Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 02:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 7 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Exclamation This is crazy...

Hi there!

Do any of you go to FertileThoughts? I used to go there all the time, but I don't enjoy it as much anymore because the forums there are not as friendly as they used to be! Well, I mentioned the Dr. Atkin's Diet and felt as though I was being attacked!!! Has this ever happened to you all anywhere??? Has anyone ever told you that the Dr. Atkin's Diet is not a good one?

I guess I am just amazed because my husband, sister, and brother-in-law are all physician. My father is a semi-retired orthodontist (one of the best!) and my sister is a family dentist. My brother-in-law is a dietician. So, I have talked with all of them about nutrition and dietary needs, but then I go to this one forum at FT and she is very skeptical & negative about everything about the Atkins Diet.... It was just plain 'ole crazy if you ask me!!! LOL

Have any of you run across a reaction like this?

Christy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 03:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Has anyone ever told you that the Dr. Atkin's Diet is not a good one?

Never been to Fertile Thoughts, but in general yes.

Low-carbing can cure PCOS - look at the SoulCysters web site - so you think that anyone would try and find out as much as they can about the cure.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 16:21
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you so much Karen! I am so glad I am not alone! Atkins diet is such a wonderful program and can be adapted to individuals. I love it! I absolutely love it! It makes me feel so much better and the weightloss that goes along with it is nice too! LOL!

Sorry, I had to come here and vent about this situation. Are we allowed to vent here? I hope it was ok. I love it here! I learn so much from you experienced low-carbers!! I haven't felt this wonderful in a long time!! Thank you for all who took a part in setting these forums up! I am forever grateful!

Christy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Default I agree

I agree Christy, this forum is a gigantic help! I also believe that LC is the answer for PCOS. I believe that having PCOS is like being a diabetic. You have to follow a controlled diet for the rest of your life probably, but it can be controlled with the right committment.
I went to soul sisters a few times, but all they wanted to talk about is diabeta and Met, it seemed to me. I really would like to do this naturally if that is at all possible.

Patience is a virtue and I think if the diet if followed fairly strictly and consistantly then the rest will follow. Don't get me wrong...I think Met and diabeta are great tools for women that diet alone will not work for. For some women, it just seems to take that extra boost to get things going, but I want to try this first.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 23:43
Registered Member

BF:

I agree with you too!! LOL!! LC'ing the way to go for our disposition. My husband is a doctor at our local hospital and knows many doctors on the Atkin's Diet. You would be amazed how many medical professionals believe in this diet. So, when I had someone try to debate me as to whether this a 'good-for-me' lifestyle change, I was really surprised!!

What is Diabeta? Is this a new med? I am not sure I am understanding this term. I am familiar with Metformin & have heard wonderful things about it, but personally have never been on it! My husband says I should talk with my Ob/Gyn about it though at least as an option. I am like you, I want to manage my body naturally through a change in eating style. So, I'll wait & see.

Spring, do you have PCOS? I can't remember for sure... I just want to compare notes with you all... There are so many similarities between us!

Sincerely,
Christy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 05:14

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Cure for PCOS???

Karen,

Don't want to be argumentative and really not trying to be.

But there is no cure for PCOS. Either by diet or medication.

Of course LC and meds in some cases improve it dramatically. I so wish LC would cure this awful disease! But it doesn't.

I just wouldn't want someone who's new at having PCOS thinking there is a cure and then getting very discouraged when they learn there isn't. I'm really not trying to be the bearer of bad news here girls. I'm sorry.

I WISH THERE WAS A CURE FOR ALL OF US WITH PCOS !!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 10:02
Registered Member

BF:
Default Maybe not cure, but control symptoms

This diet may not be a "cure" for PCOS, but it may be able to make it manageable. There is no "cure" for diabetes either, but there are ways that through diet and exercise it can be managed and helped. I think whether it can be cured or not depends a lot on what triggered the problem in the first place. All I know is the improvement that I have seen in my daughter in less than two weeks time. I may be new to PCOS, but my ex-husband had insulin-related problems and my mother was a diabetic. I know diet helped both of them. I did not know of Adkins diet at the time, but the diabetic diet is much the same. I know you don't want us to have false hope, but hope is what I need right now. I am seeing results for my daughter and I am thrilled!

Mom-of-2, I do not have PCOS but my daughter does. She is soon to be 18 and is doing so well. I am encouraged. Her weight is going down, her attitude is changing, her depression is getting less and less and her energy is coming back up and even her period has come back. No, I don't expect a miracle and I don't expect everything to be "cured", but I will take what I can get!

Gracia, I know there is no cure and that it can get very frustrating to deal with this day after day, year after year. I wish there was a cure too. At least we have more of a chance now to improve the condition than we did before it was recognized as a insulin resistance problem. It's a start and I guess we have to be satisfied with that for now. Maybe some day, the doctors will come up with a cure for diabetes, PCOS, and insulin-resistance. Until then, we just have to research and learn on our own...trial and error...and hope to control the symptoms.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 10:25

BF:
Smile I absolutely 200% agree!

Yup, you're absolutely right! We're both saying sort of the same thing but in a different way. The one thing I didn't say, but I agree on, is having hope. I think we should all have it, just not the false kind.

You and I (and lots of people) know that there is no cure for PCOS (my husband, and many people in my family are diabetic so I of course know about that as well). But some newbie who doesn't get all the info from her doctor might come here for answers and not know there isn't a cure or get confused. That's all I was trying to get at.

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter having PCOS. I certainly think that LC is a miracle for many people. I personally love Metformin as well but I understand those wanting to keep it natural. Unfortunately that route did not work for me.

I know my words might have not been said in the best way, but trust me... they weren't meant to hurt, or discourage anyone. I of all people know how important it is to have hope in this situation. I'm still trying to get pregnant with no end in site! So believe me... I'd be the last person to try to discourage someone... I just like to keep it real!

Hope you all understand!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 22:09
Registered Member

BF:
Default I do understand

Gracia, I have not been through this myself, but I think I can understand part of your frustration. Sometimes, I think it would almost be easier to deal with it for myself than watch my daughter hurt. Then I think of you and others yearning for children and I just pray that you will be able to have your child. The frustration and agony of that is something that I want so much to be able to help my daughter avoid. I am hoping that since she is starting the program so young that it will help her before she wants children.

Is the Met helping to regulate your periods? I will get my daughter on that if the diet doesn't work. She went on and started a full period, so I am so hopeful. We will just have to wait and see what happens next month. I was thinking about getting one of those fertility monitors and checking to see if she is actually ovulating. Do you think that would be a good way to keep a check on how her body is behaving. I have had all the bloodwork at the doctors and it always shows everything is normal....grrrrrrrrr....so I can't turn to them for many answers.

I am out of work right now and have no insurance so that is another reason we have to figure alot of this out....I hope with the help of people that are experienced with this problem, as you are.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 07:54

BF:
Default Hi.

Metformin has helped me a great deal. And yes I do get "almost" regular periods on it. I've heard that it doesn't always work on everyone, but I strongly believe that you have to hit the dosage that's right for you. In lots of cases, having met and LC at the same time is absolutely a miracle for our bodies. I've heard it SOOOOOO many times. The thing I like about met is that it's not harmful to our bodies as some other diabetes medications are. Yes you have the side effects in the beginning. But they don't last for ever and the benefits sure exeed the beginning discomforts! (For me anyways).

As for pregnancy, well it's only a dream for me right now. I believe that when God is willing for me to have one (IF), then it shall be so. I do not want to become obsessed with it and have it rule my life, and be forever miserable because of it. I have a wonderful husband who also gets confused in all of this. I strongly believe that he tries to protect me too much and makes himself seem like a brute at times so the blame will pass on him instead of people pointing the finger at my incapability to conceive.

I've never used a ovulating kit. I do know that they can be quite pricy. So I cannot comment on them. Why not try the basal body temperature route? It's way cheaper and you can tell when someone ovulates by the fluctuation and drop of temperature. That way you could monitor it every month.