Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 04:28

Plan: Carb Addicts????
Stats: 261.8/253/154
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default New Here

Hi Everyone

I am new here and thought I would introduct myself.

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2000 and was actually relieved (sort off) to find that there is a reason that I am having problems losing weight and that I am not a lazy little so and so.

Nobody that I saw was really helping me to find out what I need to do to get my PCOS under control, I kept getting told lose weight and everything will be ok. Well easier said than done.

So I decided to go it alone and find out what I should do, and have only just realised in the last few months that low carbing is the best thing for me.

So with that I started following (not strictly) a low carb plan and found that yes it does work, but I like groups like this to get extra support, so any suggestions for a newbie would be really welcomed.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 05:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/184/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Welcome

Welcome Echo,

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by starting with the LC way, and also by seeking more info regarding your diagnosis of PCOS.

Have you considered asking the Dr. who made your diagnosis to prescribe metformin? It is supposed to help with the whole insulin resistance problem.

I'm not sure how it works, but if any of the others out there do, a reply to this thread would be helpful!

I only recently started on it, so I cannot attest to it's benefits personally, however, many of the women on this site have reported great success on it.

Keep us posted!

Elizabeth2
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 07:05

Plan: My Own
Stats: 333/215/160 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default G'day

Welcome echo_rajah I'm really glad you found your way here and hope the support given is really helpful.

We're all in a similar boat here and it's good to have each other to get advise, information and support from.

There's also the Aus/NZ Support forum onthe menu - have avisit there too.

And the journals are really great to read and become a part of.

Byee for now,

Wendye (from the yahoo group!)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 13:01

Plan: protein power
Stats: 149/142/132
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default welcome echo

Hi! Welcome! I am fairly new here also. I have had PCOS for several years. And sordof like you - I "accidentally stumbled" upon low-carbing. And discovered that it eliminated almost all of my PCOS symptoms. I have NEVER been on metformin or any other medications to treat PCOS. I have found that the low-carb diet alone controls my symptoms. That enough is high motivation for me to maintain low-carb as a lifestyle. I have followed it for about 3 years now. I was in maintenance , but have dropped back to "phase 1" to try to lose more weight. Anyhow. welcome again to the group!!