Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 03:01

Plan: CAD
Stats: 140.5/132/121
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Need help - stalling

Hallo you

I need help on this stalling thing I have lost about 5 kg in the first two weeks and eversince have not lost an ounce. (Four or five weeks) My husband also started the diet and lost 5kg in one week! He is very proud of himself and whenever he sees the ketostick change colour he walks through the house yelling - I'm a fat burning machine!! I wish I was still as positive, although I stick to the diet - it makes me feel good (I used to be tired all day)
My hubbie tells me I eat to much!! I never use to drink coffe with cream etc and now I love it! i test my ketones every day and I know I'm still in ketosis, although I only have traces most of the time - is this the problem? it seems that I am very sensitive to carbs - if I eat the wrong type of Mayo I tend to go out of ketosis.

I would like to try the fat fast - where can I get this exactly? I do not want fancy recipes - I eat straight forward food without wasting time in the kitchen! Can someone please help.
I think my Atkins book was outdated - borrowed it from my uncle
and can't remeber the fat fast.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 08:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Carina, I moved your post to the "Tips, Stalls and Plateaus" section of the forum, where it will get more feedback.

I can tell you that as you have only a few lbs to lose it will be slower for you. At this point it is best to think in terms of percentages and not lbs lost. Losses of 10 - 15 lbs when starting are not unusual but are unusual for those with only a few lbs to lose to get to goal. Nevertheless, 10 lbs for you represents a lot more than it does for someone like me with 80lbs to lose Think percentages and you're going to be much better off.

Fat fast should be described in the Atkins book (I do not have a copy of it myself but I have seen posts refering people to specific pages) IF you would like more detailed information check out the Group Journal thread for the study project done this August / Sept. There were fat fast days incorportared into the one month experiment.

Alternatively I suggest you start up a Journal where you can list your foods and exercise and we may comment and provide some assitance. Be sure to include the quantity and quality of the food you are eating. It is unlikely you're eating too much, generally the problem with stalling is undereating. You should be aiming for 10 - 12 times you body weight in calories a day, minimum.

Best of luck to you, and congrats on both yours and your husbands good health to date
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/148/133
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hiya

You have not a lot of weight to lose so it will take ages for you to get to target , but whats the hurry. The last time I was on the atkins it sometimes took me two months to lose two pounds but after seven months it added up to 20pounds. Keep at it and you will lose weight but stop and you will definetly gain wight so there is really no choice.

Here is the fat fast that you wanted to read

you have to eat no more than 1000 cals a day 90% of it being fat

each is 5 feedings of 200 calories (90%) fat

" 1oz macadamia nuts. (approx 15 nuts) . alternatives brazil or walnut

" 20z philadelphia cheese . alternative st. andre

" 2 & half oz sour cream

"20z beef fry

" 2 egg yolks and 1oz mayo or half an advocado

Last edited by scotlass : Mon, Nov-12-01 at 10:31.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 02:01

Plan: CAD
Stats: 140.5/132/121
BF:
Progress: 44%

Thanks a lot for your motivation you two!!!

For a moment a thought my thread got lost and sent a new one!!
I did not receive the replies via e-mail as the previous time and nearly thought that I will be alone in my struggle.

I will keep to this diet for sure - I can not even imagine eating bread and potatoes again!

My husband wants to quit and I have no idea how to keep him on track - he loves pasta and bread!

I will try and do the fat fast, although a few days ago I tried to eat as much fat as I could and was so nauseous the rest of the day !! Maybe I overdid it a bit
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 06:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/148/133
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hiya

Tell your husband to go to the recipe section , there are some recipes for bread , muffins, pancakes etc using soya flour. I tried it and thought the were gross , but many others swear by them . Maybe I just made them wrong as cooking is not my strongest point. I would definetly try them. Your husband will be so dissapointed if he stops as there is only one thing he will gain and thats weight. Hope to hear how you get on

bye scotlass