Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 04:28

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%
Talking Elisa's quest for "my new, improved me"

Ok, I decided to follow dogbone's suggestion and start a gym log. I'm experimenting with a new routine so it'll help me track my progress and at the same time share stuff with others, like what works and what doesn't (for me, that is).

Today I started the 14-day Body Scultping Workout, Weeks 1-2, from The Body Sculpting Bible for Women. The authors are big believers in free weights, so there are no machine-based exercises in this workout (at least not in the first 2 weeks).

I have done free weights before, like for bicep curls, Back Rows, Shoulder presses, but machines are much easier because you don't need nearly as much skill as you need for free weights - the machine guides your movement, you don't have to use your own balance, core muscles, etc nearly as much on a machine. Result: my workouts have been performed on machines exclusively for the longest time. And needless to say, I wasn't thrilled with my progress of late.

So I was excited to start this free-weight workout. To make sure I did the exercises properly, I drilled them one by one (just the ones for today) before I went to the gym, following the directions in the book - I sure didn't want to get injured the first day! (not that I plan on later, but you know, there's something particularly embarassing and annoying about getting hurt the first day you try a new routine )

The first 2 weeks of the 14-day workout you do modified compound supersets - that is, you do 1 set of the first exercise, rest, do 1 set of the second exercise, rest, then start over. There are 8 exercises in total, paired up in 4 (modified compound) supersets:
#1: Back & Chest
One-arm Row
Pushups (I'm a wimp, so I did Flat Barbell Presses instead)

#2: Shoulders & Calves
DB Shoulder Press
1-leg DB Calf Raises

#3: Biceps & Triceps
DB Bicep Curls
Overhead Tricep Extensions

#4: Thighs & Hamstrings
DB Squats
Stiff-legged Deadlifts

I started with very light weights because I wanted to focus on my form - I made a grid so I was taking note of which exercises I can do with heavier weights the next time, and on which ones I should stick with the low weights.

I decided to try training my calves: apparently training my calves will have a stabilizing effect on my knees, so I thought that'd be good; also, the rep range recommended is higher than the other exercises so I they should thicken up much. I found that for the time being, I should stick with doing the calf raises without any weight - at least the single-leg ones. The rest is ok.

I was really surprised about my lower body: the leg press was simply not challenging anymore, even when I upped the weight - I didn't really feel as if my muscles were being challenged But after two sets each of Squats and Deadlifts, my legs were SINGING!

Boy I loved this routine. I could feel my muscles so much more. And because I have to focus on the muscle and on my form, I don't get bored and space out, so my workout is done faster (or at least it feels like it! ) and I felt so much stronger afterwards than I ever felt when performing exercises on the machines! Amazing - I didn't think it would make such a difference

Afterwards I did 25 minutes on the stationary bike, then stretched.

I already love this routine and on Sunday I'll experiment with lunges, ballet squats, tricep kickbacks, 2-leg calf raises and upright rows... plus deadlifts, squats and 1-leg calf raises, which I already did today Boy, this is going to be good I feel like I might actually reach my body goals!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 06:54

BF:

I'm on a lighter regimen now because I'm in P2- I'll go back to my full weight workout once in P3.

So here's what I did today:

Winsor Pilates, 20 minutes
Upper body strength training* (see below for details)
Elliptical trainer, 20 minutes
stretching

*Upper body exercises (3 sets of 6-10)
- db overhead press
- bench side lateral raise
- machine chin-up
- close-grip front pulldown
- db bench press
- db bicep curl
- tricep pressdown
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-11, 08:04

BF:
Smile Starting anew

wow - it had been a long time since I posted in my journal, but as it turns out, it has been even longer since I posted in my gym log!

I have to be honest, I no longer think of traditional strength training as the right type of exercise to achieve the body shape I want. I put on muscle fairly easily, much more easily than I shed fat; and because I am curvy I can look a little bulky. No, what I am looking for is long, lean muscles to balance out the curves, and I think that barre-based classes/workouts are a better way for me to achieve that.

I believe pilates is great for core strength but I don't think it targets the whole body properly - ballet and barre classes take care of that. I think that a program including cardio and a mix of yoga and barre work (working muscles using body weight and light weights) will do the job. I am also looking into Tracy Anderson, after seeing the results a friend of mine who was already in pretty good shape had - she is the leanest she has ever been, with nicely defined arms and legs, and a totally flat tunny, after 4 kids! Amazing.

Right now however I need to keep my exercise to a minimum, while on the 500-calorie portion of the HCG diet. Even knowing how it works, knowing that my body isn't going into starvation mode as long as I get my protein and drops and everything in, it's still a little freaky to say that out loud: 500 calories!

I feel pretty good though.Today I have a light headache, as I usually do on my third day off sugar and carbs. But I think a short nap, lots of water and a bit of rebounding will take care of that.

My exercise plan for the foreseeable future:
- from now until the end of P2 (March 9th): 5-10 minutes of rebounding daily, a light yoga practice (no more than 20 minutes), a walk on sunny days, when the mood strikes
- P3 (March 31st, after reintroducing good fats/oils and some dairy): 30 minutes cardio (mix of rebounding and walking/elliptical/dancing) 4 days a week, Tracy Anderson Post-Pregnancy workout twice a week, 20-30 min. yoga twice a week
- P4 (April 24th, after reintroducing 1-2 portions of good carbs a day): 45 minutes cardio 3 days a week, Tracy Anderson or other barre workouts (Pure Barre/Cardio Barre/etc) 3 days a week, yoga once a week.

After that, I'll re-assess and maybe start mix-and-matching workouts of different kinds, like those from The Firm, more cardio options like kickboxing, etc.

But for now, I need to stay grounded and take it one day at a time. A mistake I often make is to plan too far in advance in such detail that I get so excited about what's coming next that I lose sight of what I'm supposed to do NOW

So off I go, for a short nap and then 10 minutes of rebounding
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-11, 08:22

BF:
Default P2, D5

10 minutes rebounding
10 minutes yoga