Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 04:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Found a newly published Science Salon talk by Taubes, sponsored by Skeptic Society, taped in Jan.

5 min. Clip: https://youtu.be/fgt_GCSQ_ss

1 hour talk: https://youtu.be/Xz2NO-qd0hw
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 04:31

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I'll bet when he was studying physics he didn't think all this would happen
  #123   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 12:57

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I was impressed with this book. I can see why it got such respectful reviews or at least that's how they seemed to me, the ones I read. I didn't see any of the usual snark or "all things in moderation" b.s. I thought it was quite convincing.

I noticed in the very back of the book he acknowledges Sugar Blues, by William Dufty, describing it as a big best seller. I remember reading that back then and uncomfortably recognizing the truth of it as I went about eating sugar for the next few decades. Sadly.

I think there is at least some support for "no sugar" these days.
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 03:24

Such support Gary Taubes has become a "Health Icon". I posted the details in the U.K. Forum, but The Royal Society of Medicine is having a TWO day event, talks, discussions, dinner, etc with Gary Taubes, Nov 18-19. He's a Health Icon now?!?
https://re-findhealth.com/event/hea...es-gary-taubes/
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 04:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

When did they say the Nobel Prize will be awarded???
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 16:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Such support Gary Taubes has become a "Health Icon". I posted the details in the U.K. Forum, but The Royal Society of Medicine is having a TWO day event, talks, discussions, dinner, etc with Gary Taubes, Nov 18-19. He's a Health Icon now?!?
https://re-findhealth.com/event/hea...es-gary-taubes/

Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
When did they say the Nobel Prize will be awarded???

Chemistry or writing?
  #127   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-17, 14:34

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Bad sugar or bad journalism? An expert review of “The Case Against Sugar”.

http://www.stephanguyenet.com/bad-s...-against-sugar/

There was an interesting rebuttal from someone with Type I diabetes, saying Type Is understood the best about metabolism, carbs and sugar.

Anybody read The Hungry Brain? I don't quite know why Stephan Guyenet rejects the insulin hypothesis, or understand his own, but then I don't read his blog hardly. According to one reviewer on Amazon:

Quote:
Here is a quick summary of his advice for readers: 1. Don't eat calorie-dense foods. 2. Move more. 3. Get more sleep. 4. Reduce stress.

Thus if you need more detailed advice, then don't buy this book.

I think those are valid points, and obvious. It seems to me that the insulin hypothesis is equally obvious, at least for some. Maybe the theoretical differences come down to individualistic differences in bodies. I've been pleasantly surprised to read more and more advice lately that there is no one diet best for everyone.
  #128   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-17, 15:26

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I just finished my bowl of pecan and sugar-free cherry koolaid icecream. I'm feeling a bit sleepy and relaxed. I guess 3 out of 4 isn't bad. 4 out of 5 is even better, if you believe in insulin.

There is a bit of air in the ice cream, so I guess it's relatively less calorie-dense.
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-18, 11:41

New essay in the BMJ:

What if sugar is worse than just empty calories? An essay by Gary Taubes

http://www.bmj.com/content/360/bmj.j5808.full
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 08:14

EDIT: Not new, this was actually from Dec 2016 but is making the rounds and has new comments on it, so the dates confused me. Classic essay on the case against sugar by Gary Taubes in Aeon.

The case against sugar
A potent toxin that alters hormones and metabolism, sugar sets the stage for epidemic levels of obesity and diabetes

https://aeon.co/essays/sugar-is-a-t...ons-for-disease

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-23-18 at 11:18.
  #131   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 06:40

This is a January 2018 article, and it has just occurred to this doctor that a drink of water, corn syrup and a processed milk protein is not good nutrition.

Sugary Shakes in the Hospital Aren’t Good Medicine

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/...ner=rss&emc=rss

About the only good news in this sad article, is that the doctor author is a resident...so he is young, coming into the system with new views and he may later change hospital management orders to buy these drinks from Nestle etc...that will be in about 30 years. in the meantime...maybe more patients and their family caregivers will stop pretending sugar water is food.

From a recent visit to a local chemo infusion room...both Boost and Ensure were in the kitchen in a variety of flavors...to have along with cookie packets.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-25-18 at 08:41.
  #132   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 09:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I am appalled regarding the meals served in hospitals having experienced this "food" several years ago. Breakfast is nothing but sugar, and is all processed crap like cinnamon-sweetened instant oatmeal, orange juice, watery (probably decaf) coffee with skim milk and your choice of sugar or AS for the coffee, with a blueberry muffin (fruit, must be healthy) thrown in for filler. Lunch and dinner are replete with starches and desserts. Veggies are likely harvested and put in cans 10 years prior to serving. No protein to speak of and the kitchen staff probably thinks bacon, eggs, and other meats are horrendously unhealthy.

It occurred to me that this is a nice vertical in that feeding people food that causes or extends their health problems keeps the customers coming back.
  #133   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 11:25

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I am appalled regarding the meals served in hospitals having experienced this "food" several years ago.

The last time I was in the hospital I got tasty but very high carb meals - in spite of letting them know I was diabetic. Or maybe because I was diabetic. Even tho it was a planned surgery, I didn't plan the meals very well. If I should be in that situation again, I'll be well prepared!
  #134   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 12:11

Plan: restrict carbs
Stats: 210/170/160 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

i was just in the hospital for 5 days getting high dose prednisone IV. you would think they may want to cut back some of the carbs since prednisone shoots up the blood glucose level. if i would have eaten everything they fed it would have been between 75 - 100 grams of carbs per meal. needless to say i ate very picky to reduce the carbs but due to lack of real food, stayed hungry most of the time.
gw
  #135   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 13:40
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

My wife had surgery last Tuesday morning and spent the following night in the hospital. We had to leave home at 5am to be all checked in by 6am. My wife couldn't eat and I didn't have time. While my wife was off having her H done I walked around the hospital and came across the cafeteria. Much to my surprise they had a breakfast area with bacon, ham, sausage, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, and fried eggs. There were grits, biscuits and gravy options as well - but I was happy that I could have a good VLC breakfast for just a few bucks. A generous serving of scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage cost me just $4.00.

After the surgery I was there when my wife was given her meal options for lunch and dinner. Every option was firmly rooted in the food pyramid. Carbs, carbs, and more carbs. Before she was even fully awake they were having her nibble on saltine crackers. My wife had actually been doing well on her low carb diet all month. That all ended with the hospital food options. I had suggested that she might want to bring some OP food. She opted not to. She ordered the least carby option... chicken noodle soup with gritty hospital Jello on the side.