Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 09:10

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

just have the meatballs. hehehehe

I like the IKEA meatballs....yum yum. But gravy-beware hahaha...
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 20:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/147.4/125 Male 160cm
BF:
Progress: 23%

actually i have been in myanmar for 10 months... food here is always oily and with lots of sugar and strarch... but the good thing here is " it's cheap!" a whole steam fish with soup only cost about 4SGD! so i always order a whole fish and i can only finish maybe 1/4 of it, the rest i package back for my workers... hehe

and it's the season for fruits now... 200g of strawberry selling as cheap as 40 cents to 50 cents... hehe... i am enjoying strawberry almost everyday...

going back to singapore for a break by end of this month, i am afraid i will not be able to follow lc diet strictly when i eat with my frens....
  #213   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 20:51

Plan: aa
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 1.8m
BF:
Progress:

Wha........ I'm seeing more Singaporeans into LC........

I started Atkins 6 weeks ago...... and now still on induction. I find it tough to calculate the carbs intake so I jux stay below the 20g allowance.

I'm lucky i must say..... I have been eating at home for every meals since I started Atkins..... I drive and I go home for lunch everyday..... Till now.. I only had 2 meals outside...... Once is to bring my mum out.. the other is a buddy's wedding.

Till now... i still din cheat... though I have some cravings every now and then....... I dunno how much I lost...... but certainly I am losing.....
Clothes getting loose.. and friends who saw me recently said that they could see the difference..

Anyway..... I dun think you can find splenda here...... but I found sweetNlow...... Its in Bishan Ntuc.......
  #214   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 21:47

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 51.5/47/42 Female 5'1"/155CM
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi guys,

I found splenda on this website: Splenda ~ AIWO

Perhaps you can purchase from them, they're sold in handle sachets which you can take around with you when you're out.

Also I will be travelling to OZ early next month, and I do not mind helping you guys get splenda should you need any.

Splenda is sold in 120g boxes of granular splenda and tablet cases of 300 tablets each. Granular would be the type you use for cooking while the tablets come in handy when you're taking your beverages.

The 120g boxes cost AU$8.00 while the tablet boxes cost AU$6.00 each. Let me know if you need any.

Last edited by SGMeerkat : Thu, Apr-14-05 at 21:57.
  #215   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 04:50

BF:

i really miss spagetti... is there anyplace i can get low carb spagetti in singapore?
  #216   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 20:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMeerkat
Hi guys,

I found splenda on this website: Splenda ~ AIWO

Perhaps you can purchase from them, they're sold in handle sachets which you can take around with you when you're out.

Also I will be travelling to OZ early next month, and I do not mind helping you guys get splenda should you need any.

Splenda is sold in 120g boxes of granular splenda and tablet cases of 300 tablets each. Granular would be the type you use for cooking while the tablets come in handy when you're taking your beverages.

The 120g boxes cost AU$8.00 while the tablet boxes cost AU$6.00 each. Let me know if you need any.

Hi SGMeerkat,

Mind to tell me when will you be coming back from Aus? I will be back to Singapore only temporarily from 23 April 05 to 15 May 05. Then i will have to go to Myanmar again.

If you are willing to buy some splenda for me, can I transfer the money to you via bank transfer? I can pick it up from you at your convenience after that as I'm on leave when I'm in Singapore.
  #217   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 08:25

BF:

I will be in Melbourne from 8th-11th May. So if you'ld like to get a box or two, I can purchase them first, and we'll sort out the payment when I'm back. Then I'll be able to give an exact exchange rate as well. It's no worry.

Just let me know what you need.
  #218   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 20:57

BF:

In that case can you get two box of each type (both granular and tablet form) for me?

many thanks to u first!
  #219   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 23:34

Stats: 110/97/90 Female 170
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Just wondering, are there any plans in the pipeline for arranging another Singapore low-carb (feast) meetup? It's been quite awhile since the last one, huh? Would really like to meet each and everyone
  #220   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 08:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanloh
In that case can you get two box of each type (both granular and tablet form) for me?

many thanks to u first!

Alright, I've taken note of it, please send me your contact number in PM. Thanks.
  #221   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 20:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMeerkat
Alright, I've taken note of it, please send me your contact number in PM. Thanks.

tried to PM u but can't access it...

anyway, my hp number is 90629805, will be back in singapore/malaysia from 21/4/05 till 14/5/05.

thanks...
  #222   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 02:26

BF:

Hi tristan, I've got your number... I've never used the inbox on this board, but thanks for posting it up. You might want to edit that post and remove your number for privacy reasons.
  #223   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 05:46

Plan: Personal
Stats: -/-/- Female 157cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I'm a newbie on a diet that's trying to be low-carb...but not always successful! :P I'm so glad to know so many sg-eans out there like me...perpetually getting stared at by pple cos we throw away our rice/bread/potatoes...heehee Especially since I find the easiest thing (and cheapest) to do when buying lunch at work is to go to the economical rice stall and order rice with the dishes, and throw away the rice, which always gets me stares from my colleagues. :P

I find that the hardest part of the diet is eating meat...I'm so used to avoiding meat that it's hard to start eating it again. I tend to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables so I don't think I'll be able to stick to the Induction phase of the Atkins diet...did anyone try the diet without going thru the Induction? Would love to get as much advice as possible from everyone
  #224   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 05:36

BF:

Hi saffy, welcome to the world of lowcarbing

If you have difficulty consuming meat, you can always try other protein substitutes such as fish or eggs. You can have fish soup or yong tau foo (without the fish meat paste stuffing). Alternatively you can also use whey protein shakes to replace the protein requirement in the diet, these can be easily gotten from GNC or Nature's Farm. Whey protein drinks are also handy too... you can have your veggies for lunch and the drink as a dessert!

But if you prefer just plenty of veggies, perhaps you can consider going onto the South Beach Diet instead. The atkins diet advises that you stick strictly to the list of induction foods and 2-3 cups of veggies a day. Many people confuse the atkins diet with other forms of LC diets and then think that they're on atkins when they're not. I think that Dr Agaston of the SBD advises plenty of veggies, and also low fat content, whereas Dr Atkins advocates that you maintain a diet with a fat/protein/carb percentage of 60/30/10. Many asians find that hard to stick to.

Also, fruits are not acceptable in any form during Induction, even so in SBD, because the fruit sugars present in fruits would trigger off your insulin levels... causing your cravings for carbs to return, rather than to go away. The first two weeks are the most crucial because it helps you overcome your body's dependence and addiction to carbohydrates. But if you really must have fruit, you could pick berries. They are the lowest in sugar content. Papaya, oranges, mangoes are no-nos. Tropical fruits tend to contain a large amount fruit sugars.

Maybe you can try eating more "qing cai"/green leafy vegetables and have eggs and fish, so you needn't worry about consuming meat. Just hang in there for the first two weeks of induction. Thereafter you can have add in 1 more cup of veggies and then follow the carbohydrate ladder... where you can add more in the following order: veggies, then cheese, then nuts, followed by fruits, etc.

Once you've gotten the hang of this diet, you'll soon be able to find what foods you're comfortable with and how you personally are going to approach this diet and what suits you best. That's when you'll really come to enjoy living this way and losing weight! And the stares won't be on that wasted rice, but on you

Good luck!
  #225   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 06:25
Registered Member

Plan: General low-carb
Stats: 183.4/178/147.7 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 15%

This is somewhat off topic, I'm sorry.

I am going to Singapore 5th june-19th june and I'm going to stay at a hotel, so I won't be able to cook my own food. I have two questions, first of all I would like to know if there are any (low-carb) restaurants you'd recommend.

Secondly I wonder which the "must see" things are? I am going to spend most of my time at the Expo (Communicasia), but I'll have 2 weekends to check out the sights

Kind regards

/Jenny