Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 13:57
Registered Member

Plan: Primal
Stats: 165/112/112 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement.

Jean, is the diet doctor's approach for sugar-sensitive people? People who are not sugar sensitive can do a cold turkey approach without prior steps with no problem at all. Being sugar sensitive requires a different approach. I will certainly look it over. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 15:25

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyanne
Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement.

Jean, is the diet doctor's approach for sugar-sensitive people? People who are not sugar sensitive can do a cold turkey approach without prior steps with no problem at all. Being sugar sensitive requires a different approach. I will certainly look it over. Thank you.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "sugar sensitive". There are a series of talks on the member part of the site by an expert in sugar addiction named Bitten Jonsson.She is a sugar addict herself and treats people who have a sugar addiction. You can become a member and get the first month free so you can listen to the talks.

Jean
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 19:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Me? Sugar sensitive? If that means that eating sugar makes me want to eat more sugar which makes me want to eat even more sugar, then HELLS YEAH I am sugar sensitive.

And if I had to do a diet that had me removing foods, one at a time, and the LAST ONE was sugar--I'd never make it. I'd be off plan so quickly!

I really admire you for being able to last this long, if you still haven't cut out the sugar.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 05:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ditto MickiSue...can't believe you have been doing this a year without falling face first into a chocolate cake with a bottle of wine.
As a questioner myself, a little googling shows that "sugar-sensitivity" is a creation of Kathleen DesMaisions, who also created her own degree in "addictive nutrition". The comments that you "have to do the steps in order or eat a potato because it helps say you no to carbs and sugar, is all a tad too cultish without supporting science. Like Jean, I am more than skeptical about any such claims and also suggest following a standard dietary program that eliminate all sugar, grains and alcohol.

Also recommend exercise to tone...here is a great article with photos why the scale is not a good indication of your fitness and size. http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-...addicts-part-2/

Good sleep is a critical part of controlling your cravings, making healthy diet choices. That is the number one item to work on first.
Good advice from Chris Kresser, link to Mark Sisson's with this article/ebook.
http://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-...ep-more-deeply/
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 07:35
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I agree with the others, I'm afraid.

I am a HUGE sugar addict and binge eater, and during a binge could eat more sugary food than you would believe. I tried for years to stop, but had no success until this last time.

My method was to concentrate on just getting rid of sugar FIRST, and forget all other dietary goals for a while. Getting rid of sugar included fruit and any item that had any type of added sugar in it, for instance condiments.

I do agree that breakfast is important during the abstinence phase - I never ate breakfast, and don't eat breakfast now, but during the initial 90 day abstinence phase I ate a high calorie, high fat breakfast of real food and this stopped my cravings effectively. I also ate more than enough calories of real food - no cutting calories while in abstinence.

The other thing I did was log my foods on this forum, which is easily done in your journal and is good for accountability.

I later went on to cut my carbs down and intermittent fast if I wanted to, and have lost some weight since.

Today I am 497 days sugar free and binge free. This is just to show that even the most 'sugar sensitive' person can go cold turkey on sugar and make it work. I knew that a RR type program was not working for me because they wanted me to eat sugar, and eating sugar was just going to lead to binge eating sugar, for me. So I dropped the program and trusted to the wise people on this forum to guide and support me, and committed fully. I have not regretted it.