Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 20:12

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Back after a horrible absence

I had my first experience with LC in Jan 2015. I ended up losing 80 lbs in 10 months. I never felt better. On the night before thanksgiving my boyfriend and I decided to have some drinks. Which led to us devouring an entire pumpkin pie. I never went back to LC after that nor did I stop drinking. 6 months later I ended up on Prozac. Fast forward a few years and after drinking everyday I gained all of my weight back plus more. I ended up i the hospital twice with “substance induced suicidal thoughts”. The second hospitalization was a Suicide attempt which was a success. I flatlined 3 times and they were getting ready to call it when my heart started again. I remember nothing except waking up in the critical care unit on a ventilator. I have 53 days sober today and they are leaning towards a diagnosis of bipolar and anxiety. I am on meds and after reading about my meds (I don’t like taking anything unless I do research on it) I read that a lot of people with bipolar, depression and anxiety find that the LC life helps a lot. Then I remembered the book “Grain Brain” that I read that discusses how food can affect our moods. So here I am back starting again today. I’m ready. I felt my best doing LCHF and that is what I’m sticking with. I’m looking forward to talking with everyone because I met some great people on here 3 years ago.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 21:25

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Welcome back sweetie!
What a hard time you had. My DD has a similar background. I wish she would try a LC lifestyle to help with bipolar disease. Many of her medications make her hungry and make her gain weight. When she is manic, the weight drops dramatically. She started out at 98 lbs and now is 256 lbs. We know that the medications she takes are critical to her mental health, but they will make her gain weight. It does not help that she eats poorly. Fast food junk, pop, sugar, candy, cookies, etc.

Looks like you are doing the right thing by taking control of your health by using a LCHF/keto lifestyle. Keep up the good work!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 04:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Good for you taking control of your health. Keep posting and maybe if you don't already start a journal. It's a good way of recording your thoughts and looking back on. You will find lots of useful information on here and people happy to support you when you struggle with food choices. It isn't always easy sticking to LC but we all understand that and all of us benefit from sharing with like minded people.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 11:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Welcome back! Yes, there’s research on keto and lots of brain concerns- positive effects for things from bipolar to memory loss to seizures to plain old brain fog.

You are on a whole new journey. 53 days clean is an amazing achievement, and you’ve made through Xmas! Hang in there, low-carb is also just one day at a time and before you know it you’ll have a whole history of this woe.

You can do this.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 14:05

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Welcome back, Glad to see that you back. After reading your intro, this WOE and lifestyle is for you. Never let anyone make you stray from this path again. Please start a journal and keep posting on here. I am going to be following you. Stay strong and don't make LCHF difficult.

I lost 63 last year then gain it back due to my dads death and so on. I am back and will not let anyone or thing derail me.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 21:05

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrracing
Welcome back, Glad to see that you back. After reading your intro, this WOE and lifestyle is for you. Never let anyone make you stray from this path again. Please start a journal and keep posting on here. I am going to be following you. Stay strong and don't make LCHF difficult.

I lost 63 last year then gain it back due to my dads death and so on. I am back and will not let anyone or thing derail me.

Thanks. He didn’t make me stray - I did it myself. I will take the blame for that. It’s kind of like how my family wants to blame the guy I’ve been dating for my drinking. It wasn’t his fault either. He was as just as much in the dark about it as they were. I am learning to take responsibility for all of my actions. The good and the bad. I have a journal. It’s from three years ago and Ive been reading over it to give myself good pointers (again). I’m not going from memory so I am pretending I know nothing and starting from scratch.