Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300.5/260.0/130.0 Female 5'2"
BF:65%/58%/22%
Progress: 24%
Default Suggestions welcomed/Help needed!

Hi all,

I'll try not to make this too long. You can see my journal for more info. I started Atkins on 10/7/02. I didn't lose anything during induction, but in week 3 lost about 9 lbs. I've bounced around ever since. I have never eaten an off plan bite. I've never had a bar or other sugar alcohol product. I've found through the process of elimination that it isn't nuts, cheese or processed meats. Although I do avoid processed meats and I gave up nuts because I can't stop eating them.

I've eliminated my diabetes meds and got of depo shots because I thought it could be causing my stall. So I'm med free. My only downfall is that I don't exercise regularly and I need to do that. Also I don't always get in enough water, but I'm working on that.

I thought I had found the key and a few weeks back started a 1600 cal a day plan keeping fat at 70%, protein at 105+ grams a day and try to get to 20 total carbs a day. I didn't get enough carbs in, but it was amazingly hard to meet all the criteria. Anyway I lost the first two weeks then gained 1/2 lb in week 3 and another 1/2 lb in week 4. I know I haven't stalled for 6 weeks, but considering I've lost 16 lbs in 10 months I'm considering it a stall. I think I should be the posterchild for the metabolically resistant. I've been so patient on this plan and darn it I'm going to start seeing some results on the scale!

So I think I'm going to start the fat fast. I'm looking at as many posts as I can to find things to eat. I think I'm going to follow Meg's lead (thanks Meg) and do the following...

Sunday - fat fast
Monday - fat fast
Tuesday - fat fast
Wednesday - 1500 cal
Thursday - fat fast
Friday - fat fast
Saturday - 1800 cal

Any suggestions, advice, criticizm is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:57

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Lightbulb Try The Refeeding Technique

I posted this elsewhere, but thought it might help you too...

Well I was wondering about that too...I also remember reading in Body for Life that he suggested one day a week to EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT.... He suggested that it resets your metabolism... Anyway I went back to earlier posts and found this article posted by someone that explains it.... Go to the end and based on your percentage of body fat it tells you how many days to REFEED....

http://www.theministryoffitness.com...s/article18.htm

Sounds like it has worked for many...right now I am on my 3rd day of a FAT FAST, but I would rather be eating more carbs and foods I like versus, eggs, meat, and cheese.... So by Friday if this doesn't work then I will try the refeed on a day that we go out to eat... Breakfast man I can't wait to have pancakes.. Dinnner, a huge hamburger and luscious fries........ Lunch who cares.... lol... Dessert, cheesecake...

#3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 16:30

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't get to the link for some reason. It said page cannot be displayed. I'd be interested in reading it. I don't think I could have a day where I ate carbs though. I'm an all or nothing kinda girl and I'm pretty sure one carb day would quickly become all carb days.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 21:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Water really is important. Whenever my water intake drops, my weight loss slows down to a crawl. Try increasing your water for a week.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 07:09
Registered Member

Stats: 174/170/140 Female 153cm or  60"
BF:
Progress: 26%

What is a "fat fast" and what is it supposed to do for you?

Oops! Just found it in Dr. Atkins' book! "When in doubt, read the instructions"!

Last edited by Velvet : Thu, Aug-07-03 at 07:32.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 04:55

Stats: 188/187/172 Female 68 inches
BF:25/23/18
Progress:

I too have stalled, despite never going over 20g carbs in four weeks--I don't even remember what bread tastes like anymore!

I agree with the water intake, but I've also found that reducing sodium intake can help--I'm working on that now, less processed luncheon meats, etc.

It is frustrating at times, but I hope to reboost my metabolism soon.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 05:02

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Water, water, water is the key Seriously. water contains cromium in it which aids in the weight loss. Plus, it helps to clear the chemicals and stuff out of your body by cleansing your body. As a general rule of thumb, drink 8 8 oz glasses of water. Then, add an additional 8 oz for every 25 pounds you are overweight. So, based on the info for your stats, you should drink about 14 glasses of water a day. If you get it in before 6:00 PM, it is even better since your body will need a little time to work it throuh
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 08:06

I agree water is extremely important. However I did go for 2 months drinking 1 gallon of water a day minimum and drank no other beverage and I didn't lose a thing.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:16

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Thumbs up Refeeding Links...

Sorry looks like they changed the links...... Here is the new one...

http://www.theministryoffitness.com...s/article18.htm

If that link still doesn't work go to http://www.theministryoffitness.com
and enter the site... Then click on the Bodybuilding icon on the right...
click on article archive....go down to the Leptin and Refeeding article and select...

Also here are a few on this site where they discuss these techniques... Make a mental note regarding post 9....he really simplified it for me...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=16165

Also try searching the internet if you want to read more....Leptin and Refeeding....

It states in the article that it is much easier to lose for those who are most overweight...obviously...