleep 10hours with out waking

but intresting comment in the vit D thing, what foods can i get that in?
Only oily fish, mackerel, sardines, herring, and cod liver oil. Otherwise you can get it from unsunscreened skin in the sun and supplements.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 12:57

well that explains why i have all this stuff lol i never eat none of that
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 14:22

Stats: 217/217/154 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

i get really bad dandruff when i eat anything that has yeast in it.....so this is something you guys might want to consider
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 11:41

Plan: Bernstein, M&E
Stats: 179/163.3/118 Female 5'4'
BF:2darnmuch
Progress: 26%

That yeast sensitivity....I know about that...I never could decide if it was the bread or the yeast, but I am much better off not having either yeast or flour in my life...at least for today.

I am doing a heavy Vitamin D protocol and my dandruff and excema has cleared up. The excema at times has been closer to seborrheic dermatitis than excema.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 06:58

Stats: 217/217/154 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

really!! I think i better consider increasing my vit d intake, cos my dandruff gets reallly bad and can be embarassing
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 15:07

well since readin the sugestion about avoidin all yeast my dandraft has stayed the same, and the eczema has increased so not sure my problem is linked with the yeast intake, im guessin maybe stress?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: General/Atkins
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 8%

I have extreme eczema and psoriasis. It shows up at different parts of my body. For the last few years it is on my scalp to the point my hair was falling out, and my scalp was bleeding. I couldn't sleep due to the itch and burn. I couldn't wear dark shirts because the psoriasis "scales" would fall out and look like dandruff. I tried over the counter things, didn't even work a tad. I went to the deratologist and went through tons of meds then finally a steroid foam worked. It was suck a relief. every 6 months I have to switch to a new one because it stops working. Please see your dermatologist, it makes a world of difference.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 21:49

yeh it stops workin cause ur body gets used to it, same as wen in the gym u have to change the routine cause it gets to easy after a while, shampoos do the same as well, one month it will make ur hair shiny the next few months it woke work as well, then if u chnage it for a while to another brand then come back to 3 months later it will work again
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 20:32

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 277/253/165 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 21%

Don't know what causes it, but a cream or grease with sulfur in it will clear it up right away. I know it's odd, but I used Shapley's MTG. It's normally used on horse but....it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjenxs
Hi Nicola,

Yes, I have both eczema and dandruff. I have really awful eczema in the coldest part of the winter as well as the hottest part of the summer. I thought at one point it was triggered by something I was eating but if it is, I can't find a pattern. I've always had dandruff but never thought it was linked to PCOS. Do you have any research on this issue? If so, I'd love to read it. Thanks.