Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 21:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177.8/170.8/122.1
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Not losing after induction

hiya everyone......
man I have always been so pshyched about following Atkins, except the last few days Im just getting less and less motivated. I am on my 7th week of following induction. I am cnstantly at or under 20 g a day. I lost 3 kgs (6.7lbs) on the first 2 weeks of induction, and have not lost a kg/lb since!!! SHould I start worrying baout candidia or other medical problems? I just feel so frustrated. And no I havent had ne changes in clothes/meausrements, except for them going slightly up!!
I have been walking at reccomended heart rate limit for an hour everyday. I know youll want my day to day foods, so here is an average dya for me:

B-3 eggs, 1 slice fatty bacon

L- chicken, hard boiled egg, ranch dressing OR cauliflower and melted cheese

D-large caesar salad OR steak with broccoli and butter

Snacks- Hard boiled eggs, string cheese, a few squares of no carb chocolate after dinner (not often!!), pork krackles, tuna

I drink about 6L of water a day!! and dont eat artificial sweetners (besides the chocolate). I believe I have read everything there is to read about LCing, so I know I am not consuming any nonLC foods by accident.

Anyway, Is it normal to experience stall for UP TO 4 WEEKS AFTER INDUCTION???

ANyone with past experience with this will be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks,
Carly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 22:28
Registered Member

Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 26%

Carly

Hi ya, I'm from Australia too! Are you in Ketosis?

You say string cheese as a snack, are you talking about the kraft cheese? I would stay away from this one, try one of the tasty cheeses they are alot nice and less carbs. You also don't seem to be getting a lot of fats, you say 1 slice of fatty bacon, but this is the wrong type of fat. You should try flax seed oil (it tastes disgusting, but I mix it with a protein shake and don't even taste it), and don't bother with taking the capsules, you would need to take about 40 a day to get the right amount! . Have you looked at the picture of health website (its aussie)? It's gr8 full of information.

#3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 22:41
Registered Member

BF:

...... and OMG! 6 Litres of water. You must be constantly visting looloo! I can only manage 3 Litres.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 23:20

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi!

It is quite normal for you to experience a slowdown after the initial loss. Remember that the majority of the loss in the first week or so is water. We can only reasonably expect to lose 1-2 lbs of fat a week at most. A "stall" is generally defined as a period of 6 weeks or more without a loss. Everyone is different and will lose at different rates and in different "patterns." For example, I have always been one to lose on somewhat of a cyclical basis. I tend to lose a bit every 4-6 weeks and relatively nothing in between.

I realize that you haven't lost anything since the first 2 weeks, so you may need to shake things up a little bit to jump start the losses again. Don't be afraid of carbs. There are plenty of good carbs out there in the form of low carb veggies. You may want to try incorporating some more of these in your meal plans. Many people have found that increasing their calories in the forms of good fats has helped to get the scales moving again. Also, are you consuming a lot of salt with your foods? This may cause water retention. If you haven't already done so, perhaps you could try tracking your food intake on fitday.com to see if you are perhaps not getting enough calories. It can be a great tool.

Hope this helps.

KC

Great job on the water!!

KC
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 18:27

Stats: 177.8/170.8/122.1
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks for the replies guys.....

I dont know if im in ketosis.cos i dont use the strips, but i was never hungry.,,,
I say was, because i cheatd on the weekend...I spent all saturday eatign anything sugary i could get my hands on...n e way...3 days later and Im back to my original weight that i was before i even started atkins!!! arghhh!

The string cheese is just sticks of mozzerellea by bega, it is only 0.14g per piece, so i dont think its that

I think I am getting enough fat..i eat about 50g mac nuts every 2nd day, fatty ceasar dressing...lots of butter and some cheese on my veggies, fatty mince, sour cream (some) deep fried chicken. So i dont think thats my problem. I was eating a little low carb chocolate at nites, so now im completely emilinating anything that is sweet tasting until i get to my goal!

With the 6L of water, yes i am constanlty on the toilet! LOL But i feel that my body needs that much now since ive been drinking that much

By the way, I am eating a lot of salt, but i dont think i am prepared to give that up! As long as it is only making em retain water, and not fat, than i can handle it. the water cant stick around forever!!

Since my cheat, ive been back on induction for about 3 days. Definitley sticking to it this time, and not letting any stpid stalls make me slip up!!

After the cheat, how long does it take the body to get rid of all the sugar, and get into ketosis again? I feel my appetite has been huuuuge since i cheated, whereas i never had an appetitie! I have also been very moody....

Thanks again for the replies...
Carly!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 19:40
Registered Member

BF:

Carly

Members on the other site (pictureofhealth.com.au) I mentioned that were eating quite a lot of nuts (maccies) realised if they cut them out they started to lose again. Also the choccie is another one that may be stalling you (I was a chocoholic, they I got my hands on the darryl lea choccie and ate a whole bar, like they say on the back about excessive consumption - its all true - haven't touched it again since ).

Also just on your fats, they don't seem to be the good fats, you need to get good doses of Omega 3. For a start try eating some tuna or salmon.

cya later